Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day fellow petrol heads. I am about to purchase an RS after many test drives of various cars (excluding Civic type R and VW R as they demanded $5000-7000 over the sticker price -- I don't think so).

I would really appreciate if people could help me start off on the right foot before buying a car.

To date, I know that I should look for gasket issues (but that's only upon failure).

I would also love to speak with someone about Mountune upgrades that don't negate my warranty but increase the fun factor.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

·
Registered
85 Posts
Where are you located? In most places the head gasket recall should be done to any in stock RS before the dealer is allowed to sell it. Also, the recall should be done as soon as possible rather than waiting for problems to arise.

In terms of upgrades, the warranty friendliness is market dependent. In the UK Mountune upgrades are fully backed by the warranty provided the upgrades are installed by Mountune or a Ford dealer. In the US only parts from Ford Performance are backed by the warranty; however they can only deny a warranty claim if the failure is caused by or related to an upgrade. i.e. they cannot deny a claim for a failed trunk latch due to a tune etc. In the case of an engine/driveline failure they'd likely deny a warranty claim on a tuned car.
If you only have bolt-ons like an exhaust, intake, inter-cooler, and/or BOV (but never tuned) then YMMV depending on the dealership, but IMO should not negate the warranty on the engine/driveline.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome! All I know is that the later 2017 models don't have the issue. Mine is a September build and just had it confirmed that it won't be recalled (YES!). Are you planning on getting the new 2018 Limited Edition? You could always ask the dealer upfront whether the car you are looking at has the correct HG and ask them about the warranty void (if at all) with upgrades.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts