Ford Focus RS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
In the spirit of honesty and reporting what I observe...

I was wrong... or at least I am pretty sure I was wrong. I was out at our track again, in similar temps, similar lap times... and I could just not overheat my awd system. I could just not get it to shut off.

I was a bit mentally fatigued, and maybe not at my peak, but after 20 minutes of hard lapping at about 28 degrees Celsius, I had to slow down to rest my brain from the speed and intensity. It took at best 11 or so minutes of hard lapping to shut the AWD system off last time.

This is not scientific, but I take it back. Oil temps still got to 3/4 (never above), but no awd shutoff. No steering shutoff either after 20 minutes of hard lapping (being slowed by some traffic now and then), followed by a more relaxed final 10 minutes of lapping (so there is your 30 minutes).

I did change my driving style to minimize turn entry understeer, but i was on the gas earlier as a result, and using the awd more than before if anything. I was more obstructed by traffic, providing some cooling time, but I still felt like I was in the ball-park for comparison.

My only explanation is that Ford built in a computer defined protective break in for the drive-train. At over 2k miles (vs 1.2k last time), it makes sense. Or maybe i was just off my game (and i think i was due to mental fatigue). But still, the first time out it took 8 laps to disabled it... Even when i did not feel i was pushing overly hard.

Sorry about that folks. If I caused some fuss, I guess it is a good reminder not to believe all that you read on the internet.

The car seems to just be fast. For those that may have passed on their order out of fear of the awd heat "problem", at least you can console yourself that the car is hard on tires. Enjoy your STI or Golf R.

Two times a charm?

Another local RS with 12,000kms (?9K miles) was out at our track two weeks ago also. Different driver, 23oC, but he edged my best time by near 0.2 seconds after three sessions. At those temps I was originally able to shut the AWD off with 6 unobstructed hot laps. He had no such heating issues, however he was on a busier track and was often held up by slower traffic.
Glad you figured out how to drive the RS properly. So many people bury the car into the turn with too much speed and steering angle then blame the understeer on the car lol.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My takeaway from GS's posts and many others is that the general public doesn't fully understand how the car makes decisions about it's rear end. There's a lot of speculation and presumably some good guesses, but I've yet to see anything definitive from Ford or otherwise about the conditions under which that RDU shutdown happens. And honestly I can't even blame them because it's a lot better PR wise to let the public guess about whether it's a driving style or a particular track configuration that tickled out a problem that a relatively few number of owner's experienced.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Glad you figured out how to drive the RS properly. So many people bury the car into the turn with too much speed and steering angle then blame the understeer on the car lol.
Define properly. I was a second a lap slower to when I was driving the car "improperly."

And understeer is when your front tires lose grip before the rear in a given situation... resulting in reduced (or no) steering should you try to do so. You can watch my video and see that the car is turning as I intend to turn it. But this is a very understeering car (as are most street cars, especially nose heavy ones). I am not understeering into every corner... but I am on that edge of that front grip. More negative camber will help to make it closer to neutral, allowing for faster corner entry, and at the end of the day, faster laps.

Admittedly, I am working to find how this car likes to be driven... and so far, in my hands, it likes to be grabbed by the scruff of the neck and be thrown around a bit. My friend who was instructing me did well with it in the more traditional slow in, fast out. In both cases we had the tires chirping a bit in the corners. We figure the fastest time will be a combination of our styles.

This car needs way more negative front camber to minimize turn in understeer, to allow more speed on turn entry, and to preserve tires. But again, our track is harder on tires than most.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
My takeaway from GS's posts and many others is that the general public doesn't fully understand how the car makes decisions about it's rear end. There's a lot of speculation and presumably some good guesses, but I've yet to see anything definitive from Ford or otherwise about the conditions under which that RDU shutdown happens. And honestly I can't even blame them because it's a lot better PR wise to let the public guess about whether it's a driving style or a particular track configuration that tickled out a problem that a relatively few number of owner's experienced.
Lets face it, we are all making educated guesses right now. The best we can do is report what data we have. I am just trying to be honest with my long term data... if you can even all it data. Lots of variables, possibly too many to measure. In the end, time will tell.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Define properly. I was a second a lap slower to when I was driving the car "improperly."

And understeer is when your front tires lose grip before the rear in a given situation... resulting in reduced (or no) steering should you try to do so. You can watch my video and see that the car is turning as I intend to turn it. But this is a very understeering car (as are most street cars, especially nose heavy ones). I am not understeering into every corner... but I am on that edge of that front grip. More negative camber will help to make it closer to neutral, allowing for faster corner entry, and at the end of the day, faster laps.

Admittedly, I am working to find how this car likes to be driven... and so far, in my hands, it likes to be grabbed by the scruff of the neck and be thrown around a bit. My friend who was instructing me did well with it in the more traditional slow in, fast out. In both cases we had the tires chirping a bit in the corners. We figure the fastest time will be a combination of our styles.

This car needs way more negative front camber to minimize turn in understeer, to allow more speed on turn entry, and to preserve tires. But again, our track is harder on tires than most.
Here is a view of how to drive the ar fast that I would take over my own. Just about to read it... lets see if I agree, or if I can learn from them...
Ford Focus RS at Lightning Lap 2016 ? Feature ? Car and Driver

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
From the lightning lap. "And yet, to drive the RS properly is to disregard the familiar. Big initial steering inputs are rewarded with aggressive rotation. Once turned, its natural corner stance is often mildly tail-out. " Could explain why I lost a second when I tried the more traditional style you advise. Lap times win.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've got exactly the same expirience on the track. My local track is even more twisty than yours, RDU shuts down after 6-8 hot laps always. I've got a set of wrc rally tires but they don't work well on such a heavy car, as you've mentioned the sidewalls rollover, there were signs of the abuse on half of the sidewall. What hot tire pressure worked best for you?

·
Registered
91 Posts
On the other hand, I cooked the brakes in my porsche 997.2 c4 after 7 laps and the oil temp was extremely high. My friend's nissan gtr dashboard was flashing like a Christmas tree after 15 minutes of abuse on the same track. Short twisty tracks are killers.

·
Registered
398 Posts
When the cooling & RDU issues are addressed as well as the lack of camber adjustment I will strongly consider buying one of these again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been following the RS since it was debuted, and have been thinking about buying one for awhile now. The RDU issues and tire wear issues are a bit alarming. I would like to think that Gliding Serpent is correct, and that the RDU issue was resolved after 2k miles. However, I don't think that's the case, as I have seen a lot of other people complain about the same problems. But we'll have to see, it still is early and its winter in most of the US, so maybe by summer we will have more information.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Enjoy your STI or Golf R...

Is this even possible anymore?

Edit:this was to be humorous, don't take it literally. MOF I actually owe my ownership to the STI. If it wasn't for all the STI reviews saying hold out theres a new focus RS coming then Id already be a subaru owner. Thank you Youtube, thank you STI reviewers, thank you ford!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #133

Edit:this was to be humorous, don't take it literally. MOF I actually owe my ownership to the STI. If it wasn't for all the STI reviews saying hold out theres a new focus RS coming then Id already be a subaru owner. Thank you Youtube, thank you STI reviewers, thank you ford!
I think the new STI has an electric RDU. Give it a year and the RS will be old news. It is inedible how fast modern cars are getting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the new STI has an electric RDU. Give it a year and the RS will be old news. It is inedible how fast modern cars are getting.
The '18 STI is mostly like any other STI since 2004. The major changes come in the form of an ELSD center diff. (Was mechanical prior) bigger calipers and I think I read something about a revised 3rd gear, but that may only be on the type RA edition, which also gets an additional 5 hp for a total of 310 hp. I'm not impressed.

I've owned 2 Subarus in the past and driven the current model STI multiple times (unsupervised by a dealership representative) and it will take quite some changes to revert me from my '16 RS.

I really do hope Subaru makes something great out of the STI again, but it won't be with the current body/chassis and it won't have an EJ25. They have the capacity, but little incentive to do so. I do prefer the sound of the boxer over the 2.3 ecoboost and did weigh that heavily in my decision. I'm just afraid they'll use equal length runners on the exhaust and lose the character that I miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
On another note, I ran my RS for one 20 minute paced session and three 20 minute hot laps in high humidity 93 degree conditions without a bit of trouble from the brakes or the RDU and I was consistently pulling 1.2G in the corners on PSS tires. Not a single car (991 Carerra S, 997 GT3, C7 Vette, ATS-V sedan, 5.0 stangs, etc.) passed me in the novice group and my lines weren't even that good.

I'm impressed, but yes, this car is still front heavy and there is no electronic wizardry that can completely remove that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The '18 STI is mostly like any other STI since 2004. The major changes come in the form of an ELSD center diff. (Was mechanical prior) bigger calipers and I think I read something about a revised 3rd gear, but that may only be on the type RA edition, which also gets an additional 5 hp for a total of 310 hp. I'm not impressed.

I've owned 2 Subarus in the past and driven the current model STI multiple times (unsupervised by a dealership representative) and it will take quite some changes to revert me from my '16 RS.

I really do hope Subaru makes something great out of the STI again, but it won't be with the current body/chassis and it won't have an EJ25. They have the capacity, but little incentive to do so. I do prefer the sound of the boxer over the 2.3 ecoboost and did weigh that heavily in my decision. I'm just afraid they'll use equal length runners on the exhaust and lose the character that I miss.

+1000!!!! I'm gonna miss this:

But then it did this:

So it's been running a little quieter for the last four years anyway with just the cat back and Cobb stock flash (no Invidia down pipe or AEM intake anymore). I think I will be more content with the stock RS vs the STI, but I may have to get the Mountune flash and possibly the intake, lol. In its current state (Cobb stage 1 flash and cat back) I have not had any issues with reliability and it's now at 46K miles; so it just goes to show it does not take much to grenade an STI, but stick to factory or as near as possible to it (Cobb tune really fixed the shi**y factory mapping) and you're good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On another note, I ran my RS for one 20 minute paced session and three 20 minute hot laps in high humidity 93 degree conditions without a bit of trouble from the brakes or the RDU and I was consistently pulling 1.2G in the corners on PSS tires. Not a single car (991 Carerra S, 997 GT3, C7 Vette, ATS-V sedan, 5.0 stangs, etc.) passed me in the novice group and my lines weren't even that good.

I'm impressed, but yes, this car is still front heavy and there is no electronic wizardry that can completely remove that.

Were you running stock brake fluid?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I bought a 2014/5 STI when Ford hadn't yet announced they were making an AWD, I hate the last gen STI the engine and turbo-lag are awful as a track car ok (but the awd is neutral and boring I would buy something else to track) and I hate it I can't wait to get rid of it, the modes are completely fake all they do is induce turbo lag and totally mess up the throttle control it's either no acceleration or a on/off switch none of them having any use other than on a highway, which is where the STI way too old engine suffers the most....the engine response is the worst I have seen in the last 10 years any city car obliterates me in the 2000-4000rpm range aka in every day traffic at legal-ish speeds
I will also miss my Invidia Q300 cat-back which was making a better noise than most 100'000$ Audis I see every day so that was something, but the fact I'm being humiliated by 150hp cars at the exit of a highway workzone that I won't miss at all.

I do not recommend the last gen STI to anyone, they are way worse than the older models, the fake modes really make the car much worse for me, in Europe it was never reviewed as a good sportscar, most FWD end up being above it in comparisons and I'd have to agree I'll take a Honda CTR instead if the Ford wasn't there

My dream car is a Ford RS with the Mitsubishi evo AWD system (with a better designed ACD pump!)

·
Registered
388 Posts
On the other hand, I cooked the brakes in my porsche 997.2 c4 after 7 laps and the oil temp was extremely high. My friend's nissan gtr dashboard was flashing like a Christmas tree after 15 minutes of abuse on the same track. Short twisty tracks are killers.
If it's near your location I understand but other than that our cars are way too heavy for those it's Lotus territory.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts