Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. I think it will be a good thread in which we post our builds... whp.... driving style and things that have broken.

how is your driveline holding up, what clutch you use. what would you have done different and such.

picking my car up on the 27th to break in 1000km, initial dyno breakin and first 150km done. I will post my opinions once i have final tune and tested. but I should hopefully be around 450 to 500whp.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ohhhh i like this. I would love to hit those numbers, but this is my daily so i'm not sure about it just yet.

subbed

·
Registered
20 Posts
I daily'd my 500hp STI 4-6 days a week for about 8 months. My driving style was pretty much aggressive as I loved the way that thing took off on the highway. The 60mph WOT hits like a sledgehammer at 30psi... well I ended up spinning a bearing which I think was due to the abuse, even though I bought a really stout engine from IAG and tuned it with the best tuner in CO. I took really good care of it maintenance-wise and always watched my parameters. I guess being overly cautious wasn't enough to try and be "reliable" even with 500hp. My point is, I think once you reach a certain point in your build and you're making 450-500hp, things are gonna be put under a lot of stress and things will wear down quicker than at lower power levels. No way around it. Just hope your wallet is deep enough to keep rebuilding it. My wasn't lol

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I daily'd my 500hp STI 4-6 days a week for about 8 months. My driving style was pretty much aggressive as I loved the way that thing took off on the highway. The 60mph WOT hits like a sledgehammer at 30psi... well I ended up spinning a bearing which I think was due to the abuse, even though I bought a really stout engine from IAG and tuned it with the best tuner in CO. I took really good care of it maintenance-wise and always watched my parameters. I guess being overly cautious wasn't enough to try and be "reliable" even with 500hp. My point is, I think once you reach a certain point in your build and you're making 450-500hp, things are gonna be put under a lot of stress and things will wear down quicker than at lower power levels. No way around it. Just hope your wallet is deep enough to keep rebuilding it. My wasn't lol
I plan to be easy on it but i will probably change my mind when i get it lol

·
Registered
768 Posts
It's funny, having spent a lot of time with the Subaru community, how often they do this and just pretend it's not happening. Oh the stock motor is totally reliable at stage 2, until it's not. Oh the IAG built motor will totally hold 500hp, until it doesn't. I still follow that crowd and the EJs are eternally being rebuilt. I don't know if that's different from the other tuner communities, or if it's just because modification is so popular in the Subie world.

·
Registered
983 Posts
It's funny, having spent a lot of time with the Subaru community, how often they do this and just pretend it's not happening. Oh the stock motor is totally reliable at stage 2, until it's not. Oh the IAG built motor will totally hold 500hp, until it doesn't. I still follow that crowd and the EJs are eternally being rebuilt. I don't know if that's different from the other tuner communities, or if it's just because modification is so popular in the Subie world.
I've been involved in the Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, and now Ford modding communities and it's just varying degrees of the same thing, something always breaks. The Honda K Series engines were pretty stout, but the transmissions were glass. Evos, it was the Tcase. Subies, the engine. Very few have the means to stress test like OEMs do and even then sometimes the OEMs don't get it 100%. Gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
900 Posts

It is because enthusiasts think they can make a motor better than the factory without drawback to be honest.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I've been involved in the Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, and now Ford modding communities and it's just varying degrees of the same thing, something always breaks. The Honda K Series engines were pretty stout, but the transmissions were glass. Evos, it was the Tcase. Subies, the engine. Very few have the means to stress test like OEMs do and even then sometimes the OEMs don't get it 100%. Gotta pay to play.
Agree with the pay to play. Whenever you add power you need to add supporting mods in order to make it reliably without breaking things and to get it to the ground. In order to get a good result you need a wholistic approach to modding, and people often don't budget or consider that they need to make sure that everything behind and connected to the engine can handle the power. Oh, and making sure the car can stop too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you focus on cooling your fluids and engine temps I bet it wouldn't be hard to manage.
I would add an external cooler and another oil filter plus tons of heat management.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you focus on cooling your fluids and engine temps I bet it wouldn't be hard to manage.
I would add an external cooler and another oil filter plus tons of heat management.
I have an oil cooler. the car is a daily driver nothing else so I don't think heat will be an issue but you never know

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have an oil cooler. the car is a daily driver nothing else so I don't think heat will be an issue but you never know
Oil cooler restricts flow to your radiator. You're legit just passing around the heat to somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I’ve heard the larger radiator makes a much bigger difference for engine temps, since our blocks run essentially ‘water cooled exhaust header’ since they’re cast into the block.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I purchased the bigger mountune water radiator to compensate for the oil coolers restrictions of air flow. Also Nutron pro moto are doing a PTU cooler and an RDU cooler might be worth emailing them as I don’t think it’s listed on their website

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
How did that Mountune radiator work for temps?
I've been wondering the same. This seems like a mod that gives you more headroom, much like a FMIC. But for $500 it's almost a no-brainer, especially that it has metal end tanks.

I'll probably be picking one up during the eventual Labor Day or (more likely) Black Friday sales. I'm not looking forward to the install, but it might be a good time to finally switch over to yellow coolant.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
I've been wondering the same. This seems like a mod that gives you more headroom, much like a FMIC. But for $500 it's almost a no-brainer, especially that it has metal end tanks.

I'll probably be picking one up during the eventual Labor Day or (more likely) Black Friday sales. I'm not looking forward to the install, but it might be a good time to finally switch over to yellow coolant.
Same. After my overheating issues at my last autocross event, this is a must next time it goes in sale.

·
Registered
361 Posts
OK, while we're talking about temps, why doesn't anyone ever mention the 160˚ thermostat that Livernois sells. Also seems like a no brainer being super cheap. Totally diff platform but every modded Vette gets one.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Same. After my overheating issues at my last autocross event, this is a must next time it goes in sale.

It is on sale right now bud.

$85 cheaper than when I bought mine.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
Reactions: nicklulu
1 - 20 of 25 Posts