Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
@Randy says "the ECU tune does all the heavy lifting"

putting your RS on a diet is another way to make the car faster. remove the rear seats and rear cabin accessories, get some light wheels, light battery, light brake rotors...these are good for -145 lbs...which is very noticeable on the "butt dyno"

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
186 Posts
Tune/fmic/hpfp/fuel injector upgrade. That’s not the cheapest way but the most efficient available at this time. Allows you to run any fuels e85 ect and 400whp won’t be an issue. You could also do an intake as well but not necessary for this power goal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tune/fmic/hpfp/fuel injector upgrade. That’s not the cheapest way but the most efficient available at this time. Allows you to run any fuels e85 ect and 400whp won’t be an issue. You could also do an intake as well but not necessary for this power goal.
I've been told the same thing. With full bolt-ons and an E85 auxiliary fuel kit, you should be able to hit 400 WHP... And adding a larger turbocharger (nx2) and cams (fp) will reduce the risk of detonation. Should also help increase your WHP, but by how much... I don't know!??

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
186 Posts
I've been told the same thing. With full bolt-ons and an E85 auxiliary fuel kit, you should be able to hit 400 WHP... And adding a larger turbocharger (nx2) and cams (fp) will reduce the risk of detonation. Should also help increase your WHP, but by how much... I don't know!??
That’s a big NEGATIVE on the aux. You can’t run full e85 on the aux kit. Speaking from experience and not what “people” told me I know. Also your wrong about the turbo, the stock turbo can reach 400 as well. Also you don’t need “cams”. Anyone who owns a 400whp RS should chime in,not people like this who go by the “ A guy told me this” type of response.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That’s a big NEGATIVE on the aux. You can’t run full e85 on the aux kit. Speaking from experience and not what “people” told me I know. Also your wrong about the turbo, the stock turbo can reach 400 as well. Also you don’t need “cams”. Anyone who owns a 400whp RS should chime in,not people like this who go by the “ A guy told me this” type of response.
Your correct about being able to reach 400 HP on the stock turbo with the E85 kit.
However the Ford Performance cams are supposed to increase overlap and reduce the risk of detonation. Same with the aftermarket turbocharger, it's supposed to reduce pressure, both in and out, and increase air volume while also reducing the risk of detonation.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
671 Posts
You do not need extra fueling to hit 400+fwhp with ethanol. The OE injectors and pumps will allow you around an e44 mix, and only e30 is needed to get over 400hp. If you want to be a little safer, you could run e40 and lower your boost. I'm mixing with crappy 91 octane and get 403hp with e30 and 415hp with e40.

I normally run a little over (e32 and e42) and with e42 the injectors are close to being maxed, according to my tuner.

Supporting mods would be a new intercooler, hot and cold pipes, a down pipe, a better recirc valve, and a FuelIt ethanol sensor. There are other mods that helped get those numbers, but those were the main requirements from my tuner. Like a larger throttle body gained about 9hp on my 91 octane tune, and the high rpm power held longer too (a little over 20hp difference at 6500rpm).

·
Registered
47 Posts
You do not need extra fueling to hit 400+fwhp with ethanol. The OE injectors and pumps will get allow you around an e44 mix, and only e30 is needed to get over 400hp. If you want to be a little safer, you could run e40 and lower your boost. I'm mixing with crappy 91 octane and get 403hp with e30 and 415hp with e40.

I normally run a little over (e32 and e42) and with e42 the injectors are close to being maxed, according to my tuner.

Supporting mods would be a new intercooler, hot and cold pipes, a down pipe, a better recirc valve, and a FuelIt ethanol sensor. There are other mods that helped get those numbers, but those were the main requirements from my tuner. Like a larger throttle body gained about 9hp on my 91 octane tune, and the high rpm power held longer too (a little over 20hp difference at 6500rpm).
That's good information! I have the auxiliary fuel system installed on my 2.3 Ecoboost, but haven't got as far as choosing fuel or tuning.
I did run a mix of ethanol and 93 octane (E23-E27), while running the stock OE fuel system (93 tune) with good results, cut 4/10 seconds off my 1/4 mile. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
186 Posts
I went through the whole e30-e50 blends. After a while it got extremely annoying mixing fuels and when the hpfp and injectors came out my attitude was like “F” mixing and use e85 straight from the pump. My main point was, what was “efficient”. Yes there’s plenty of ways but honestly who really wants to measure and blah blah blah with aux? Cams only
Without head work and this is my experienced opinion is a waste. Either go full built or just don’t. The nx2 can easily be run on a stock long block but just save your money because you'll need it when the block goes boom “my experience” again and build it.
This is for coyote chaser, I wasn’t trying to hate on you but if I can pass all my “F ups” and what I learned from blowing my own sh*t up I’ll try to help. Also if your looking for a tuner for aux, Adam is probably the best in the business at tune plus for doing so. He might come across cranky but overall he knows his sh*t.
Best of luck to anyone building this platform. It’s not cheap that’s for sure but there’s a character in the RS that’s just unique either in a good or bad way.

You do not need extra fueling to hit 400+fwhp with ethanol. The OE injectors and pumps will allow you around an e44 mix, and only e30 is needed to get over 400hp. If you want to be a little safer, you could run e40 and lower your boost. I'm mixing with crappy 91 octane and get 403hp with e30 and 415hp with e40.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
671 Posts
@Magnus79 I get your point about not wanting to mix. A while ago 91 octane was about $2 / gallon higher than normal, and the flex fuel was $1 less than 91 octane. I was thinking about seeing if a better HPFP could flow enough with the OE injectors that I could use straight flex fuel. Here 90% of the ethanol pumps are e54 so I also thought it would be great to not have to mix any more! My tuner said the pump might be able to push enough through the OE injectors for e50, but he wasn't sure about e54. I'm still willing to test that out, but I have other things the car needs more urgently.

I was just clarifying the requirements to run ethanol blends because of how much more the cost of the HPFP and injectors would add.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I've been making 400whp for three years now, you can do it with E30 on the stock fuel system. You also don't need an ethanol sensor, just use the Tune+ calculator and the fuel level on the Access Port. I've also used E85 with a 4 port aux fueling and it's convenient but I only get 140 miles a tank, and if I don't use the car for more than 48 hours it has trouble fueling on cold start but runs flawlessly afterwards.

tl;dr Just get a WMI or E30 tune on your stock car and put an intercooler on it.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
671 Posts
Just a note about the Tune+ web calculator. I've had it glitch out on me several times and I ended up with too much e85. There are reliable and better phone app calculators.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
That's because it uses the entire tank capacity (13.9 gal) instead of the actual fillable amount (~12.5 gal). I usually underfill the ethanol by 0.2 gal and it gets me my target E%. I did eventually buy an ethanol sensor for peace of mind, and it just confirmed that I've been right.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
671 Posts
I mean that if I do a calculation before getting to the gas station, then adjust it when I got there, some of the fields would reset to their default, but still show the values I entered. I think the big one was the ethanol %. I have e54 here, and some of the times I used that web calc it would base the calculation on 85%.

I use a phone app now, and it retains all the values. All I have to do is adjust the tank full % and hit calculate.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I mean that if I do a calculation before getting to the gas station, then adjust it when I got there, some of the fields would reset to their default, but still show the values I entered. I think the big one was the ethanol %. I have e54 here, and some of the times I used that web calc it would base the calculation on 85%.

I use a phone app now, and it retains all the values. All I have to do is adjust the tank full % and hit calculate.
You can change the e% on the app calc from 85 to 54? Wouldn't that solve that issue?

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
671 Posts
Yes, and I did. But when I went back to the page to alter my tank %, it would still show 54% ethanol, but it was actually using a value of 85%, which really screwed up my mixing. That happened several times, and only with that scenario. I had no issues (other than the actual tank capacity) if I open the web calc and used what it told me the first time.

But I'm much happier with the app, since it retains all values and I only have to adjust a tank % slider. My 91 octane here has 9% ethanol (not 10%), so I'd always have to adjust that on the tune+ page too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's because it uses the entire tank capacity (13.9 gal) instead of the actual fillable amount (~12.5 gal). I usually underfill the ethanol by 0.2 gal and it gets me my target E%. I did eventually buy an ethanol sensor for peace of mind, and it just confirmed that I've been right.
Is your ethanol sensor connected to a dash gauge or bluetooth device?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts