Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Day 40 of the order receiving process is over. Now reset the clocks for any mods that will occur, as well as the events that take place with the new ride.

First order of business this morning, the wheel/tire package to get the Cup 2 tires off of daily driving duty.

Waiting for backorders:
- O.Z. Leggera HLT, Bright Race Grey, 18x8, 5x108 PCD, +45mm offset ordered 2016-Jul-30, delivery mid-Sep Cancelled due to Ford Service issues and my lack of confidence in Ford supporting this vehicle
- Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R 245/40R18 97W XL ordered 2016-Jul-30, delivery mid-Sep Cancelled due to Ford Service issues and my lack of confidence in Ford supporting this vehicle

Installed:
- OptiCoat Pro+ coating installed 2016-Aug-04
- 3M Crystalline CR60 windows and CR90 windshield tint installed 2016-Aug-04
- GarageLine pedal spacer - Install documented here installed 2016-Aug-20
- Aries mats all around installed 2016-Aug-24

Next planned purchases:
- License plate front bracket and frames
- Possibly a weighted shift knob (5th gear isn't engaging very well, but the synchro is brand new so hopefully it seats in the future with more shifts)

Completed events:
- PCH drive Aug 5th, 2016 Northbound
- SCCA Time Trials at Buttonwillow Raceway Park Sep 3rd & 4th, 2016
- North LA County canyon run Sep 10th

Planned events:
- Random Cars & Coffees
- Quarterly canyon runs with the co-workers

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, that was a fun exercise.

I had ordered the Sparcos from Tire Rack because my first choice wheel was not available until late September. So I compromised and got the next best wheel that was available.

Then, after I place the order, I was contacted to say the TPMS sensors are not available until late September also. So I'm back to my first choice of wheel with a 2 month wait now. Such is life when outfitting brand new cars I guess.

So, the list is now:
- O.Z. Leggera HLT, Bright Race Grey, 18x8, 5x108 PCD, +45mm offset
- Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R 245/40R18 97W XL
RaceWheels2.png

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Went out and gave the car a once over, removing all the stickers and such. (It is hard to tell if anyone is in your blind spot when the Monroney Sticker is still in the LR window.)

Looks good so far. Didn't see the spring blocks. Tire pressures were all within 1 psi of target. All wheels have matching (yet ugly) center caps. Just yanked the "Focus" emblem off the back with my fingers it was so lightly attached.

Tint on Wednesday, OptiCoat Pro+ on Thursday, then drive to Sonoma on Friday.

I think I like the black plate better than the white, so I'll probably order that next week when I get back in town.
BlackPlateRearFoRS.PNG

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the burbles today. Sport mode, 2nd gear, 50% pedal to lift. Sounded like three or four each time I did it in these conditions. More than I was expecting, so I'm not unhappy with that.

Got the Cayenne turbo sold. I'm going to miss that bad mama jama, but I think the FoRS will fill the void nicely.

Also was struggling with the dual zone climate the last two days. When I picked the car up, the salesperson showed me how each side could (in theory anyway) be controlled independently. But we couldn't figure out how to get it back in to single-zone. So I mashed the Auto button for a second and it synched the sides back together.

While I was bored this morning waiting on a ride to go pick up the Cayenne, I also made an Excel sheet to track costs, fuel, and maintenance on the car. If anyone wants a copy, I'd happily share it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from a "break in drive".

Saw at least 2 heads snap and had a conversation with WRX driver at a redlight.

Not sure who it was that felt that these cars aren't attention grabbers, but I have less than 100 miles on the odo and already got more attention than I care for.

Started exploring the burbles more tonight as well. It seems to pop/burble less the higher the rpms are when you lift. Seems like the sweet spot is 3500 to 4000 rpm and mid-pedal at lift.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OptiCoat Pro+ and 3M Crystalline CR60 tint going on today and tomorrow. Then it is picture/vlog time and to kick it all off, a drive up the PCH!

I'm ready.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I was damn near speechless when I saw it like this for the first time though. So I'll let the pictures tell you the thousand words better than I can.
StartOfDrivingPleasure.png

Expect to see some vloggy-type videos on my drive this weekend also, but they probably won't be available until late next week. So just keep anticipating.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Day 40 of the order receiving process is over. Now reset the clocks for any mods that will occur, as well as the events that take place with the new ride.

Wound up with
- O.Z. Leggera HLT, Bright Race Grey, 18x8, 5x108 PCD, +45mm offset ordered 2016-Jul-30, delivery mid-Sep
Let me know how these work out, they are the precise wheel I'm looking at.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me know how these work out, they are the precise wheel I'm looking at.
Will do. Not sure when I'll be able to get them on track though. Tire Rack told me the wheels are here mid-August but the TPMS won't be available until late September. So maybe October I'll get my first feel for them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I have almost 1200 miles on the car. One thing that stands out now: When I drive in a spirited fashion, the car stinks like brake/clutch when I get out, even after a long cool down before getting out.

Not sure which one it is, but I'm taking the car in on Tuesday for a look/see by the supposed pros and will get an early oil change while I'm there. Should be interesting to see.

Also, fuel usage report:
51.907 gallons, 1147 miles, 22.1 MPG - This is heavy on highway miles though, so yours may vary

·
Registered
438 Posts
Subbing to your thread.
*thumbs up* on the car.

As for the smells after driving, you should be able to tell whether it's brake related or clutch. There shouldn't be any clutch smells unless you're constantly launching it. Brakes will run hot (it's not the lightest car), but it can handle it. Just make sure you potter around at high enough speeds for long enough to cool everything down.

Perhaps some uprated brake fluid might be in order?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Subbing to your thread.
*thumbs up* on the car.

As for the smells after driving, you should be able to tell whether it's brake related or clutch. There shouldn't be any clutch smells unless you're constantly launching it. Brakes will run hot (it's not the lightest car), but it can handle it. Just make sure you potter around at high enough speeds for long enough to cool everything down.

Perhaps some uprated brake fluid might be in order?
Thanks for the info @JahjaMan and I think I know what is causing the smell. But being the engineer that I am, I don't want to presume anything so I will test my theory a little bit before announcing the results.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just went on a hunt for blue flames spitting out the tail pipe during pop/burble. I found none with my terrible action camera. I swear I saw a flash of blue one time though, but of course, I didn't have the camera set up to record it. I'll have to keep searching to see if it was all in my mind.
@JahjaMan >>> I'm more than half certain that it is from feathering the clutch trying to back the car into tight parking spots. But I'm not full-on certain of that yet. Shouldn't take too long to figure out though, it is a lingering burnt friction material smell.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As mentioned above, I went hunting blue flames last night. Here are the results.

The rattling noise is the protective lens cover on my camera. Sorry for that. Sound should be better on future videos as I am getting a sound recorder with long cable microphone. I may end up remaking these videos after it arrives.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GRRR ... I just got mad at the car.

Had one of my favorite jams going via USB on the stereo at about 20 on the volume gauge (i.e. Loud).

Sitting at a stoplight waiting to turn left in Neutral, no brake.

Didn't realize the Start/Stop had gone to Stop (must have really been jammin').

Stalled the flippin' thing 2 times trying to get going because it wouldn't restart promptly. Maybe due to the 100+°F day we are having today, but I'm not happy about that.

I was so steamed the 3rd time, I wound it out to 4 grand and feathered the clutch out to make sure it wouldn't stall again. And guess what ... that smell I've been smelling is clutch. This makes me double not happy.

So I guess the mental note here is to turn Start/Stop off when it is super hot out and I don't feel like paying attention to every little whisper the engine makes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Accel Pedal Spacer Install

Tools:

10mm socket (deep preferred, but I did with standard depth)
Ratchet (3/8" or 1/4" drive, I used 3/8")
Various length extensions
10mm ratcheting wrench
Small tripod mounted light for visibility
Tape measure (optional)

20160820_105438.jpg

Steps:

O1] Measure accel pedal location if you want to know how much it changed

20160820_091458.jpg

R01] Break two nuts loose at top and bottom of accel pedal with 10mm wrench

R02] Run nuts off of studs with ratchet on bottom stud, with ratcheting wrench on top stud

R03] Unplug pedal and remove from car

R04] Tape bolts to keep them in place being sure not to put tape where it will get trapped when you install the spacer and it is nice to put a fold-over on the tape so it is easy to remove

20160820_095211.jpg

R05] Place spacer on studs confirming that both studs are in holes

R06] Start nuts back on top stud first, then bottom stud

R07] Snug nuts, position spacer so that socket will go on both nuts, then final tighten

R08] Pull tape off of bolts, being sure it all comes off

R09] Remove nuts and washers from bolts

R10] Put pedal onto one bolt and start the nut onto bolt (I did bottom first because easier to find)

R11] Put pedal onto other bolt and start that nut (I did it by feel with only the nut & washer in my hand)

R12] Run the nuts snug on both ends, again with ratcheting wrench on top one and ratchet with extension on bottom

R13] Slide the pedal to final position (I did full right since I have long, wide feet)

R14] Final tighten both nuts, again with ratcheting wrench on top one and ratchet with extension on bottom

R15] Plug pedal back into harness

O2] Remeasure accel pedal location to know how much it changed

20160820_105135.jpg

R16] Go for a test drive to see if you want the accel pedal any closer to brake pedal

NOTES:
As all the install videos say, it is extremely tight in there.

I considered taking the driver seat out so I could lay in the floor to do the install, but just ended up backing the seat all the way back and raising the steering wheel.

It took me a bit of time to do because I just had a torn labrum repaired in my left shoulder and I'm still recovering, I'm diabetic and my blood sugar was extremely low from exerting myself, and I was looking at people getting in their cars (I have some very attractive neighbors). But, without all that, I imagine it could be done in half an hour if you don't ****er around and are more flexible than I am.

Well, I'm off to go take my test drive. Enjoy! If this needs to be posted elsewhere, feel free to steal my material.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far, I'm liking the pedal spacer. It might be a little high, but I won't know for sure until Labor Day weekend when the car goes on track.

Had some joker in a boring rental-type-car (maybe a Nissan Altima) pull up beside me and ask how it was. He was pleasant, but I didn't expect that type of car to contain enough of a car person to recognize my white RS from other Focii. It was ok, but I wish the old dude would have been that JDM chick I found on Craigslist the other night. :)

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
So far, I'm liking the pedal spacer. It might be a little high, but I won't know for sure until Labor Day weekend when the car goes on track.

Had some joker in a boring rental-type-car (maybe a Nissan Altima) pull up beside me and ask how it was. He was pleasant, but I didn't expect that type of car to contain enough of a car person to recognize my white RS from other Focii. It was ok, but I wish the old dude would have been that JDM chick I found on Craigslist the other night. :)
Thanks for the updates, let us know how the pedal spacer works out.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts