Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One thing we can all agree on is the new Ford Focus RS on paper seems like the ultimate street legal rally car, surpassing the Wrx Sti, Golf R, and giving stiff competition to Audi's R line. As someone who lives in New England and deals with snow on a weekly basis in the winter, the RS is a dream come true for those reluctant to buy into the 'boy racer' image of the STI. But, given that Ford consistently ranks among the worst car manufactures for reliability and dependability, how can you justify spending $36k-$41k on a car with so many new features to Ford?

I like what the Focus RS stands for, but if the asking price is more than an STI I think Ford will loose a lot of potential buyers because of their track record. The 2.3L Ecoboost is still too new to know of its issues since most mustangs with the ecoboost engine have under 30k miles.

How comfortable do you feel paying nearly $40k for an unproven engine, backed by an unreliable company? (Not to mention all of the other unproven features; torque vectoring, center diff, etc)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Take my money!

Reactions: SyncTheory13

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm not worried about reliability and if anything happens, that's what the warranty is for

Also, if the drivetrain is developed by Magna I'll have full faith in it - the active sports differential is great in my Audi S6

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Assuming the 2016 model will be available in spring, wouldn't it make sense to wait until September 2016 and purchase a 2017 model? It's likely the first generation global RS will have a number of defects that will be refined in a later model. Also, assuming there are enough to meet demand, you could get a great deal on a 2016 model once the 2017s are announced. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Assuming the 2016 model will be available in spring, wouldn't it make sense to wait until September 2016 and purchase a 2017 model? It's likely the first generation global RS will have a number of defects that will be refined in a later model. Also, assuming there are enough to meet demand, you could get a great deal on a 2016 model once the 2017s are announced. Just a thought.
As for many this will be the case, not to mention a good idea for those who can't leave their vehicle alone and will have a good basis for what mods work and what doesn't and enough time to have options on the market.

·
Super Moderator
16,257 Posts
But, given that Ford consistently ranks among the worst car manufactures for reliability and dependability, how can you justify spending $36k-$41k on a car with so many new features to Ford?

How comfortable do you feel paying nearly $40k for an unproven engine, backed by an unreliable company? (Not to mention all of the other unproven features; torque vectoring, center diff, etc)
Ford has taken a beating when it comes to customer complaints primarily due to SYNC being in the majority of vehicles.

I've purchased nothing but Fords over the years and I had many of the same questions as I was purchasing a Mustang GT when the 4.6L first offered in it back in 96. I still have that vehicle, it has 150K, on the engine and runs strong I'm currently refreshing it as a project car.

Any issues that may arise will be addressed by Ford so I'm not worried about reliability. I guarantee you that Ford has done their homework on the 2.3 EB along with the fact having a lot riding on the RS badge/tradition.

Reactions: KingZee

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not worried a bit. I just hope I can get one at MSRP in a reasonable amount of time after they are released.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I currently have a 2015 wrx sti and I'm looking forward to the RS for sure. As far as price, it is right in line if you look at STI pricing. As far as reliability, I've never had issues with my fords before (1998 cobra, 2004 cobra, 2012 GT500, 2013 GT500). I'm actually more worried about the 2.5 in my STI taking a crap .. and it's stock.

Crowley

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not worried at all.

I have had my share of Fords,

Past SVTs:
2000 Silver Lightning
2002 CD Silver SVT Focus
2003 Yellow Cobra
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra

Past Mustangs:
2000 Oxford White Mustang GT
2002 Yellow Mustang GT
2003 DSG Mach 1
2006 Yellow Mustang GT

Past SHOs:
1989 Titanium Taurus SHO
1991 Green Taurus SHO plus
1996 Black Taurus SHO
1999 Green SHO

Other "Fords":
1989 Ford Bronco II
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII

The only ones that ever saw the shop was the Bronco II for a head gasket, at 140K miles and 13 years old and the 99 SHO for a TSB.

I had a 02 Subaru WRX bug eye, and 2004 WRX STi, both were in the shop while under the original factory warranty.

I have no problem buying the Ford RS reliability wise. I more concerned on how the RS will holds its value. If it is like a Shelby or a Golf R, I will be quite happy.

Reactions: mofoRS

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've never had an issue with any of my fords. The only reason they had bad ratings in reliability is because of issues with the earlier versons of sync/myfordtouch. I never had problems with it though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Most issues are transmission and head gasket related. Unless these cars are limited production, I can't see them holding their value above $25k after 5 years

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah Sync kinda sucks. But I didn't get my ST for sync. About to hit 30k miles on my 13 ST3 and the engine has been issue free. There have been little things here and there but I haven't had a new vehicle that didn't have a quirks right off of the lot.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
With these posts, why is your username "rsfan", it should be "rsskeptic" or "rshater".

I think 40k for a Ford is a bit high IMO, the RS will also have the boy racer stigma, don't fool yourself.

This is my first Ford, I have never ever considered buying American junk until now, this will be my first American car. If Ford nails it I will be totally stoked, it appears they have nailed it on paper. Depreciating 15k in 5 years is not that bad, if you are worried about it, don't buy the car.

One thing we can all agree on is the new Ford Focus RS on paper seems like the ultimate street legal rally car, surpassing the Wrx Sti, Golf R, and giving stiff competition to Audi's R line. As someone who lives in New England and deals with snow on a weekly basis in the winter, the RS is a dream come true for those reluctant to buy into the 'boy racer' image of the STI. But, given that Ford consistently ranks among the worst car manufactures for reliability and dependability, how can you justify spending $36k-$41k on a car with so many new features to Ford?

I like what the Focus RS stands for, but if the asking price is more than an STI I think Ford will loose a lot of potential buyers because of their track record. The 2.3L Ecoboost is still too new to know of its issues since most mustangs with the ecoboost engine have under 30k miles.

Most issues are transmission and head gasket related. Unless these cars are limited production, I can't see them holding their value above $25k after 5 years

Reactions: mofoRS

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I just wish ford sold the RS in the states decades ago. I would have never owned STi's as the engine is garbage and the rest of the car it is solid and very tough. That's why I changed my user name from mofoSTI to mofoRS. If ford does me right on this I'm not looking back. Infact I'm already thinking of other ford products to replace my other cars with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm a fan of a lot of cars that symbolize change in the automobile industry, but that doesn't necessarily mean I would buy any of them. I'm a fan of the Focus RS not for the car it is or will ever become, but because its raising the bar for AWD affordable daily sport sedans.

I hope this car is a success, and not because I intend on buying on, but more so so other manufactures begin designing cars tailored to this niche market. Who wouldn't want a Toyota or Honda version over a Ford? Similar cars like the Audi RS3 and A45 AMG are far too expensive in comparison, so hopefully other manufactures join the rally inspired club with the success of the Focus RS

Just because the Focus RS disrupts the norm of the rally inspired class with power, doesn't necessarily mean its deserving of a $36k - $41k price tag. Subaru has held the avg. car in this class to an MSRP of $36k since it ruled this market for a decade, but that doesn't mean Ford can enter and just price match. Subaru actually has a proven legacy. Ford is simply trying to create one and thinks pricing their car higher means higher quality (not the case). Just wait a year or two for Subaru, Volkswagen, Audi and others to introduce a more refined version with more reliability, and hopefully a lower MSRP.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts