Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I loaded the rental with my new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 in 245/35R19 size to mount on my new RS.

It was sorta of a mess there in PA & didn't want to chance it on the roads with those summer/track tires on cold roads for the 6-hour trip home.

Surprisingly, these tires are just as wide & tall as the 235/35R19 track tire.....

Here's pics for reference:

[URL=http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/alohadan/media/IMG_58961_zpsarh1auie.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/alohadan/media/IMG_0487_zps21bqgmqr.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/alohadan/media/IMG_58971_zpsuyhjkxyo.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/alohadan/media/IMG_0488_zps7aozqfvj.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
473 Posts
2017-01-21 13.07.13.jpg

______________ Cup2s __________________________ Super Sports ______________

Why did you decide to go to 245/35R19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and how much different is the A/S compared to the Super Sports?
I bought a second OEM set from a forum member, thats just me I want to stay stock.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't need track tires and wanted a set that lasts more than 10,000 miles.

Plus I want to be able to do a true four-wheel rotation and be able to drive safely in real-world conditions. Plus they were on clearance, about $40 cheaper than the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

If you look at the Cup2 tire & Pilot A/S 3 tire specs:

Tread width [Actual Tire Foot-print] is basically the same and the Pilot A/S 3 is literally 3/10" of inch taller

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing I don't have enough posts yet to list these. Removed from the car with only 10 miles the very moment the paperwork was signed at the dealer [same day].

·
Registered
473 Posts

Plus I want to be able to do a true four-wheel rotation and be able to drive safely in real-world conditions. Plus they were on clearance, about $40 cheaper than the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

Tread width [Actual Tire Foot-print] is basically the same and the Pilot A/S 3 is literally 3/10" of inch taller
Yeah the Cup2s do not like the cold, I got lucky someone was selling OEM Wheels with Super Sports and only 600 miles on them. (I now have a spare) :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can I ask why All season over something like the new Pilot Super Sports 4s about to come out? They will have a 30k tread life and are not a track tire.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Can I ask why All season over something like the new Pilot Super Sports 4s about to come out? They will have a 30k tread life and are not a track tire.
The AS3 is hardly a AS tire, more like a 3 season tire. It's pretty close performance wise to the PSS. What it gives up in performance it gains in tread life.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Winter. I have used the PS A/S 3's on several cars and Boostd is right. It is the closest thing you can get to a PSS. They do not like the cold as much as other all season tires but the seem to outperform many other brands high performance summer tires.

·
Registered
317 Posts
And AS3's actually "work" in the snow.
I have 245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 Plus, and they're amazing. From my non-track day spirited driving, they don't give up much to the PSS I had on before. If you look up some tirerack and other online reviews, you'll see that they actually rate higher in performance than the Continental ExtremeContact DW (not DWS... DW), which was the tire I was considering going to.

So far the AS3+ have done quite well in California snow... I haven't tested them in deep snow, though. For California, where temperatures fluctuate from 28F in winter to 110F in summer, and where I experience rain, hail, mud, and light snow, these IMO are the best do-it-all tire.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
And AS3's actually "work" in the snow.
If by work you mean won't kill you, then sure they work.

But they don't DWS or dedicated winters work.

If you just need a tire to get through a few snow days, but want something with summer tire grip the rest of the year than these are probably for you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had DWS's on my Miata for winter use and they were kinda slippery.

My Mustang has DW's on it and I've been happy with the grip...
If anyone has C2's they need to offload, pm me

·
Registered
1 Posts

@4rd SVT How have they held up? Have you had any rubbing? I plan on buying these tires for my stock forged 19's as well, but I want to make sure that I will absolutely not have any clearance issues 1st. If I even think I will, I'm just going to go with the Eagle Exhilarates in 235/35/19.

Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the stock/OE suspension; No rubbing or fitment issues at all with the 245/35R19 Michelin A/S-3 tires-

Only had an issue when I used my Colgan-Bra front mask. The driver's side tire worn down one of the bra/mask straps that fold around the fender.

Actually I'm trying to find [eBay] or buy a single used/high-tread 255//35R19 Michelin tire to "test-fit" before I commit to a new full set of 255/35R19's.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
If you are going to 255 35 19, you'll need wider rims...8.5" min, preferably 9". Be careful of the offset, or you'll have excessive poke.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts