Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello has anyone ran 235/40r19 on their stock wheels at stock height. I just purchased the car and I'm not opposed to the larger diameter. I just want to know if they fit without rubbing. I searched and there was no definitive answer.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Your speedo will read about 2mph high at 60mph.

As for if they fit without rubbing? You have the car, you should know if you drove it around.

Why people fit the wrong diameter tires I can't ever fathom. Wider sure, but changing the overall diameter without at least making an attempt to get close is crazy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I specifically want more sidewall. Not a fan of the rubber bands it came with. We do not have the best roads where I'm from. I don't want to buy another set of wheels 18" for my car the wife would probably murder me in my sleep.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Here are the optional tire size recommended by a popular tire site:

if you can squeeze 245/35/19 I think 235/40/19 should be ok...other than the speedo

Reactions: lflouie

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Haven't run the 235 40 19, but understand the desire for more sidewall/better ride. If your primary use is as a DD, and your goal is ride quality and willing to tradeoff a little bit of handling, switching to Continental or Hankook sport tire in the standard size will work. A 235 40 on stock rims will fit, and otherwise for street use you probably won't notice a degradation in acceleration or normal handling.

What you will notice is more traction control intervention if you choose tires with different traction characteristics. A friend tried some mid- performance rated tires and felt it traded off to much performance for his liking.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Sell the OEM rims, buy a set of 18" rims. Run 235/40/18 and you'll be very close. If you don't mind tuning the car you can run any diameter that its because they can plug those into the PCM so it calculates the MPH correctly.

Even on my old TransAm PCM calculates speed based on tire height and a few other variables.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
This might also be an alternative:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Supersports are discontinued. PS4S is the replacement. Whatever is out there is old stock. I'd watch the date codes on those tires so you don't get a really old tire.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Good Point.

I was pointing that the PS4S would be more forgiving on the streets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car came with a Cobb accessport so tuning for different tire sizes isn't a problem. I wouldn't mind trading for 18" wheels if I liked them. It would however be alot easier to just buy a set of 235/40r19s and not get ugly looks from the wifey. I mean people are talking about running 255/35r19 I mean 235/40r19 is only 9mm taller on the dia.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It will fit fine, but personally I’d go wider. In my personal experience and online calculations, on an 18” rim, 265/35/18 is nearly identical in diameter to the stock 235/35/19. A 235/35/18 is quite a bit smaller in diameter than stock. In tires as you go wider, the sidewall height increases as well. That being said a 235/40/19 will fit easily on stock suspension, with a gob of wheel gap between the fender still. 😉

1 - 11 of 11 Posts