1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trends-of-sema-2015.jpg

Less is Always Least at the SEMA Show

by Thom Taylor, November 4, 2015

We’ve walked all of the halls, scoped out every display, shot every car and truck, and other things there are at SEMA, and now it’s time for our yearly trends post.

Every year we see the sea of sights at SEMA Show, but once we see certain components, tricks, or colors repeating, we bring it to you for your chance to agree or disagree on the staffs’ observations of the show.

Some of these trends have been around for a while, but have been marinating while designers and builders bring them to fruition. Still others we have not seen before, only to be confronted with them on numerous cars or trucks. That’s a trend.

Overall, we’d say that there seems to be a release from the constraints of the past. Builders are trying different combos and colors that we would not have seen even two or three years ago. There is less inhibition and more flamboyance and creativity popping up–which can be good or bad depending on how well it’s executed and whether it’s actually cool or just an attempt at perceived coolness.

As a general trend we would also say that the accepted approach to SEMA builds is if one is good, two are better; if big is good, bigger works better; and less is least at SEMA. Sometimes complicated solutions do not necessarily make sense, but they attract lots of attention for their complexity and fabrication challenge. So the fabrication is, in some cases, taking precedence over function, just as in some cases elaborate paint jobs become an exercise in paint mastery, and not necessarily as a design element that integrates well with the car or truck.

So check out our 21 trends seen at the 2015 SEMA Show and see if you agree. Or not.

21 Trends From the 2015 SEMA Show ?That You?ll Be Copying In 2016

·
Super Moderator
15,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....move to OT?
Nah, I'll leave it here in discussions for the time being.

I'm curious to see what people think about these sighted up coming trends.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I have always been the anti-chrome guy.

I might strip the forged wheels, polish them and then have them hard anodized, like I did for my sleeper 4DR. These are Billet Rally wheels I had anodized to look like steel:

4dr_front_fixed2.jpg

A bit from the side when they were new, plus you can see some other go-fast bits - fuel cell was painted black where visible a bit later:

4dr_complete_rear_w_exh_strappedup.jpg

A just to show why it was a sleeper:

4dr_air_intake_drivers_side_med.jpg

662rwhp @ 13#, no nitrous.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts