Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone considering buying one of these or the WRX STI when it comes out?
Personally not a fan of the styling but everyone’s different.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS, Chicago
457 Posts
I don’t know how it drives but it looks terrible. I hope the 2022 WRX STI looks better, I do like the 2021 and have thought about that or the new Golf R as a replacement for my 2020 Jetta GLI Autobahn Edition, which is a very good car but very boring.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t know how it drives but it looks terrible. I hope the 2022 WRX STI looks better, I do like the 2021 and have thought about that or the new Golf R as a replacement for my 2020 Jetta GLI Autobahn Edition, which is a very good car but very boring.
Agree with you on the styling. I think Subaru made better looking cars in the 90s. On paper the RS has this beat. WRX is only 271hp with 258lbft of torque.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Yea Subarus remind me of the once young and fit guy that's "let himself go" over the last 20 years. Bigger, fatter, maybe even a little stronger but lost the athleticism. It's a hairdressers car these days.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Look at that InfoTainment screen:

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering wheel Communication Device

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,408 Posts
Agree with you on the styling. I think Subaru made better looking cars in the 90s. On paper the RS has this beat. WRX is only 271hp with 258lbft of torque.
View attachment 354969
To this day, that 90s coupe body style ranks as one of my all time favorites.

Regarding the new 2022 WRX, well...🤮. My biggest pet peeve on new car design is when they go overboard with the exterior plastic trims. Makes any car look cheap. Not to mention all that plastic fading over the years.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To this day, that 90s coupe body style ranks as one of my all time favorites.

Regarding the new 2022 WRX, well...🤮. My biggest pet peeve on new car design is when they go overboard with the exterior plastic trims. Makes any car look cheap. Not to mention all that plastic fading over the years.
I think Subaru is in a lot of trouble here. Some of the comments on the YouTube reviews are pretty funny though:

“ The saddest part? You guys, after a year of owning a car with “body cladding” you’ll realize it’s not the best material as it will get sunburned, and the car in a years time will look like a burnt turd”

“The only positive I can say here is that they made the previous generation look like a work of art”

“I think overall the car looks horrendous, this made me want an hawk eye even more.”

“are all wrx's gonna have body cladding? or this just a wilderness package?”

“I was thinking about trading in for one of these after hearing about the updates, but I think Ill stick with my '18... that thing is ugly”

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Ya, they really screwed the pooch on this one, but they will fix it immediately. The cladding is bad (how can it have more cladding that the "rugged lifestyle" crosstrek?!), but it's actually the rear bumper that irks me. It looks like it got into a rear end collision and is waiting for a new bumper. It really looks like they struggled trying make the design cues on the viziv concept work on the new platform. Very forced...

Subaru has a tendecy to "push the envelope" design-wise every time they switch platforms, which they then "fix" over time or emd up growing on its owners/fans. They had the same thing happen when they went from the svelte GC to the GD (the "bug eye" was quite polarizing back then), when they went from the GD sedan/wagon to a "soft" looking GH and GE, then the switch to a single hatchback body style, then the VA that looked no where near the NY autoshow concept back in 2013, etc.

I can totally see a 2023 "refresh" coming shortly. Just like how they "butched up" the WRX from 2008 to 2009 and actually made it look decent.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Man! What a pack of Debbie Downers! Subaru has been on the CUTTING edge of automotive design for decades! I'll bet EVERY one of you had a poster of

https://dealeraccelerate-all.s3.ama...9/6/696/47213a50d9f85_hd_1983-subaru-brat.jpg :cool:

on your teen aged bed room wall right next to the poster of your favorite unobtainable supermodel ! Or, maybe it was a poster of the even cooler

https://www.cstatic-images.com/stock/900x600/232786.jpg :love: !

There's NO shame in being a Subaru style hore! You just need to come to terms with it and embrace it! :LOL:

Seriously---------------given Subaru's decades long history of frequently incorporating "unique" styling elements into many of their vehicles----------------their corporate tag line probably should have been: "Subaru--Practical AND Quirky Like No Other!". ;)

Full Disclosure/Disclaimer: I owned a 2003 Subaru WRX-------------------so I know whereof I speak! :rolleyes:

For the record: I reluctantly admit theirs (touch screen) is BIGGER than mine! :(

Observation: After contemplating the the once again, "unique" design features of the Subaru in the OP------at least I know where some of the Pontiac Design Team (think early 2000s; Aztek and body cladded Gran Prixs and Grand Ams) ended up. Whew!

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Man! What a pack of Debbie Downers! Subaru has been on the CUTTING edge of automotive design for decades! I'll bet EVERY one of you had a poster of

https://dealeraccelerate-all.s3.ama...9/6/696/47213a50d9f85_hd_1983-subaru-brat.jpg :cool:

on your teen aged bed room wall right next to the poster of your favorite unobtainable supermodel ! Or, maybe it was a poster of the even cooler

https://www.cstatic-images.com/stock/900x600/232786.jpg :love: !

There's NO shame in being a Subaru style hore! You just need to come to terms with it and embrace it! :LOL:

Seriously---------------given Subaru's decades long history of frequently incorporating "unique" styling elements into many of their vehicles----------------their corporate tag line probably should have been: "Subaru--Practical AND Quirky Like No Other!". ;)

Full Disclosure/Disclaimer: I owned a 2003 Subaru WRX-------------------so I know whereof I speak! :rolleyes:

For the record: I reluctantly admit theirs (touch screen) is BIGGER than mine! :(

Observation: After contemplating the the once again, "unique" design features of the Subaru in the OP------at least I know where some of the Pontiac Design Team (think early 2000s; Aztek and body cladded Gran Prixs and Grand Ams) ended up. Whew!
That's the only gen of the WRX I liked.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Waiting to see what the STi looks like, hopefully it's a big improvement. I could understand the cladding if it were a hatchback and they were trying to make it look more like a "crossover" for sales, but on a sedan? This is baffling and awful. And a bigger engine that only has 3 more horsepower? WTF

·
Registered
'16 with stuff
101 Posts
I just got rid of an '18 WRX, pretty good cars to be honest. Great in snow/ice, "comfortable" enough, peppy, decent all around and fun to drive. I didn't care for the looks but didn't pick it for that, wanted functionality and I live at the top of a big ass hill (mountain to you flatlanders) and needed to always get home.
New version looks like an extension of the previous model to me, with a few more bumps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya, they really screwed the pooch on this one, but they will fix it immediately. The cladding is bad (how can it have more cladding that the "rugged lifestyle" crosstrek?!), but it's actually the rear bumper that irks me. It looks like it got into a rear end collision and is waiting for a new bumper. It really looks like they struggled trying make the design cues on the viziv concept work on the new platform. Very forced...

Subaru has a tendecy to "push the envelope" design-wise every time they switch platforms, which they then "fix" over time or emd up growing on its owners/fans. They had the same thing happen when they went from the svelte GC to the GD (the "bug eye" was quite polarizing back then), when they went from the GD sedan/wagon to a "soft" looking GH and GE, then the switch to a single hatchback body style, then the VA that looked no where near the NY autoshow concept back in 2013, etc.

I can totally see a 2023 "refresh" coming shortly. Just like how they "butched up" the WRX from 2008 to 2009 and actually made it look decent.
Subaru’s marketing doesn’t seem like it’s as good as Fords. With Ford, you’re likely to get questionable quality and almost nonexistent customer service but they can make a car that looks good to their customer base (eg Mustang gt500, focus rs, new bronco, Ranger raptor etc)

It doesn’t seem like Subaru do focus groups. They release a car, a lot of people don’t like it and then they spend years doing facelifts.
Surely it’d be easier just to ask a group of your existing customers whether they like your proposed design or not just to gauge interest from the beginning.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts