Ford Focus RS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
A question for those in the US and Canada.

In Australia, Toyota offered an introductory price on the base model GR Yaris at 40k AUD (29,700USD) for the first 1000 cars sold. When those 1000 cars were sold, they increased the price by 5000 AUD (3700USD) for the next 100 cars. Now, they have increased pricing AGAIN to ~55k AUD ( 40,800USD).

In less than 3 months,Toyota have increased the price of the GR Yaris by about 11,000 USD.

My question is, have you ever seen anything like this pricing increase before?

·
Registered
915 Posts
A question for those in the US and Canada.

In Australia, Toyota offered an introductory price on the base model GR Yaris at 40k AUD (29,700USD) for the first 1000 cars sold. When those 1000 cars were sold, they increased the price by 5000 AUD (3700USD) for the next 100 cars. Now, they have increased pricing AGAIN to ~55k AUD ( 40,800USD).

In less than 3 months,Toyota have increased the price of the GR Yaris by about 11,000 USD.

My question is, have you ever seen anything like this pricing increase before?
Is this official pricing from Toyota? Or is this dealers marking up the price due to how "hot" it is?

Reactions: 320icar

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Is this official pricing from Toyota? Or is this dealers marking up the price due to how "hot" it is?

Top of the line trim is equivalent to $45,034.36 USD

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
I just relaized that this is on the Mini JCW GP price range....

·
Registered
56 Posts
It’s a good buy at $30k USD and underwhelming at $34k. At $30k USD it’s a better competitor to the ST siblings. At $34k you’re bumping up against used pony cars with sport packages and other hot hatches that are heavier but also faster. An RS would win in a drag and be competitive around corners while a gen 7.5 Golf R would annihilate this car in a straight line. It’s competition at $40k USD and up is so far ahead that I wouldn’t even cross shop this.

As for the price increases yes, we saw it happen with the RS where the 2016/17 models had a base price of $36k USD and the 18 had base of $42k USD (that mixed with the engine issues at the time had our cars sitting in lots for years). We also saw it over a much longer period with the Nissan GTR which is now tens of thousands more than the first one which started in the $60s in like 2008 and now starts well over $100k.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It’s a good buy at $30k USD and underwhelming at $34k. At $30k USD it’s a better competitor to the ST siblings. At $34k you’re bumping up against used pony cars with sport packages and other hot hatches that are heavier but also faster. An RS would win in a drag and be competitive around corners while a gen 7.5 Golf R would annihilate this car in a straight line. It’s competition at $40k USD and up is so far ahead that I wouldn’t even cross shop this.

As for the price increases yes, we saw it happen with the RS where the 2016/17 models had a base price of $36k USD and the 18 had base of $42k USD (that mixed with the engine issues at the time had our cars sitting in lots for years). We also saw it over a much longer period with the Nissan GTR which is now tens of thousands more than the first one which started in the $60s in like 2008 and now starts well over $100k.
Thanks for your opinion.
The increase in price between the 2016 RS at 36k and the 42k 2018 LE RS is justified because you get an increase in equipment and features like Quaife LSD, carbon fibre bits, black roof and wing to name a few things.

What I am saying is 3 months ago in Australia a base model GR Yaris was priced at 30k USD. That EXACT same car with no added features or equipment is now being sold by Toyota for 41k USD. An 11k increase in 3 months for the same car. Or put another way, a 38% price increase in just 3 months for no added benefit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for your opinion.
The increase in price between the 2016 RS at 36k and the 42k 2018 LE RS is justified because you get an increase in equipment and features like Quaife LSD, carbon fibre bits, black roof and wing to name a few things.

What I am saying is 3 months ago in Australia a base model GR Yaris was priced at 30k USD. That EXACT same car with no added features or equipment is now being sold by Toyota for 41k USD. An 11k increase in 3 months for the same car. Or put another way, a 38% price increase in just 3 months for no added benefit.
I feel this but it just doesn't seem that much different to me minus the actual difference in costs. The options package wasn't worth $5k and the LSD was original equipment that was removed to cut costs (ie research costs were already included). Even if it were added later it costs about $1k+labor which is still much less than $5k. I guess to me its obvious Ford was trying to recoup dev costs for the Focus RS by overpricing an options package and some paint. Toyota is doing the same with the GR Yaris. I don't think it's okay in either case (just sell the car for what its worth), but also recognize that the cost difference had to be bigger because they deved a new chassis for it. They did the same thing with the GTR and have done it with the new Vette. Porsche is also well known for this. shrug

I don't know dude. I already told you I wouldn't buy it at that price. The only way to get this sort of thing to stop is to let it fail.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I feel this but it just doesn't seem that much different to me minus the actual difference in costs. The options package wasn't worth $5k and the LSD was original equipment that was removed to cut costs (ie research costs were already included). Even if it were added later it costs about $1k+labor which is still much less than $5k. I guess to me its obvious Ford was trying to recoup dev costs for the Focus RS by overpricing an options package and some paint. Toyota is doing the same with the GR Yaris. I don't think it's okay in either case (just sell the car for what its worth), but also recognize that the cost difference had to be bigger because they deved a new chassis for it. They did the same thing with the GTR and have done it with the new Vette. Porsche is also well known for this. shrug

I don't know dude. I already told you I wouldn't buy it at that price. The only way to get this sort of thing to stop is to let it fail.
I think the options package and LSD on the 18s were worth 42k... I think it was possible to option a 16-17 RS up to 42k with RS2 package, forged wheels, NB paint and sunroof. Am I forgetting any other options? The car cover that they threw in for $300 or something?

Anyways, Honda has been doing this with the CTR, but not as drastically. They’re just adding around 1K USD per year, not 10.

The Toyota pricing may have been a publicity strategy to grab headlines about how good a deal it is, but I doubt it. It is plenty special already, creates bad publicity when they jack the price so much, and the economics work the other way around (higher demand in the first year).

My guess is that they priced it to sell quickly so they could get their homologation numbers for the race team. Then Covid prevented them from racing it at all, so the execs started saying “what is this car good for? We can’t take back the announcement, but we can’t lose money on them either, especially if we don’t get a WRC championship on the back end.” Hence the drastic price increases.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have a 17 with full options I believe. stickers out to 43,140.

I think the options package and LSD on the 18s were worth 42k... I think it was possible to option a 16-17 RS up to 42k with RS2 package, forged wheels, NB paint and sunroof. Am I forgetting any other options? The car cover that they threw in for $300 or something?

Anyways, Honda has been doing this with the CTR, but not as drastically. They’re just adding around 1K USD per year, not 10.

The Toyota pricing may have been a publicity strategy to grab headlines about how good a deal it is, but I doubt it. It is plenty special already, creates bad publicity when they jack the price so much, and the economics work the other way around (higher demand in the first year).

My guess is that they priced it to sell quickly so they could get their homologation numbers for the race team. Then Covid prevented them from racing it at all, so the execs started saying “what is this car good for? We can’t take back the announcement, but we can’t lose money on them either, especially if we don’t get a WRC championship on the back end.” Hence the drastic price increases.

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
The GR Yaris is an impressive car for what it is....... but I can't fork out the $$$ for what it is.

Not trying to be bias since I have an RS but $$$ to HP and the practicality of 5 doors vs 3 doors.

I had an EG hatch before and it was fun.... I guess I am getting old. I need my 4 doors at least.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Not to be argumentative, but just because something cost a certain amount doesn't mean it was worth it, as evidenced by the fact that I have the same package as well as a little bit more and did not pay $43k for it. Yes, we can get into the details about buying used (which I did) but I also passed on opportunities to buy '18s new for $36k because I couldn't afford it at the time. I personally never thought that the additional leather and heated seats were worth $5k and would not have paid that much for an RS. I also don't believe Ford paid a significant amount to develop or source the leather seats carbon fiber bits or other creature comforts because they were already deved for the ST.

I think the argument that they were rushing to homologation is an interesting one and I don't see any reasonable counterarguments, I'm just more likely to believe mine because almost every car manufacturer does it.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Youngsters nowadays can afford a GR Yaris right?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Youngsters nowadays can afford a GR Yaris right?
Just like they could afford an RS.

Unlike the WRX, the RS and the GR Yaris would likely remain out of the reach of young's for a while. Mostly because of a combination between dealer markup, limited production, and small used market.

Most of them are still hovering in the mid-high 20's for higher mileage RS, with the lower mileage in the 30's.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Here's video of a new Yaris GR running a 12 second quarter mile. That didn't take long!

From the comments section: 60 ft times were 1.86, 1.82 and a 1.80 on the last pass.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A rumour for now but would be cool if true. “Subaru is said to be working on its own version of the Toyota Gr Yaris”

4 cylinders not 3 worldwide production please Subaru also don’t mess up the pricing. Thank you

·
Registered
306 Posts
Having trouble linking the footage but there is a Polish video on Youtube showing the Yaris smoking the RS from both a roll and a standing start.

Yaris seems quite a performance bargain for those who got one at the introductory price offered in Australia ($39,950 drive-away vs $50,990 before on-roads for non-limited edition RS).

@JamoRS does your mate have theirs? If so, any impressions?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Having trouble linking the footage but there is a Polish video on Youtube showing the Yaris smoking the RS from both a roll and a standing start.

Yaris seems quite a performance bargain for those who got one at the introductory price offered in Australia ($39,950 drive-away vs $50,990 before on-roads for non-limited edition RS).

@JamoRS does your mate have theirs? If so, any impressions?
Not yet.
That Polish video is a crock of shi7.
I reckon both of those peanuts sandbagged the RS.
There is no way in hell that Yaris would make that much ground on the RS.
Im calling bullshi7 and standing by that belief, until I race my mate.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Not yet.
That Polish video is a crock of shi7.
I reckon both of those peanuts sandbagged the RS.
There is no way in hell that Yaris would make that much ground on the RS.
Im calling bullshi7 and standing by that belief, until I race my mate.
I thought the same thing, things weren't quite adding up there.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts