Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
The power seats on the RS is actually bit tighter than the buckets seats on my old LanEvos.

But the other bits like the folding mirrors the center console and such.

We were fortunate to at least get the RS as watered down that it might be.

the Yaris, I wont hold my breath.
Is the USDM RS really that watered down? Because we got different seats and center console? That seems like a strange point to make

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Is the USDM RS really that watered down? Because we got different seats and center console? That seems like a strange point to make

I used the term "watered down" loosely.

I would say, "unique" build than the rest of the globe.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I used the term "watered down" loosely.

I would say, "unique" build than the rest of the globe.
In some ways the US sests are better. After looking at some if those pics in the crashed RS thread I wish my car had retained the side air bags. The shell seats are also not as comfortable.

The need to transport kids means the Yaris is not practical for me. The RS barely is.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

What about the rest of the things you don't get?

No armrest
No hideaway cup holder
No folding mirrors
The shít headrests in the rear
The shît radio surround
There was something about the lens in the side mirrors I recall being different also?
Just to name a few of the bits you missed....
So I would consider it "watered down" compared to how we receive the car in shock form.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
These guys take a closer look at whats under the skin. There’s some pretty cool tech. It’s amazing to see some of the engineering that goes into the modern performance cars these days. In particular I’m jealous of all the light weight bits.
Probably one of the better videos on the car I've seen details-wise.

If TLDW, a few things of note:
-Trunk located battery!
-Heads-up display
-Digital boost gauge
-Has auto start/stop that can be disengaged
-Aluminum doors and hood
-ECU controlled flap that can open air box (for more air volume?)
-Has Toyota "Safety Sense" equiped (pre-collision/radar cruise control/etc.)
-ALOT of NVH reduction padding everywhere
-Under panel has access panel for oil changes. Also has one of the cutest oil filters I've ever seen!
-4 piston front calipers with 2-pc slotted brake rotors, also slotted rotors in the rear FROM THE FACTORY!
-"Haldex" style rear diff (open diff but Torsen LSD to be an option) with computer controlled wet clutch to control F/R torque distribution. Also has brake vectoring to control side to side, so not as fancy as our RDU
-Around 6 deg of caster (more than the RS!) built in. Toe is adjustable F/R. Some camber adjustability in the front (none in the back).

·
Registered
293 Posts
What about the rest of the things you don't get?

No armrest
No hideaway cup holder
No folding mirrors
The shít headrests in the rear
The shît radio surround
There was something about the lens in the side mirrors I recall being different also?
Just to name a few of the bits you missed....
So I would consider it "watered down" compared to how we receive the car in shock form.
I would not really consider these that important in the grand scheme of things...
We still get an armrest, just not adjustable as the EU/Aus
The mirrors fold but manually
We get Sync3 standard, it was an option for some of the countries
The mirrors unfortunately can't be aspherical (US DOT regulations) but this applies to all cars made for the US market

We do get the same car otherwise and on the plus side, you can disable the fake engine noise by just unplugging a cable...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
And even without all the good shît our cars were 50k cad. God knows what the msrp would have been with all the euro stuff ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Power to weight ratio is an advantage on this car.
Focus RS has a better power to weight ratio.
RS power = 257kW
RS weight = 1599 kg (including 75kg driver)
RS power to weight ratio = 161kw/tonne

Yaris power = 200kW
Yaris weight = 1280 + 75kg driver = 1355kg
Yaris power to weight ratio = 148kw/tonne

=0)

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Focus RS has a better power to weight ratio.
RS power = 257kW
RS weight = 1599 kg (including 75kg driver)
RS power to weight ratio = 161kw/tonne

Yaris power = 200kW
Yaris weight = 1280 + 75kg driver = 1355kg
Yaris power to weight ratio = 148kw/tonne

=0)

I did not say it would be better than the RS... but still:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Catchpole's review with Carfection.

He called it a Mini-GTR.

Focus RS owners = TRIGGERRED!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Catchpole's review with Carfection.

He called it a Mini-GTR.

Focus RS owners = TRIGGERRED!

I like Henry’s opinions a lot. Watching that review I’m struck by how special this car is (really only the lights are shared with the Yaris) with lots of aluminum parts and a carbon roof. But when it comes to the things that really matter to me (steering feel, direct and adjustable chassis) the RS seems to be better...

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I like Henry’s opinions a lot. Watching that review I’m struck by how special this car is (really only the lights are shared with the Yaris) with lots of aluminum parts and a carbon roof. But when it comes to the things that really matter to me (steering feel, direct and adjustable chassis) the RS seems to be better...
I was just being facetious because many reviewers called the Focus RS a Mini-GTR. So to label another car with it will annoy some RS owners.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I was just being facetious because many reviewers called the Focus RS a Mini-GTR. So to label another car with it will annoy some RS owners.
I like Henry too. There's just something about his smooth, dulcet tone lulls me into agreeing with his opinions lol.

For the record, I really hate the whole "baby GT-R" connotation. Its like a catch-all for something that is technologically impressive and yet very disconnected, which I don't feel the RS is. If anything, the RS is far more involving than a GT-R, and I feel like the Yaris is as well after seeing all these videos.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
I’m sure this car, like so many, has it’s good points.
But, in my experience with machinery, of all types, nothing has come close to the experience of the RS. I can’t pin it down.
I think it’s a case of the RS being the perfect storm, in car form.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Harry's a very understated auto journalist. Unlike Chris Harris who is a very energetic guy on screen.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I'd 100% buy one. I even emailed Toyota USA about getting it. Probably some issues getting it road legal here. Whatever. Maybe ill go buy another RS. Heh came on to share a local 2018 and saw this thread.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts