Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took a 19 WRX in trade that is completely stock. While parking it I couldn't believe the responsiveness in 1st and 2nd!? Now I've got most bolt-ons besides FMIC and full intake and a tune by mountune that's not pushing the envelope. I know we're limited in the first fears but wow. And the WRX seemed to rev so much more freely in first gear. anyone else have experience with both? Maybe I should get a real Dyno tune....

·
Registered
112 Posts
You took a WRX in trade? Are you a dealer? The WRX was responsive in 1st and 2nd? Sort of confused by this post. I think an RS in track mode is plenty responsive, even without a tune. 'free revving' is more about the weight of the internals/clutch/flywheel etc and really doesn't mean much. If you are comparing the two cars you need to drive them back to back.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I work at a dealer a drove the trade then my tuned and modified RS shortly after. The WRX seemed to rev much more freely and be quicker in 1st gear. Our cars are limited in first and second but I guess I never realized how much. The WRX did seem to have more of a burst of speed instead of the RSs linear delivery though. I'm curious who else has experience with both and if they feel the same way. As far as the free revving I never really rev out my first gear because it always feels so limited. The WRX just seemed to shoot up to 5k. As far as track mode goes the throttle response isn't any different than sport mode for the RS.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes I work at a dealer a drove the trade then my tuned and modified RS shortly after. The WRX seemed to rev much more freely and be quicker in 1st gear. Our cars are limited in first and second but I guess I never realized how much. The WRX did seem to have more of a burst of speed instead of the RSs linear delivery though. I'm curious who else has experience with both and if they feel the same way. As far as the free revving I never really rev out my first gear because it always feels so limited. The WRX just seemed to shoot up to 5k. As far as track mode goes the throttle response isn't any different than sport mode for the RS.
Its a different car, there are so many things that make it 'feel' different or faster. This is like the kind of post from people who change out their muffler and claim a big seat of pants difference or someone who adds a sway bar and feels how much more the car is planted. It might rev quicker, sure but why is your car so limited in first gear with a tune?? Maybe move this to general or off topic.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the traffic here has dwindled but geez. Off topic? Really? Do you have experience with both because that's who I'm posing the question to.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
While parking it I couldn't believe the responsiveness in 1st and 2nd!? Now I've got most bolt-ons besides FMIC and full intake and a tune by mountune that's not pushing the envelope. I know we're limited in the first fears but wow. And the WRX seemed to rev so much more freely in first gear. anyone else have experience with both? Maybe I should get a real Dyno tune....
The WRX seemed to rev much more freely and be quicker in 1st gear. Our cars are limited in first and second but I guess I never realized how much. The WRX did seem to have more of a burst of speed instead of the RSs linear delivery though. I'm curious who else has experience with both and if they feel the same way. The WRX just seemed to shoot up to 5k. As far as track mode goes the throttle response isn't any different than sport mode for the RS.
I would agree, but I think it's simply a difference in throttle mapping and how the turbo spools. I would guess that the WRX was mainly intended for street driving and has been tuned to match those conditions ie lots of low-end torque and "peppy" low speed throttle for squirting around city streets or passing on freeway speeds. On the other hand, although I feel the RS is tuned similarly, it is closer to the "performance" side ie mid-range power for both street and track driving.

I've driven a friend's MY18 WRX as well another friends MY16 STI (both "VA"s) around the canyons, and the RS falls smack in between. The WRX tended to have a lot of "pull" lower in the rev range and I found myself short shifting a lot. The RS was able to stay in 3rd most of the time while I had to wring out the STI a little bit more to get that power surge (not ideal for canyons imho, I prefer the power delivery to be predictable). Just the difference between the older EJ in the STI vs newer FA20 turbo in the WRX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Subaru wrx trans has shorter gear ratios than the RS. That and the RS come from the factory with a dual mass clutch which are super heavy. Makes for a nice daily drive but not exactly good for that free reving characteristic you noticed. Not sure what type of clutch comes on the new WRX but I’m sure it’s lighter.

Funny that you noticed that, most WRX owners complain about rev hang making their first gear to second gear shifts slow. Lots of Suby enthusiasts turn to tuners to get rid of it.

Go dyno tune your RS to allow for full torque output in 1st and 2nd and see if you still think the WRX is snappier.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I know the traffic here has dwindled but geez. Off topic? Really? Do you have experience with both because that's who I'm posing the question to.
My buddy had a wrx and then just upgraded to an sti. We all know the sti is faster, but he always says the WRX felt faster due to the gear ratios. Also, don't downplay the linear power delivery in the RS. It's the same reason why a tuned ST feels faster than an RS, because it gives you more of that punch in the chest when it spools.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
786 Posts
I drove my brother in laws and also test drove one when they first came out. It is shockingly peppy because of the throttle mapping and turbo sizing. Stock, you get everything right up front but that's kind of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts