Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Where’s his normal redneck mechanic?

I can’t help but question the authenticity of this review. I‘m a Subaru guy and I love that car, but this just seems to be one of their ads.
If you watch his other reviews, pandering is something he doesn’t do. Closest thing is maybe the Jeep reviews. But he calls it like he see’s it

·
Registered
294 Posts
Where’s his normal redneck mechanic?

I can’t help but question the authenticity of this review. I‘m a Subaru guy and I love that car, but this just seems to be one of their ads.
Scott Turbowski has been absent from the channel for quite a while. I think he's either too busy or too far away to participate anymore.

As for the authenticity of the review- they spent some time discussing their disappointment with the engine. They acknowledged how ancient and flawed the EJ is. Not sure how you think this is a paid promotion when Subaru would not be investing to push a niche car that only appeals to hundreds, if not dozens of people at most.

This car is a labor of love from Subaru for its most devoted fans.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Scott Turbowski has been absent from the channel for quite a while. I think he's either too busy or too far away to participate anymore.

As for the authenticity of the review- they spent some time discussing their disappointment with the engine. They acknowledged how ancient and flawed the EJ is. Not sure how you think this is a paid promotion when Subaru would not be investing to push a niche car that only appeals to hundreds, if not dozens of people at most.

This car is a labor of love from Subaru for its most devoted fans.
I love me some SG, but he's got a hard-on for Subie's. Always has and always will. He also skipped ****ting on the interior because he's done so many WRX variant reviews recently. A lot of folks here harp on him for his harsh review on the RS... some of it was fair, but some of it was being nitpicky to the point you sound like a hater. The issues he claimed were the glaring weak points (drive shaft + rear end), clearly aren't.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Subaru has a lot of stuff on YouTube. Nurburgring, Isle of Man, Mt. Washington Hill Climb, etc. They’re always doing weird ”niche” promotions.

To be fair, I’m not really a SavageGeese fan. I’m sure I’ve made that clear by now. 😄

·
Registered
220 Posts
I love me some SG, but he's got a hard-on for Subie's. Always has and always will. He also skipped ****ting on the interior because he's done so many WRX variant reviews recently. A lot of folks here harp on him for his harsh review on the RS... some of it was fair, but some of it was being nitpicky to the point you sound like a hater. The issues he claimed were the glaring weak points (drive shaft + rear end), clearly aren't.

Naa.. he's a clown, he ragged on the RS because he's a Subaru fan boy. Then blew his load over a 65k S209 like it was the greatest car ever.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I’ll go back and rewatch his RS review, I’m not sure if I ever have. If he complains about the USDM seats, he’s wrong (in my opinion they’re great. It’s the euro Recaro shell that have the height problem).

really the only issues with a stock RS are stiff suspension and a kind of lacklustre interior. Also the use of almost no aluminum in the chassis. It’s all cheap stamped steel suspension bits

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
I did see his RS Review before I got my RS. He sold me on it. 😜

If you are a hardcore Subie fan...... this might be for you. for only having 209 productions of that car, I would not mod it at all.

I would not be able to enjoy that car though.

Reactions: misterchonger

·
Banned
589 Posts
I did see his RS Review before I got my RS. He sold me on it.

If you are a hardcore Subie fan...... this might be for you. for only having 209 productions of that car, I would not mod it at all.

I would not be able to enjoy that car though.

I watched his 2016 RS review a few times & I felt it was very good, but I liked the fact that he was honest about many of the trade-offs with track vs. street driving.

These cars do seem bounce around owners though, so suspension setup & seating positions are probably two reasons why & he was very honest about both of those.

He kept saying the ECU cuts power in 1st/2nd, but 3rd gear was fast & his mechanic friend called the RS a ‘dog’ in 1st gear. So I still can’t figure out if the RS is truly 350HP or not?

That said, the Subaru’s just aren’t for my taste. I like the more subdued look of the RS & prefer hatchbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
He kept saying the ECU cuts power in 1st/2nd, but 3rd gear was fast & his mechanic friend called the RS a ‘dog’ in 1st gear. So I still can’t figure out if the RS is truly 350HP or not?
1st and 2nd are boost limited. And aftermarket tune will raise the limit, but they're still limited.

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
Not to side track this thread...... but if you experience the RSAA and see what the RS can do... bone stock in capable hands, that will melt your concerns away.

I will take the RS any day compared than the STI....... I am trying not to be bias as I came from LanEvos

Reactions: PokerRun388

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
So would you consider it slow in 1st gear, in normal mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. Still feels quick, you just don't get the full brunt you do in third.

Modes don't limit your power btw, they change the throttle mapping. Full throttle in sport/track/drift will give you the same power as full throttle in normal, but gently pressing the throttle will be a lot more subdued in normal due to the mapping.

·
Registered
427 Posts
1st feels fast in just about any car. 2nd gear can feel a little tame sometimes but the RS isn't really meant to be a 0-60 car. Personally I don't have a problem with the seating position but I like to raise the front as high as it will go in any car I drive. I can't stand the feeling of slipping off the seat while braking.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts