Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019-subaru-wrx-sti-s209-prototype-first-drive-review/?ftag=CAD13782fc&bhid=

The S209 represents the WRX STI's most significant increase in power since its EJ25 flat-4 engine originally launched in 2004. The 2.5-liter powerplant gets stronger internal components, a larger turbocharger and a redesigned air intake. Maximum boost pressure increases from 16.2 psi in the standard car to 18.0 psi here, and in a nod to the 2004-07 WRX STI, there's an intercooler water sprayer, activated via paddles on the steering wheel.

The end result will be somewhere around 341 horsepower and 330 pound-feet of torque; despite being shown in production guise at the Detroit Auto Show in January, the S209 is technically still in development, so those numbers are not quite finalized. Even so, these estimates represent an increase of 31 horsepower and 40 pound-feet over a standard WRX STI. And considering the EJ25 had only previously gained 10 horsepower over the course of its 15-year life cycle, this is a big improvement.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Only the most die hard Subaru fans will drop the estimated $60k USD for the S209... The value for dollar just isn't there, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
But Subaru only needs to sell ~200 of these to the most die hard fans. For my money, I'd be going 2019 STI and pocketing $25k. Or RS3, or FoRS again...

Just checked to see if the STI Type RA I had ordered was still for sale at a local Subaru dealer. It was a few months ago, but it's no longer listed, so it must have finally sold. Ordered it, figured if I was going to spend $50k, I owed an 18 RS a look. Ended up buying the RS for $10k less. So if they sold all 500 of those Type RAs, these S209s should sell easy peasy. The dealer called me when the specs of the 2019 STI were leaked BEGGING me to buy the RA. Dealers were PISSED. I think the 19 STIs have everything the Type RA got minus the carbon fiber roof, spoiler and the vents.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If your looking for a call with a good amount of bolt on options then the S209 looks like a good bet. I my self would rather get a reg STI then add on the bolt on's I specifically like and probably save a few grand. The S209 resale value im sure will be very strong as it will be limited.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
i think it comes with a lifetime warrantied vape... that's why it's so expensive.
And lifetime free burgers at Sonic.

(The subaru crowd here tend to be big fat dudes with beards, vaping like a MAFK)

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is more akin to the Heritage Edition Focus RS. Not for many of us. More of a collector car.

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man, I've always wanted an STI since I first saw an '04 with WRC stickers, blue body and gold rims. That car spoke to me like no other, but alas, I had kids instead. This looks OK, but is not worth the price tag IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
To get more buyers, Subaru is offering a special 3.49% rate for up to 63 months!

You could almost buy 2 STIs for 1 S209; or buy 1 STI, spend $15k going nuts on mods, then put $12k back into the bank for a new engine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Id buy it. Most people say you could get an STI and spend 20k and get a better car, NOT true. Most people would dump a big turbo, semi cheap intercooler or buy some average ass suspension and think is better than oem. This thing is a nicely built, balanced and tastefully modded car, sort of like that crazy Z28 track camaro. Maybe is just my old ass speaking but i think STI engineers, M, AMG.. they know what they're doing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts