Ford Focus RS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
So I read an article on autoblog that says that Ford has decided not to bring the Raptor version of the Ranger to the states

·
Registered
534 Posts
So I read an article on autoblog that says that Ford has decided not to bring the Raptor version of the Ranger to the states
They chose their words carefully. It was that they aren't bringing the 2019 Raptor in. There are two camps after that article was released: Either they are bringing it in at a later date, or they aren't bringing it in at all.

We do know that currently they are only offering the Raptor in a diesel motor which the US doesn't get. They would have to put in a different motor, either by going with the same 2.3 the regular Rangers get or something a bit more wild. Either of those options would likely have taken more time than they had for a 2019 model year release, so it's really up to whether to not they think it's profitable to do so and whether or not they will have the time to develop something for a 2020 model year or later.

·
Super Moderator
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

·
Super Moderator
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

·
Super Moderator
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

·
Super Moderator
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

·
Super Moderator
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

·
Super Moderator
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

·
Super Moderator
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
That’s EPA ratings not real world. Anyone who has owned a boosted motor knows that EPA ratings don’t mean all that much. To achieve the EPA ratings, short shifting, not getting into boost, etc.
Not to mention start/stop... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I test drove it during an auto show over Thanksgiving. The engine feels almost like my 2nd gen Tacoma but less torque down low (as expected). I was impressed with the truck since it actually felt like a truck vs feeling like a car like the 3rd gen Tacoma. I'd love to see what the aftermarket will do with the Ranger.

·
Super Moderator
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I test drove it during an auto show over Thanksgiving. The engine feels almost like my 2nd gen Tacoma but less torque down low (as expected). I was impressed with the truck since it actually felt like a truck vs feeling like a car like the 3rd gen Tacoma. I'd love to see what the aftermarket will do with the Ranger.
My Ford sponsored event/test drive was this past weekend and I was sick with flu. I didn’t want to get anyone else sick so I skipped it and I really wanted to drive it. Oh well, S happens.

I think I know what Ford is doing by waiting on a Ranger Raptor. They know they’ll get some people who buy Rangers, then when the Raptor comes out they’ll upgrade. So they’ll get 2 sales instead of one. Many would just skip the regular Ranger if both hit at the same time. I’d expect it to come in a year or two, with some kind of gas engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Ford sponsored event/test drive was this past weekend and I was sick with flu. I didn’t want to get anyone else sick so I skipped it and I really wanted to drive it. Oh well, S happens.

I think I know what Ford is doing by waiting on a Ranger Raptor. They know they’ll get some people who buy Rangers, then when the Raptor comes out they’ll upgrade. So they’ll get 2 sales instead of one. Many would just skip the regular Ranger if both hit at the same time. I’d expect it to come in a year or two, with some kind of gas engine.
The Ranger Raptor thing will be interesting since they have to bring it because the Tacoma and the Colorado have their own tricked out versions, but they probably don't want to step on F150 Raptor sales.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
The Ranger Raptor thing will be interesting since they have to bring it because the Tacoma and the Colorado have their own tricked out versions, but they probably don't want to step on F150 Raptor sales.
Engine for it is going to be a real bish. The TT 2.7/3.5 neither will fit without some serious alteration. The diesel won’t work for here. I don’t know what they’ll do as you can squeeze much more out of the 2.3. I would love it if they forged the entire 2.3L, put a bigger turbo on it, etc because then it would be a drop in for the RS but that won’t happen. They’ll have to a V6 if using an existing engine in their lineup. There isn’t another 4 banger that will work for a high performance version of the truck. I think this is the dilemma for them. I’m really surprised how weak the diesel is in the overseas ranger raptor. Reviews are out and many aren’t happy with the engine. I think it’d be enough for here but seems like Diesel engines here are the devil right now.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Engine for it is going to be a real bish. The TT 2.7/3.5 neither will fit without some serious alteration. The diesel won’t work for here. I don’t know what they’ll do as you can squeeze much more out of the 2.3. I would love it if they forged the entire 2.3L, put a bigger turbo on it, etc because then it would be a drop in for the RS but that won’t happen. They’ll have to a V6 if using an existing engine in their lineup. There isn’t another 4 banger that will work for a high performance version of the truck. I think this is the dilemma for them. I’m really surprised how weak the diesel is in the overseas ranger raptor. Reviews are out and many aren’t happy with the engine. I think it’d be enough for here but seems like Diesel engines here are the devil right now.
They could just phone it in like all the other midsized special editions and just work on suspension and exterior bits. Maybe an additional locker too. The ZR2 and TRD Pro are quite popular even with the same engines as the regular models. There is nothing that says they need to throw more power at it other than the fact that they did it for the F150 Raptor.

The unpopularity of diesel in US midsized trucks isn't that very surprising to me. They are seriously down on power (not torque!) compared to their similar gas offerings and all the emissions systems makes it much worse. As the previous owner of a diesel Colorado, I can absolutely see why they only sell a small percentage of them. They are some of the slowest vehicles in the US market, have terrible throttle response, and the mileage is only slightly better assuming the emissions systems are working correctly. They can tow a bit more but the overall payload is down and it's at the point where the truck is too small and lightweight to be comfortable towing that much on the open highways.

I really have my doubts that we will see the diesel Ranger in the US. Chevy listened to the internet which claimed it's what they have been wanting since people here found out what the Hilux was, and the sales numbers just never really took like people were expecting.

·
Super Moderator
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
61 - 80 of 103 Posts