Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019-Ford-Ranger-spy-photo-101-876x535.jpg

Ford's mid-size pickup rolls through Dearborn.

by Andrew Wendler, February 2017

What It Is: A 2019 Ford Ranger test mule spied in action near Ford’s Dearborn headquarters. Despite wearing a black-and-white coating of wavy dots, the sheetmetal is very similar to that of the Ranger currently sold overseas. This is far from shocking, as we’ve long expected that when the Ranger returned to the United States it would be closely related to that vehicle. Yes, there is a small chance that the truck pictured here could just be using the global Ranger’s body for testing and evaluating foreign-market powertrains, but some visual cues point to American aspirations: The test mule’s twin-bar grille looks to be a downsized version of the unit found on the refreshed-for-2018 Ford F-150, and the same can be said of the taillights—indications that the finished product we’ll soon get won’t stray far from the truck seen here.

Why It Matters: After years of rumor and speculation, Ford confirmed in January that the long-departed Ranger pickup would stage a comeback in the U.S. market. Discontinued in 2011 after nearly 30 years of service, the Ranger left a vacuum in Ford’s lineup. Ford thought that without a small or mid-size truck, buyers would just move up to an entry-level version of its full-size F-150. Satisfied with its chart-topping F-150 sales and figuring that the mid-size-truck segment was nearly dead, Ford seemed content to let Toyota, Nissan, and the aging General Motors mid-sizers fight over whatever shrinking market was left. But then GM faked right and introduced all-new Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon trucks for 2015, and the two largish and not-that-inexpensive mid-sizers sold far better than nearly anyone anticipated. When even Honda brought back its Ridgeline, it became obvious Ford needed to get back in the game.

2019-Ford-Ranger-spy-photo-107-876x535.jpg

More than just incremental sales generators, smaller trucks are loved by suburban weekend warriors who value a vehicle capable of performing duties including camping, kayaking, antiquing, gardening, and the occasional drywall project without the driveway-hogging footprint of a full-size truck. With the return of the Ranger, Ford once again will have a truck for those buyers, as well as for those moving up from cars and down from full-size trucks, before they defect to another brand.

Platform: The domestic Ranger will be related to the overseas Ranger, which was developed by Ford of Australia and is sold in numerous markets around the world. Currently scheduled to be built at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, the new Ranger will feature mild revisions to the global model’s body-on-frame platform to optimize it for domestic duty.

2019-ford-ranger-spy-photo-inline2-photo-676113-s-original.jpg

Powertrain: We expect Ford to launch the Ranger with a turbocharged EcoBoost 2.3-liter inline-four as the standard powerplant and to utilize its EcoBoost 2.7-liter or 3.5-liter V-6 engines for premium or sport models. Ford also could call on its naturally aspirated 3.7-liter V-6 for lower-priced models, and diesel power could come in the form of either the 3.2-liter inline-five currently used in the Transit van or the 3.0-liter diesel V-6 that’s headed for the 2018 F-150, both of which are badged Power Stroke. At this point it’s not clear how or when Ford’s new 10-speed automatic might fit into the equation, but it’s a good bet that the automaker will want to use it eventually in as many models with longitudinal engine orientations as it can. Rear-, four-, and possibly even all-wheel-drive versions will be offered.

Competition: Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Honda Ridgeline, Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma.

Estimated Arrival and Price: The 2019 Ford Ranger is set to debut sometime in 2018, and the new 2020 Bronco based on the Ranger will appear a year later on the same chassis. For the Ranger to remain a viable proposition versus competitors and alongside Ford’s full-size trucks, base pricing will need to be around the $25,000 mark. That said, don’t be surprised to see heavily optioned or possible off-road-focused variants approach and even exceed $40,000.

2019 Ford Ranger Spy Photos ? News ? Car and Driver

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Nope.... To me they look like a cross between an avalanche and Ridgeline. Sucks to because that's more than likely the direction they're going to head for the long awaited bronco comeback.

·
Registered
473 Posts
"base pricing will need to be around the $25,000 mark. That said, don’t be surprised to see heavily optioned or possible off-road-focused variants approach and even exceed $40,000."

Wow a $40K Ranger!!! I thought mine was expensive in 2010 at $28K.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The FX4 Level II package, with fully loaded (automatic, sony sound, leather seats) was around $28-29k back in 2004 if I recall.

For $40k+ it better be a mini-raptor with more HP and torque than my RS. They need to fix that damn rake too! Truck looks too soft, not very aggressive. That IFS better be more reliable than the bump-steer riddled t-bar setup.

My wife while I'm typing this reply: They want $40K?! It's a ****ING ranger!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'll be ready to replace my 2015 F-150 Lariat in the fall of 2018 (the lease will be up). If they put the Ecoboost 3.5 from the F-150 into the Ranger, I might be in :bigsmile:

·
Super Moderator
16,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking the 2.7 EB would be a great fit for the Ranger platform. The 3.5 would be overkill given the size of this truck.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The FX4 Level II package, with fully loaded (automatic, sony sound, leather seats) was around $28-29k back in 2004 if I recall.

For $40k+ it better be a mini-raptor with more HP and torque than my RS. They need to fix that damn rake too! Truck looks too soft, not very aggressive. That IFS better be more reliable than the bump-steer riddled t-bar setup.

My wife while I'm typing this reply: They want $40K?! It's a ****ING ranger!
Don't let her price out an F150!

Just remember the market out there, cross over with a bed.
And they are not that much smaller than a full size.

·
Registered
227 Posts
40K fully loaded is about what i expected. considering the price of cars and how much they'be gone up in the past few years, something with an actual crew cab (never offered in the previous ranger) leather, nav, sunroof, blindspot, heated seats etc etc. Things that were never even options on the previous one, it wouldnt surprise me to see a 4 door 4x4 start around 33K and option out closer to 40.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
$40K is what small, well equipped trucks cost these days.

The high-end Taco, Colorado, and Canyon are over $40k.

Even the Frontier, which hasn't really been changed since it debuted in 2004 brings $36k when loaded up.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Even the Frontier, which hasn't really been changed since it debuted in 2004 brings $36k when loaded up.
"Small"

·
Super Moderator
16,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Moderator
16,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
473 Posts
40K fully loaded is about what i expected. considering the price of cars and how much they'be gone up in the past few years, something with an actual crew cab (never offered in the previous ranger) leather, nav, sunroof, blindspot, heated seats etc etc. Things that were never even options on the previous one, it wouldnt surprise me to see a 4 door 4x4 start around 33K and option out closer to 40.
Yes I guess, like you said I hope they offer all the goodies in it that we could never get before. Plus a motor with some horsepower!!!! :driving: (Baby Raptor)

Reactions: RocketRS

·
Registered
360 Posts

I priced out '03-'05 Taco TuRDs and the redesigned frontier Nismo back in 2005 and 2006. I bought my FX4 Level II ranger for $16k with 2781 miles on it. Granted no OEM locking diff like the TuRD or Nismo, but to get either the taco or frontier roughly equally equipped to the Fx4 Level II package back then they were $36k vehicles and that was in just extend cab form. While crew cab is neat, I'm in the select few that feels it neuters the Raptor by extending the wheelbase. I have a similar opinion of the 4-door ranger. I was floored at the lack of leg room in the 4-door frontier (exact reason why my wife and I went focus over juke when we replaced her neon; neither one of us could fit comfortably in the rear of the juke with her at 5'3" and me at 5'7"). That said, if the 4-door ranger is a US option and if the cab is somewhat based off the interior of an explorer size wise (think sport-track...I'm thinking back to my mom's '92 twin stick exploder though) then that might be a viable choice. I did like having my ranger as my sole vehicle though. Kept me from having to jockey more than 1 coworker around or getting stuck being the friend always driving friends about. Call it selfish, but I also made up for being that friend with a truck for truck needs. A 6ft bed also made dating/camping fun; still makes it fun married w/o kids currently too.

Yes I guess, like you said I hope they offer all the goodies in it that we could never get before. Plus a motor with some horsepower!!!! :driving: (Baby Raptor)
I'm hoping they offer something goodies wise. It was annoying seeing the exploder get all the interior/exterior upgrades before it got away from being a RBV. One of the things I did to my '04 was install the explorer overhead console. I never did get around to sourcing all the parts to do the explorer EATC mod. That was mainly due to junkyards in El Paso not letting you source individual parts of electrical components.

Don't let her price out an F150!

Just remember the market out there, cross over with a bed.
And they are not that much smaller than a full size.
I've done it and did it when the raptor first came out. IIRC, bone stock gen 1 raptor was pricing out at $45k and I really thought about trying to pull the trigger back then assuming no ADM. I never did go to the dealerships to talk numbers though. 1 reasoning was that the F-150 was the #1 stolen truck in New Mexico (I believe it's top 5 in Texas where I live now), which meant higher insurance rates. Another, the ranger is the perfect size for me at 5'7". Even with adjustable seating and pedals, the raptor is just too much. I can just barely see into the bed. I can still easily reach into the bed of my ranger, even with Race Car Dynamics' 5.5" torsion bar to coilover conversion kit, 33 inch BFG ATs, and Deaver F31 2.5in leaf springs in the rear. Ford is on record gambling that ranger owners would move up to the onefiddy, but I and many others opted to keep our rangers or move on to brands that still offered a "compact" truck. Nevermind that I can go on trails a raptor can't because I'm narrower, lighter, and have a shorter wheelbase.

·
Super Moderator
16,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
16,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2018 Detroit auto show is right around the corner (literally around the corner from us here at Autoweek HQ). Running from Jan. 13-28 at Cobo Hall

There’s a good chance we see the new Ford Ranger make its appearance in Detroit for the first time. Ford has said the truck will be coming in 2019, so the 2018 show makes sense for a reveal. With the possibility of both Ram and Chevy showing off new trucks, Ford might want to get in on the fun, too, and make the 2018 Detroit show a truck lover’s paradise.

We might see some new Mustangs make their way onto the show floor, as well, in the form of a Bullitt and maybe even the recently leaked*GT500.

2018 Detroit Auto Show preview: Here's what's coming to the NAIAS

1 - 20 of 103 Posts