Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018-subaru.jpg

by Mihnea Radu, 3rd November 2015

Despite Subaru's best efforts, most people see the Impreza and STI models as one and the same thing. A couple of years ago, Subaru showed a stunning concept car that disappointedly transformed into a normal-looking Impreza with a big spoiler and blue paint.

The current generation compact car isn't going to yield an STI hatchback. That's mainly because America and Australia are the biggest markets, and they don't care about sloped trunks.

However, the next-gen model is an entirely different story. Honda is going to be the first Japanese company to re-bridge the global performance market, followed by Subaru. By 2017, the Civic Type R hatch should be sold in America while sharing its front end design with the sedan.

The testing phase for the all-new Impreza began a few months ago and culminated at the 2015 Tokyo Motor Show, where FHI designers revealed their preview concept.

That served as the basis for this rendering, which shows the STI 5-door… of the future. It could take quite a few years before this car is ready, and in the meantime, the Germans could completely change the market.

Where the Evo used to dominate games of top output trumps, the A45 AMG is now king of the hill with its 381 PS. What’s more, the next-gen model could deliver as much as 400 hp from the same 2 liters of displacement.

2015/2016 WRX STI models sold in America pack a carry-over 2.5-liter boxer turbo engine. The EJ257 is a robust unit that easily deals with tuning exercises. However, we suspect it will be replaced by the latest 2-liter unit.

From day one, 2015 STI models sold in Japan were equipped with this type of slightly downsized powertrain. It produces the same amount of power as the 2.5L and slightly more torque as standard, but the S207 special edition that's just been revealed raises the bar to 328 PS and 431 Nm (318 lb-ft).

2018 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Rendered as a Hatchback - autoevolution

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see a lot of similar lines to the FoRS on this STI.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Since it's a Subaru it won't end up looking like that at all. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. I'd be more interested in the next speed3

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Looks like a new Mazda. Subaru has a way of punching you in the face with styling. Ford raised the bar very high. After owning several STi's I just don't think they can really compete.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Subaru lost me. I loved my STi sedan, and I can't pry the Subi out of my wife's hands, but they're just too f'n stupid to make a hot hatch. That and having to buy new engines regularly if you add any power to them.... nope, not gonna do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Subaru lost me. I loved my STi sedan, and I can't pry the Subi out of my wife's hands, but they're just too f'n stupid to make a hot hatch. That and having to buy new engines regularly if you add any power to them.... nope, not gonna do it.
Yup, that EJ257 is a ringland failure waiting to happen, even stock. I had 135k stock highway miles on mine before it popped, now it's sitting in my driveway and needs a new shortblock and replacement of anything oil related (turbo, oil pan, oil pickup, etc...). It's one thing to wear out the cylinders or need head work or a new turbo; it's quite another to need a new shortblock because the pistons are made out of glass and the stock tune is pushing the limits on an old (20+ year design) motor just to meet contemporary emissions.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I knew a guy that blew ringlands twice within 30k miles on a stock STi and the dealership wouldn't do warranty work the second time saying it was his fault. So he swore off Subaru all together and got him an Evo X and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Don't get me started on ringlands

·
Registered
5 Posts
I knew a guy that blew ringlands twice within 30k miles on a stock STi and the dealership wouldn't do warranty work the second time saying it was his fault. So he swore off Subaru all together and got him an Evo X and couldn't be happier.
I have a theory that inline-4's are more reliable than flat-4's. Mitsubishi's can make big power reliably. VW's can make big power reliably. Mercedes can make big power reliably. Ford is following suit with the Mustang and Focus RS. Porsche might be the outlier, but they also cost 2-3x as much as a Subaru.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The rendering of the STI doesn't look to far from the concept.
Subaru-Impreza-Concept2.jpg
I can't wait 2 years for a STI hatch. I don't want any new car with a motor that hasn't improved in over a decade. Doesn't look like much trunk space also.

Subaru-Impreza-Concept1.jpg
But check out those tires, are they prototype Bridgestone's? (view full image)

·
Registered
215 Posts
That looks more like a small SUV while the rendering looks like a car with a hatchback.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
lymerock
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing