Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input from locals who might be able to confirm or correct me here on the law. I'm sure our friends on the east coast and flood-prone areas could help with the second portion...

Had my RS for a year and a half now and finally have the final pieces coming together for a "legal" driveway car wash now that I own a condo. (****ing finally)
I picked up a cheap Sunjoe SPX3000 on the Amazon lightning deals this holiday... (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPGMUXW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
IMG_20171230_132926.jpg
Got my hoses and faucets outside tested and blasted the 40 degree tip on the patio to make sure I'm leak-free and at the right pressure. We're good!

The last thing I'm understanding is that I can't let the dirty water drain into the street or sewers... basically I have to either redirect it into the grass or pump it elsewhere, or reclaim it. CA / bay area people -- is this accurate? (excluding the increased drought restrictions we hopefully don't hit this year)

I'm not made of money, having bought a house in silicon valley I have very little to spare each month... so I'm not looking for a top of the line water reclamation system yet. My assumption is that I just need to figure out the best way to redirect the water into the grass.

Here's a few shots of my driveway setup. Ignore the VW, an old friend just landed a job with my company and moved here from IL so he's staying temporarily in my guest room. It will be moved for wash days and gone soon when he finds a place.

IMG_20171230_132746.jpg

IMG_20171230_132831.jpg

IMG_20171230_132844.jpg

I can't drain the water the other direction, as there is a single-car-width driveway in front of my neighbor's tandem garage that way. The patch of grass by the beautiful redwood is my only option unless I go with an expensive pump system.

The pressure washer is 1.75 GPM so I'm not dealing with a full scale flood, but I'm positive one of my asshole neighbors will complain if water flows into the gutters, so I want a good solution... just not the best.
I'd also like something easy to pack/store in the garage. I usually only opt for a full hand wash a few times a year and go nuts with sealer and wax, and then just run through a touchless wash every few weeks to clean it up.

I spotted this on Amazon which looks good, in theory... 12ft length, 4" height
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CA77LG..._rd_r=1SYAGBCQDM48WBDQZ2ZF&pd_rd_w=UjunM&th=1)
Fill with water, it should have the weight and make a seal along the driveway.

At 1.75 GPM and still using the two-bucket method for the wash portion, it seems like it could divert all the water over into the grass and I *hope* it would absorb it.

My main question for everyone, regardless of location, has anyone used these water diverter things and have any feedback on how well this one might work? The option to drain it and fold it up for storage is a huge plus for me rather than ordering a box of absorbent snakes.
Also I'm completely open to other options, assuming my understanding of the San Jose and CA laws is correct.

Not to rush any feedback, but I'm planning to wash next Saturday for the first time... this pressure washer has been sitting in the garage for 3 weeks and I'm dying to use it. (not to mention the RS is absolutely filthy right now)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Wow that whole deal sucks. Lay tarp down, drive onto it, hold edges up with something, maybe 2x4's. There is a big shortage of liquid water here in the north east right now since it's 6* outside. I'd deal with all the Water reclamation and all that b.s if I could wash my car now. It's filthy and frozen

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've never heard of this being an issue. I can't imagine it ever being an issue unless you have a whiny neighbor that calls enforcement.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Park on the grass?

*edit* my post may sound like a joke, but I received a flyer in Sunnyvale suggesting that I park the car on my front lawn while washing. Your neighbors will either think you're nuts, or see just how committed you are to controlling the runoff...?

Otherwise, perhaps investigate waterless options. I've heard good things.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is this for a commercial operation, as in a detail business? Or are you just washing your own car?

Seems crazy for your own vehicle(s), but then again I don't live in a condo complex, with HOA busy bodies...

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
******* approach would be one barrier at an angle down the driveway feeding into a shop vac. :D
Actually this came up today... I do have a decent shop vac. Realistically I'd only need to take care of 10-12 gallons based on how quick I've been able to get with the sprayers at the DIY pay bays around here.

Wow that whole deal sucks. Lay tarp down, drive onto it, hold edges up with something, maybe 2x4's. There is a big shortage of liquid water here in the north east right now since it's 6* outside. I'd deal with all the Water reclamation and all that b.s if I could wash my car now. It's filthy and frozen
Indeed... having grown up in the Midwest and moved West it's one of the worst things about the transition. I did just tear down a cabinet from the previous owner and have a few 8ft lengths to nail together and roll the tarp around to redirect the water as well... was just trying to avoid the ******* solution :/

Do you have a link to the ordinance? I also live in the Bay Area but I haven’t heard of this law.
Best I got-
San Jose, CA - Official Website - Water Use Rules for Residents
and
https://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/42454
"No washing down sidewalks, driveways, and other hardscapes" -- the only other use for this pressure washer
"No washing a motor vehicle with a hose, unless the hose is fitted with a shut-off nozzle" -- obviously no problem with the washer, shuts off
"No excessive water runoff is allowed." -- clarified elsewhere as using the sewers

That's why I'm here looking for confirmation from other locals who may know. I should have clarified I've been living here for about 4 and a half years so I'm still "new"

I've never heard of this being an issue. I can't imagine it ever being an issue unless you have a whiny neighbor that calls enforcement.
Is this for a commercial operation, as in a detail business? Or are you just washing your own car?

Seems crazy for your own vehicle(s), but then again I don't live in a condo complex, with HOA busy bodies...
HOA :/
There's a particular guy who likes to stick his gut nose into everything going on. The one asking for building permits if he sees you with a tool in your hand. I can't close the garage door to avoid it if I'm washing in the driveway :)
(the dry/claybar/polish/seal/wax gets done inside the garage under lighting)

Park on the grass?
*edit* my post may sound like a joke, but I received a flyer in Sunnyvale suggesting that I park the car on my front lawn while washing. Your neighbors will either think you're nuts, or see just how committed you are to controlling the runoff...?
Otherwise, perhaps investigate waterless options. I've heard good things.
Why not just perform Rinseless Washes using ONR? Not sure you would have to worry about run off using that product and wash technique.
ONR is time consuming and I'm looking for the best legal convenience. I don't enjoy detailing my car, at all. I enjoy driving a well maintained and beautiful vehicle and just want the fast option :p

& thanks for 7 replies while I went out for dinner. Love this forum.

·
Registered
687 Posts

All you need is a sprayer that shuts off when you release it. That way water isn’t running needlessly.

The verb-age about the sidewalks is referring to using a pressure washer to clean the concrete.

I would say have the document printed, if anyone gives you crap show it to them to shut them up.

Reactions: apextheorem

·
Registered
309 Posts
You find ONR time consuming? I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anyone say that. ORN and Rinseless washing is very efficient wash method. In an out and under an hour and that’s if your moving slowly.

Blasting your vehicle with pressurized water isn’t going to make it clean...

·
Banned
713 Posts
... ONR is time consuming and I'm looking for the best legal convenience. I don't enjoy detailing my car, at all. I enjoy driving a well maintained and beautiful vehicle and just want the fast option :p

& thanks for 7 replies while I went out for dinner. Love this forum.
You find ONR time consuming? I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anyone say that. ORN and Rinseless washing is very efficient wash method. In an out and under an hour and that’s if your moving slowly.

Blasting your vehicle with pressurized water isn’t going to make it clean...
I have been doing ONR for about 2 years now after a suggestion by @Roadrunner1659 It is great and provides an outstanding shine, so good I opted not to go with a paint sealant such as Opti Pro+ or a ceramic sealant.

And best of all ONR is very,very fast. :driving: You can do a whole car ,plus wheels and then put tire sealant, Opti-bond tire jell, on in less than 30 minutes. If you are really in a hurry you can do it in about 20 minutes. Oh yes the time includes the set-up and take-down time, you use one 5 gallon bucket of water to rinse your applicator micro-cloth. If water is really tight you could get by with less than 5 gallons. This is a winner ! :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

All you need is a sprayer that shuts off when you release it. That way water isn’t running needlessly.

The verb-age about the sidewalks is referring to using a pressure washer to clean the concrete.

I would say have the document printed, if anyone gives you crap show it to them to shut them up.
Thanks for this. I did find another doc updated for 2017 after the governor lifted the state drought restrictions in July. I guess the only 2 things to worry about at this point are the runoff and the shutoff nozzle, both of which should be taken care of with what I'm planning
http://santaclaraca.gov/home/showdocument?id=53096

Actually headed out to pick up a tarp and give it a try for the first time today now that I have some spare lumber to use.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got lucky and ran into a neighbor who I've seen washing his truck in the neighborhood before. Asked him what the deal was.

Said the runoff was mostly a concern for commercial washes and as long as you're using organic soaps, having it run into the street/drains is fine. (I am)
He also mentioned no one has bothered him about it, but that he tries not to wash it more than every 1-2 weeks so he doesn't grab attention for overusing.

Neat. So I cancelled my Sunday plans and decided to go for it.

**** the tarp and **** the police. The expansion cracks in the cement worked just fine to divert the water. My shopvac blower worked great to dry it without water spots.

drivewaycrackwin.jpg

THEN I got on a tangent...
Moved on to tire shine, restoring plastics and rubbers, glass.... and then decided to hand polish the whole ****ing car because I was already 7 beers in... so WHY NOT
And I did a full interior detail because alcohol

sideshot.jpg

datmirror.jpg

Dat mirror

TL:DR first driveway wash at my new house was a success

Reactions: Lars24

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Figured I'd self-reply to my thread and add some more flavor while I was uploading these videos for a different thread anyway...

Two successful washes later and I'm starting to get into a groove and routine which minimizes the amount of runoff and gives the cracks in the driveway time to absorb water and the sun some time to evaporate the driveway surface. I just picked up a foam lance and tested it this past weekend.

Since I have a layer of Jet Seal on the car I opted for a "touchless" foam soak and rinse followed by a hand polish. I'm loving this setup. No trouble from the neighbors either, just some polite Hello's and a few jokes about "want to wash mine too??"

DUSICHIN SFL-001 Pressure Washer Jet Wash 1/4" Quick Release Adjustable Snow Foam Lance, Foam Cannon
http://a.co/cUqTWiF

Chemical Guys CWS_110 Honeydew Snow Foam Car Wash Soap and Cleanser (1 Gal) (((SMELLS GREAT!)))
http://a.co/9y7uopw

Result: (no wax!)
View attachment 289010

1 - 16 of 16 Posts