Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and didn't find anyone here mentioning this and hopefully I'm the only one to have to experience this.

I live in the PNW and today was sunny just below 80 degrees around noon. Traveling south on I-5 at a speed of 60-65mph in Tacoma in my 6 month old 2018 Focus RS with the a/c on auto for 68 degrees and just passed 56th street exit. I've been in the car for about 5-6 miles then suddenly with what sounded like a gun shot, the sunroof exploded and I was covered in some glass as the sunroof cover was open. As a matter of fact it was open since I got into the car.
Fortunately I had a hat on otherwise the very small shards might have gotten into my hair, eyes and face as they were littered all over the bill of my hat.
Pulled of the highway and took a couple pictures. The damage from the exploding glass caused all kinds of damages to the roof and wing of the car where the larger pieces clawed its way back. This is currently estimated at over $2600 in repair. Not to mention the clean up the the interior car will need. Thank God my kids weren't in the back seat as they would have got the brunt of the small glass that did end up coming into the cabin.

Not trying to alarm everyone, but wanted to start a thread in case others experience this. Saw on Jalopnik that this exploding sunroof ordeal has started to increase over the years in different kinds of vehicles and the Focus happens to be one of them.

I did file with the NHTSA to hear about any future recalls on this matter and get this incident logged. I then logged in with Consumer Reports as they tend to look into these too. Lastly I let my local dealer know, who will be replacing the sunroof. Cost of the glass alone?? $900

Pics below - but the paint damage is everywhere. This is only the largest majority of it.

My insurance is covering under Comp, but man this is not fun. Only glad this happened now and not in/on a rainy day as the PNW is infamous for.

Anyway - this is just a PSA for those looking for answers if they have this happen.

Stay safe!

IMG_9368.JPG IMG_9370.JPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sweet so not only do we loose the ability to turn off the interior lighting because of this option, it may also explode. Nice... thanks for the heads-up.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt or it led to a worse accident. Ford should have your back here and get you back up and running asap.
Keep us posted on the cause.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The road / freeway to where he's talking about is crazy rough, been under constant construction, so it's a pretty rough ride at times. I'm guessing the right amount of force through the body in just the right way put enough horizontal compression stress on it and pop...
How...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Its not the bumps, though that might prompt it, your glass was defective from the get go.

Its tempered glass and because its stressed it can shatter like this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the info on this. That looks ugly. I-5 can be a supercross track around here.:mad2: I had a driver's door window explode on my CR-Z for no known reason. Made a big mess and the bang scared the Bjesus outta me!

·
5,608 Posts
Wow crazy stuff.
Hope your ok?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Ouch!

I agree about stress and pressure. But neither could cause that damage.

Edgecase, a combo of preloaded glass and mad vibrations popped it.

But look at the actual damage closely. Something small, with a darn good amount of force, smacked it from a near vertical vector.

((Might be the most valuable rs ever, if you can find the meteor that hit it.))

·
Registered
196 Posts
You said you just passed an offramp, is there an overpass there? Perhaps a rock thrown from above landed on the sunroof and nuked it?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Ouch!

I agree about stress and pressure. But neither could cause that damage.

Edgecase, a combo of preloaded glass and mad vibrations popped it.

But look at the actual damage closely. Something small, with a darn good amount of force, smacked it from a near vertical vector.

((Might be the most valuable rs ever, if you can find the meteor that hit it.))
I've seen a hatch glass explode without any impact whatsoever. Just popped. I was walking my dog when the back window of this dodge caravan just exploded out of nowhere. Was in an open grassy area with no other people around. Just boom.

And there are plenty of other reports of the same for tempered glass, usually sun-roofs and rear glass, not so much side windows.

It may have been hit, but its actually not unusual at all for it to just explode on its own.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've seen a hatch glass explode without any impact whatsoever. Just popped. I was walking my dog when the back window of this dodge caravan just exploded out of nowhere. Was in an open grassy area with no other people around. Just boom.

And there are plenty of other reports of the same for tempered glass, usually sun-roofs and rear glass, not so much side windows.

It may have been hit, but its actually not unusual at all for it to just explode on its own.
Right see the consumerreports article I linked. This is happening with parked cars and nobody in them. It's a defect from the factory but the car manufacturers won't own it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sunroof repair UPDATE

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I was ok, just super glad I didn't have my kids in the car and I just so happened to be wearing a ball cap.

This wasn't a rock or anything as the sunroof exploded up and out. Anything coming down and I would have had more in my lap vs the very fine small pieces. Watch this video Komo news in WA did >

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/exploding-sunroofs-a-look-at-why-the-investigation-has-dragged-on-for-half-a-decade

Now on to the repair bill for this, that is being covered (thank God!) by my insurance. Recap > the sunroof blew up and out, and the big chunks went down the roof like a large cat with claws! There is more damage that the camera just doesn't show. Then there is also the wing (which I will get to last) that took some battle damage.

The original quote was $2600 for paint and sunroof. <

I went to Ford to get the sunroof replaced by them instead of a body place. The cost on the sunroof glass was $911.59 and the install was $461.58. The tech that replaced the glass said he could not get out all the fragments from the rails and suggested that to truly fix this, the entire cable assembly needs to be replaced.

The service advisor let it go and said to me "just see how it goes". I went in and cycled the sunroof a few times and the rice crispy boys, snap, crackle, pop were in the sunroof. More shards came down and went all over the place. This was an insurance job, why not just take the techs advise (which I'm sure he ran it through) and replace those why you have the car?
The advisor didn't and the rails got ordered and I had to bring my car back for another round.
They went and ordered the rails and my insurance paid for an additional $1764.02. Rails were around $900 and labor was around $700.

That took forever to complete with that dealer (they had issues with their work force and other things) and it was finished by Nov 2018. This started in July....

It is now at the paint shop as of the first weekend in Jan 2019.

Now the good stuff with the wing. Because the wing was damaged pretty good, has two different paint schemes on it (a matte for the horizontal and gloss black for the vertical), and the two horizontal surfaces are about 3" from each other, the wing needs to come apart to paint properly to get it right.
The body shop thinks these wings do not come apart and believes they are either fused together or just put together so tight that they can't get any tools to pry the surfaces apart without further damaging or breaking the wing. So it was brought to the insurance on this matter and unless someone has a way of getting these apart, it has to be replaced.

They look up the wing replacement on a 2018 RS and Ford has it listed as a $4500 part.

This overall repair, by the time you add everything together is going to cost just shy of $10k.

Friends don't let friends drive newer cars with sunroofs!! Just imagine if you had a car with the panorama sunroof and it did this....someone is bound to get hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear all that!

I know somewhere on the forum i've seen someone post pictures of the wing apart, but i can't find it (looked for 5-10 mins). The service manual doesn't seem to have instructions on taking it apart, only getting it off (which is pretty easy).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts