Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many of you know this, but Doug DeMuro has a BaT type website called cars and bids. Full disclosure, this is NOT my car. I've only spent a few days browsing cars here, but it seems to be a nice site and he says it has lower commissions and listing costs compared to other auction sites. A very clean blue FoST sold yesterday for $16,500 IIRC so the site is getting some decent traffic from car enthusiast.

Regardless of your opinion of Doug and his videos, from what I've seen so far, this is a pretty good car buying option between us car nuts.

Current bid is at $15,500. Not sure what your exact wish list is, but I'm looking at you @PokerRun388, haha

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the one that just sold in BaT, albeit it has fewer miles, I wouldn't be surprised if this went for close to 40k

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
With the one that just sold in BaT, albeit it has fewer miles, I wouldn't be surprised if this went for close to 40k

You’ll never see me getting into a bidding contest over a vehicle. I suppose if I was wealthy & was fine with flushing money away on a depreciating asset, then I’d consider it, but for now I’m still in that $29-32k range. Also, RR would be my last color of choice on the LE ‘18s. But yeah, if the ‘17 FW pulled 37k, then this will likely sell at or above MSRP. I bet the 1st-owner had no clue back in 01/18 that he’d break even on his RR 2.5yrs later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You’ll never see me getting into a bidding contest over a vehicle. I suppose if I was wealthy & was fine with flushing money away on a depreciating asset, then I’d consider it, but for now I’m still in that $29-32k range. Also, RR would be my last color of choice on the LE ‘18s. But yeah, if the ‘17 FW pulled 37k, then this will likely sell at or above MSRP. I bet the 1st-owner had no clue back in 01/18 that he’d break even on his RR 2.5yrs later?
I agree wholeheartedly. I doubt I would buy from an auction either but if I did, I would have to put in one price and walk away and see, but obviously you lose all negotiating ability on this format as well. If I did own this car and it does got for 40k only losing 2k off of the Window Sticker isn't too bad.

If that last FW from BaT was sold privatley, I would guess it would be withing 1k or so of your price range. I'm sure it will come soon. I'm buying next summer if the money works out, so if I get one before you do...then we all know you have a problem, haha.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Something of concern...

(from the listing)
-----------------------
Seller Notes
The seller says this Focus RS was driven sparingly in the summer and almost never driven in winter; he further notes that no servicing has been performed yet, as he hasn't yet reached the recommended mileage for the first oil change interval.
-----------------------

If the oil has never been changed in close to three years you might expect some issues.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. I doubt I would buy from an auction either but if I did, I would have to put in one price and walk away and see, but obviously you lose all negotiating ability on this format as well. If I did own this car and it does got for 40k only losing 2k off of the Window Sticker isn't too bad.

If that last FW from BaT was sold privatley, I would guess it would be withing 1k or so of your price range. I'm sure it will come soon. I'm buying next summer if the money works out, so if I get one before you do...then we all know you have a problem, haha.

Sssshhhhh!

I saw you commented on the sale, you jixed it to be sold low.... LOL!

Minor surface rust on the underside, expected from a winter exposed car.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I think this car sat on Car Gurus for a while @ $37k. It popped up on my 500mi search around Denver. There's not a lot 500mi around Denver besides Salt Lake and Albuquerque...If it gets $40k, my 18 NB is going right up!

Sheesh @SVTbuckeye11 are you this guys hype man?!?!?!?! :p I kid, but I do sort of like the ability to comment!

How much do these auction sites take usually? 2%? a flat fee? How do they work?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I honestly dont know. I haven't dug that deep into any of the auction sites. May do so when I get closer to that, but I doubt I would buy from am auction unless it's the perfect example. I would have bid on that FW 2017 on BaT, but I probably would have lost by 1-2k.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think this car sat on Car Gurus for a while @ $37k. It popped up on my 500mi search around Denver. There's not a lot 500mi around Denver besides Salt Lake and Albuquerque...If it gets $40k, my 18 NB is going right up!

Sheesh @SVTbuckeye11 are you this guys hype man?!?!?!?! :p I kid, but I do sort of like the ability to comment!

This car is listed here and had been listed on CarGurus too. I watched the video and it looks good. In the photos the engine bay looks dirty for a car with 4,400 miles. He needs an oil change. Why is the battery cover missing? Not sure what it will sell for but I hope he gets 40.

·
Registered
433 Posts

The only way I’d buy an RS sight unseen is if it’s an an authorized ford dealer. I need reassurance that it’s mechanically sound, serviced & ready to go. The price also has to be reasonable. If the MSRP was $42k in 2018, then I’m not paying 40k in 2020. Ideally, you’d love to just find one locally to test drive, do a walk-around & even sleep on it for a few days, however these cars are usual as far as they tend to go fast, so you really can’t wait around.

There’s an ‘18 LE NB with 15k miles currently at a Chevy Dealer. A week ago I asked the price? Sales lady tells me 36.9k. Then a day later they tell me 39k. Lol I told them I’ll give you 34k & never heard back. I’m sick of their BS, it’s a used car & you loose 10-20% when you drove it off the lot, in 2018.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think it's collector car, not yet anyway. That would imply it's going up in value above MSRP, like a Ford GT or Porchr GT3, ect. I do think it is a very desirable enthusiast car with limited supply, which is why prices aren't dropping as much as a car typically depreciates.

I do agree between now and the next 1-2 years is the time to buy before they start going back up, and good, low milage examples get harder and harder to find.

·
Registered
2017 FoRS mk3
67 Posts
You might be right. With this car, if you snooze you loose.
It takes one to know one, i collect cars, used to drive a Hummer, and was in late 2000's also looking for a Lambo LM002, but i didnt think it was worth the 90.000€, saw one a few month ago for around 300.000€...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You might be right. With this car, if you snooze you loose.
It takes one to know one, i collect cars, used to drive a Hummer, and was in late 2000's also looking for a Lambo LM002, but i didnt think it was worth the 90.000€, saw one a few month ago for around 300.000€...
Damn, you win some and loose some

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only way I’d buy an RS sight unseen is if it’s an an authorized ford dealer. I need reassurance that it’s mechanically sound, serviced & ready to go. The price also has to be reasonable. If the MSRP was $42k in 2018, then I’m not paying 40k in 2020. Ideally, you’d love to just find one locally to test drive, do a walk-around & even sleep on it for a few days, however these cars are usual as far as they tend to go fast, so you really can’t wait around.

There’s an ‘18 LE NB with 15k miles currently at a Chevy Dealer. A week ago I asked the price? Sales lady tells me 36.9k. Then a day later they tell me 39k. Lol I told them I’ll give you 34k & never heard back. I’m sick of their BS, it’s a used car & you loose 10-20% when you drove it off the lot, in 2018.

I bought my 18 RS in blue with only 4k miles, no accidents, 1 owner and clean Carfax for 33k usd after negotiating online sight unseen. I didn't even see the car until it was delivered, but I knew I had to jump on the deal before someone else bought it. Glad I did. It didn't even have a scratch on it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts