Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many of you are aware of this happening, looks and sounds like a bridge between auto-x and club racing. Looks to be a good time, I'll be there, not sure if I'm actually running yet, not found the right tires for the right price. (I'm wanting to run the car "show room" stock on Cup 2s, but tire budget only has about $700 in it)

Rules are on the new "soft" TT rules. If your RS is Street class legal for Auto-x you can run that setup in Sport-2 at this event. If you have any questions ask and if I don't know the answer I will see about getting you in contact with someone qualified to answer that.

https://www.scca.com/events/1991815-memorial-monster-time-trials

·
Registered
64 Posts
SCCA is venturing into the time trial business and this is the first year for the TT format. They will hammer out/change the rules as the year goes on and then submit a full rules to all the member chapters for next year.

They recently ran an inaugural TT at Gingerman Raceway 4/21-22. Some chapters are running them, like the one you listed in Milwaukee, and they have a couple at the Corvette Museum Raceway in KY. My friend Karl and I ran Gingerman with the track car (not the RS). Being a two day event they had an practice and autoX on Sat., then timed full track sessions and autoX run backwards on Sun. It's a great format because it's run under HPDE rules. Meaning no wheel to wheel racing. Only passing by point bye on the straights. Class and overall winners determined by time, not finishing order. I would highly recommend it for those who want the thrill, but don't want the risk of someone wrecking your car trying to pass you! I was fortunate enough to take the overall win, by only a second after two days of racing! It's exciting and you get to meet a bunch a like minded gearheads.:rockout:

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, SCCA has had TT for years, Solo 1 or such as it was called at one time. But the entry level car for that was so close in safety and such to a club racer it didn't really bring in much for new drivers in my opinion. The new format allowing for easier classing and more "street car" focus makes it much more obtainable to budget bound gearheads and creates a bridge between auto-x and club racing that may spring board drivers up a few levels in the club over a season or two.

And yes rules are in flux as I think one change sine the Gingerman event are related to drivetrain swaps in tuner or max (I forget which as I've been focused on S2).

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, very late update, I had a blast at the 2018 TT at CMP. And I just got back from the 2019 TT at CMP. This year the event was part of the TT National Tour. There were 2 RSs running and I think both trophied. I heard with the temps near 100 they only only get about 2 laps before AWD kicking off. But they could get a flying laps, cool lap and flying lap again, just had to push alternating laps and maintain safe cool lap speeds to run the whole section. And for TT that works. I didn't run mine again, but was there working in Timing and scoring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts