Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys getting any gear sticking issues? My 4th gear sticks on a slow shift sometimes and I have to make sure it's in gear sometime. I've mis-shifted a few times and it's in the shop right now. Just wondering if I was alone on this. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
You're not the only one. <1000 miles, had the car a couple weeks. I figure it's just me but I'll go to shift into 2nd sometimes and pretty sure my pace in doing so is consistent and I'll mis-shift and have to try again either faster or slower. We're talking like 1 out of like 50 shifts though but it's often enough I've been googling about it. I've been looking to just make the overall shifting feel better overall, stock is a little sloppier than I thought it would be but no different than the ST was stock.

My ST had this issue constantly with 2nd, and often on cold starts I couldn't shift into reverse without cycling through other gears first. It was like that for 40K miles and I just got over it, synchros never gave out on the car to just fix everything. I could just never do any racing from a dig because I could never get into 2nd quickly. Haha.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Get the solid shifter/cable bushings and short shift plate if you want, then adjust the cable. The stock shifter on this is very sloppy, and caused me to miss a 5->4 shift and hit 2nd while getting off the freeway with like 400 miles on the odo.... First mod to the car was all solid bushings in the engine bay + short shifter. Next was boomba shift lever (40% total shift reduction between the lever and arm) with the solid bushings in the cab. Shifter is solid as a rock with zero play and I have not missed a single shift since the change. Try it, you will not regret it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Get the solid shifter/cable bushings and short shift plate if you want, then adjust the cable. The stock shifter on this is very sloppy, and caused me to miss a 5->4 shift and hit 2nd while getting off the freeway with like 400 miles on the odo.... First mod to the car was all solid bushings in the engine bay + short shifter. Next was boomba shift lever (40% total shift reduction between the lever and arm) with the solid bushings in the cab. Shifter is solid as a rock with zero play and I have not missed a single shift since the change. Try it, you will not regret it.
This. The bushings and a short shifter make a world of difference. I don't think I could stand driving a stock RS now that I've gotten used to my setup.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This happens on my '18 too. Always while shifting to 4th gear and never under hard acceleration. It made me grind the gears a couple times the first day I got it but I've always realized whenever its happened since then and I'm able to apply a little more force to get it into gear.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
A simple Breedt short shift arm and solid bushings in engine bay makes a bug difference ($110 for both). Adding the in cabin solid shifter bushings also adds a little benefit. Adding the new engine bay cable ends and a BooMBA shifter are more involving and will remove almost all tolerances....up to you how far you want to go.

I decided not to add my Boomba shifter after purchasing it...so if you want to go this route I'd sell you mine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The shifting in my car has always been very crisp, and I have never missed a shift point!! Last week I installed the FSWerks short shifter plate, and set the reduction to 30%. I couldn't be happier!! For a weekend driver this was certainly worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well boys after brining the car in over 6 times for the issue I finally got a new trans,clutch and flywheel from ford. it got so bad to the point that I could even leave the car in second gear. Hope this one last more than 50k km

1 - 12 of 12 Posts