Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

I got a full day in a third-gen 2018 CTS-V over Angeles Crest, and the car was so ridiculously hooked up and flipping fast that I came away astonished...but also cold. My Focus RS replacement is a second-gen 2014 CTS-V wagon. (Even though the 2014 CTS-V has an extra 200 hp over the RS, it is no faster!) Well, the third-gen CTS-V was an improvement over my second-gen in almost every imaginable way -- except for trunk space ;-) -- but I no longer felt like the newer car's capabilities matched my own on a mountain road. Essentially, there was so much grip and power that the limits were well beyond my risk taking tolerances. I'd have to take the new V to the track to comfortably find its edges.

(I did a full writeup with photos of my day.)

I'm guessing that if I lived in Texas or Florida, where the driving was done in straight lines on flat terrain, the third-gen CTS-V would have been a hoot. But in Los Angeles where a crash could drop you 1000 feet down a rocky canyon, no thanks! I'd much rather have the Focus RS in the LA canyons!

Actually, Florida and Texas Focus RS guys, how do you get your kicks out of the RS?

Registered
It's not all flat land and straight roads, we just tell people that!!! We don't need all coming here to find our secret twisters, short short wearing ladies and cheap booze....but seriously if you are ever in Texas (Austin toward Fredericksburg and up) anything west is the hill country and you can certainly push this car well beyond what is safe, I've had this car airborne several times. We also have 10000s miles of dirt roads here that are rarely traveled if you don't care about prissy paint jobs, if I hated my car or didn't care about keeping it for a my lifetime that's the first place I would take it hahaha...I am sure it would be amazing...I learned to drive on those roads at stupid speeds in my 300D...excellent drifting roads and an amazing first car. I really love the CTS-V / wagon...I am always keeping a eye out for a manual in great shape with low miles...it's on of my favorite cars list for sure and one I want to own at some point.

Registered
Fredericksburg and hill country is amazing. I have had my truck airborne many times while hunting. So much fun lock in 4x4 and get to pushing it. So much fun on those red dirt roads.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not all flat land and straight roads, we just tell people that!!! I really love the CTS-V / wagon...I am always keeping a eye out for a manual in great shape with low miles...it's on of my favorite cars list for sure and one I want to own at some point.
The dirt roads sound great! In SoCal there are the dry lakes, and they are super fun to blast around on...but not in my car!

PM me your email if you want to be added to the list of people who have contacted me about buying my manual CTS-V! 馃槀 (I'm both joking and serious!) I don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon, but who knows!

Registered
2017 Nitrous Blue RS2
In that case, I take it back. What do people in Florida do with their Focus RS's? :D
Routinely contemplate signing up for a track day and maybe take an on-ramp curve a bit quicker than normal. Other than that, it's just serves as a fun, practical car.

Registered
It's not all flat land and straight roads, we just tell people that!!!
I live in Chicago, I swear, I have to drive at least 100 miles to find rolling hills lol, let alone anything with Curves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts