Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently discovered the RS and it appears likely I will sell my S2000 for one eventually. The torque and versatility suit my needs very well. With the first MY coming out as 2016 and debuting in Spring 2016, can we expect the 2017 RS to be available this fall? I may wait a few extra months in hopes of a couple additional standard features such as auto-dimming mirrors or rain sensing wipers. Any indication? Thanks!

·
Registered
558 Posts
..and my speculation based on prior late model year releases is that the 2017 specs will be known by mid-summer with the car being available for order by September.

As to new features I wouldn't hope for much beyond a new paint colour or two and of course a higher price lol. Ideally I'd like to see: autodimming external mirrors, blind spot alert, rev matching (auto-blip).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also, more than likely bug fixes, if there are any.

This is the MY I'll be looking to purchase. Hopefully there'll be better allocations to dealers. Not looking to pay more than MSRP.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
"Q. Is there a worldwide production number you can share with me?
A. Unfortunately no, but I can say that Europe will be getting more units than the US, especially for the first few years as Europe is more familiar with the RS badge and demand is higher over there."

That exact quote is posted on this forum somewhere but I haven't been able to find the original post because the search function on this forum is hilariously bad. It was a (short) interview by a person that I am assuming is associated with a tuning shop of some kind who was talking to a Ford representative somewhere. It's not exactly when word of god, but at the very least that one Ford employee is expecting multiple model years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was at the Detroit Auto Show and had an opportunity to interview a Ford Executive about some burning questions I (and many others members) wanted to know about the RS
Here is a recap of the Question & Answer session.

Q. There is a rumor circulating on some forums that there is a production delay and that deliveries will be pushed back, is there a delay?
A. There is absolutely no delay at all, in fact, production starts in Germany next week.

Q. How many RS models will be imported to the US this year?
A. I am not able to answer that question, all I can say is that it will be a limited production model.

Q. Can you give me a range, like more than 2000 but less than 10,000?
A. I'm afraid I can only say that the RS will be a specialty vehicle with limited production.

Q. Is there a worldwide production number you can share with me?
A. Unfortunately no, but I can say that Europe will be getting more units than the US, especially for the first few years as Europe is more familiar with the RS badge and demand is higher over there.

Q. When will we start seeing cars at the dealerships?
A. Europe will start receiving the RS in late January, early February while the US will start receiving cars sometime in March, most likely late March as there is the whole shipping process to factor in.

Q. Obviously the RS is a race track inspired car as even Ford's own marketing always seems to shows the car tearing up the track; will actual track driving and/or the use of the drift mode void or alter the car's warranty in any way?
A. That is an excellent question, and one that I do not know, nor do I believe Ford of North America has figured out yet - that will be addressed shortly I'm sure.

Well that is a recap of what I was able to get out of him, obviously he danced around most of the questions like a true executive/politician - I hope you found this useful.

<not my post> but i believe this is what you are refering to randyman2011

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for that tidbit. My dealer told me the same exact thing when I placed my order "I hope you know you need to wait till late March at the earliest before your car arrives"

·
Registered
38 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if there's even going to be a 2017. Didnt the last two RS models come out only in 2002 and 2009? Just a one year run and that was it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
..and my speculation based on prior late model year releases is that the 2017 specs will be known by mid-summer with the car being available for order by September.

As to new features I wouldn't hope for much beyond a new paint colour or two and of course a higher price lol. Ideally I'd like to see: autodimming external mirrors, blind spot alert, rev matching (auto-blip).
What's the relatively widespread desire for rev matching? If a car had it and there was no way to disable it, that would be enough to put me off of buying it. Just curious what the appeal is to having revs matched for you/automatically?

·
Registered
50 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if there's even going to be a 2017. Didnt the last two RS models come out only in 2002 and 2009? Just a one year run and that was it.
I saw internal memo from my dealer said that if they are not able to fill all orders with current model year they will be filled with 2017 models. He acted like he didnt think it would come to that but i new more about the car than he did so...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
What's the relatively widespread desire for rev matching? If a car had it and there was no way to disable it, that would be enough to put me off of buying it. Just curious what the appeal is to having revs matched for you/automatically?
I'm with you. I'd rather it not be there (just like hill assist) so I cannot understand why people would ask for it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Q. Is there a worldwide production number you can share with me?
A. Unfortunately no, but I can say that Europe will be getting more units than the US, especially for the first few years as Europe is more familiar with the RS badge and demand is higher over there.
If this is a direct quote, I would say it confirms additional production years, without directly saying so.

·
Registered
558 Posts
This was hashed to death a while ago in another thread - can't remember its label.

I completely agree it has to a toggle-able option, so "purists" can do it themselves. Personally I don't want to be dealing with trying to heel-toe to rev match if braking on turn-in - too much chance of a rev mismatch occurring on driveline re-engagement, which can have nasty consequences beyond synchro wear - such as sudden grip loss sending the rear end flying. Not everyone has the time/patience/coordination to learn heel-toe (or want to risk damaging their cars learning it). Even if you know how to, it's harder to apply to street driving as you are not usually jamming the brakes to the floor when you go around corners or brake for a light on the street, so your brake pedal level is too high for easy heel-toeing.

Even hardened heel-toe fans among auto journalists have conceded that they have found the rev-matching systems on cars like the Vette and the 370Z very effective and worth using when they are not going at full chat on the track.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm with you. I'd rather it not be there (just like hill assist) so I cannot understand why people would ask for it.
just added convenience features that some drivers might like to have. Although I do agree that it should be an on/off option to satisfy everyone. Personally I would like to have it as an option.

·
Registered
512 Posts
This was hashed to death a while ago in another thread - can't remember its label.

I completely agree it has to a toggle-able option, so "purists" can do it themselves. Personally I don't want to be dealing with trying to heel-toe to rev match if braking on turn-in - too much chance of a rev mismatch occurring on driveline re-engagement, which can have nasty consequences beyond synchro wear - such as sudden grip loss sending the rear end flying. Not everyone has the time/patience/coordination to learn heel-toe (or want to risk damaging their cars learning it). Even if you know how to, it's harder to apply to street driving as you are not usually jamming the brakes to the floor when you go around corners or brake for a light on the street, so your brake pedal level is too high for easy heel-toeing.

Even hardened heel-toe fans among auto journalists have conceded that they have found the rev-matching systems on cars like the Vette and the 370Z very effective and worth using when they are not going at full chat on the track.
If I'm not matching the revs myself, I have no desire to downshift, that's about it where it ends for me. To each their own, and I appreciate your reply.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts