Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I've been looking for an RS for a while and recently one showed up on the market locally.
I test drove it and it drives very well, I mainly wanted to get a feel for the car in general since they don't come around often to see if I would like the feel.
I noticed that it does have some mods which makes me a little nervous, but I also received the Carfax and the first owner took great care of it, with visits to the dealership for oil changes etc. I also saw the headgasket fix on that list.
so far from what I can tell it's got intake, downpipe, exhaust, and an accessport plugged in, dealership mentioned it was on an e85 tune, but he had it tuned for 93 octane.
the first owner had it until it looks like he traded it in about 6 months ago, and their aren't much for updates from the second owner, but it also looks like he traded it in a couple weeks ago.
it's the best price I've seen which made me a little nervous, but it's an autobroker, so I think they just want to get it sold.
VIN is WF0DP3THXH4120289

any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.
thanks
-Brent

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I agree with concerns on a modded car, main reason I made sure to pull the trigger and order mine back in 2015 was so that I got it how I wanted and didn't have to worry about previous owner created problems. And I have much less concern about previous owner on automatic cars since its harder to drive it wrong in such a way that can damage the engine. If it were me and the mods don't require I would ask the dealer if they could warranty it for a decent time if you let them flash stock tune back in. In today's market you have a little more leverage, though not much on a car like the RS. Maybe the second owner just didn't go on a long enough test drive and the car was not for them. Is a fun car, that works as a daily driver (YEAH for hatchbacks) and if it's NB, or even SG to a lesser extent, it does get noticed.

Just buy my 17 RS2 package with ~21k miles for 29K
Maybe make a for sale post that follows the rules for a FS post and just link to that. I'm always suspicious of user offer sales in random threads that have only 3 posts on the forums in over 2 years. Been ~5 months since you last offered it in a random thread, surely you've had time to make a FS post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe make a for sale post that follows the rules for a FS post and just link to that. I'm always suspicious of user offer sales in random threads that have only 3 posts on the forums in over 2 years. Been ~5 months since you last offered it in a random thread, surely you've had time to make a FS post.
You're right man, it doesn't give a good vibe. If I get around to taking some pictures I'll make a post. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would check the Accessport to see what tune is loaded. Let us know what the screen shows. I was under the impression we had to run an auxiliary fuel rail for E85. It’s probably 93 octane or E30.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hello, I've been looking for an RS for a while and recently one showed up on the market locally.
I test drove it and it drives very well, I mainly wanted to get a feel for the car in general since they don't come around often to see if I would like the feel.
I noticed that it does have some mods which makes me a little nervous, but I also received the Carfax and the first owner took great care of it, with visits to the dealership for oil changes etc. I also saw the headgasket fix on that list.
so far from what I can tell it's got intake, downpipe, exhaust, and an accessport plugged in, dealership mentioned it was on an e85 tune, but he had it tuned for 93 octane.
the first owner had it until it looks like he traded it in about 6 months ago, and their aren't much for updates from the second owner, but it also looks like he traded it in a couple weeks ago.
it's the best price I've seen which made me a little nervous, but it's an autobroker, so I think they just want to get it sold.
VIN is WF0DP3THXH4120289

any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.
thanks
-Brent
I have a 16 rs2 rs for sale for 26k nothing wrong with it. Great car. Email me at [email protected] or my for sale post in the forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hank, now that you mention it, I believe it was an E30 tune, not full E85.But he said when they received from the dealership they had it detuned to 93 octane.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I mirror the opinion of others. I only buy a car that is stock, or VERY lightly moded. I would consider it from this community so you could follow how it was modded, but its still risky

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
sorry post got taken down becuase i forgot to do the paper thing. ill be re adding it tomorrow but heres my cargurus add Used Ford Focus RS for Sale in Saint Ann, MO - CarGurus
Is there a reason that you aren't open to a 2016....very similar to 2017?

Engine mods are always a question for 2 reasons; is it a good safe tune, and how was the car used?

A standard ots tune or modest tune (Tune+) are usually very reliable and consistant. However going to e30 or tunes that require supporting mods is a step further than I'm willing to go.

The use and care thing is always a cap shoot....but it's the same with any used car.

If your limit is $27k and willing to travel you can find a 2016, 2017 car with far fewer miles that could still be under warranty.

PS, the best value for an extended warranty is from a Ford dealer. So
If buy from dealer and the car still qualifies, the Ford warranty is really cost effective....however tuned car wouldn't qualify.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there a reason that you aren't open to a 2016....very similar to 2017?

Engine mods are always a question for 2 reasons; is it a good safe tune, and how was the car used?

A standard ots tune or modest tune (Tune+) are usually very reliable and consistant. However going to e30 or tunes that require supporting mods is a step further than I'm willing to go.

The use and care thing is always a cap shoot....but it's the same with any used car.

If your limit is $27k and willing to travel you can find a 2016, 2017 car with far fewer miles that could still be under warranty.

PS, the best value for an extended warranty is from a Ford dealer. So
If buy from dealer and the car still qualifies, the Ford warranty is really cost effective....however tuned car wouldn't qualify.
Im selling the car. I dont think you meant to quote me lol

·
Registered
803 Posts
I’m never that worried about mods depending how they are done. If the car was say sent to tune plus, livernois, or mounting for the work I wouldn’t worry at all.
I get nervous when it’s a e tune style or random tuner as one owner could get a flash from an e tune that’s way off and drive it for a while.
But being that the guys had an e30 tune I would believe he was very into the car and took care of it. If he’s willing to go the extra length of blending he would be more likely to keep up on things.
I could be wrong but that’s how I would look at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts