Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017-ford-gt.jpg

by Joseph Capparella, May 14, 2015

The 2017 Ford GT might be one of the most highly anticipated cars of the decade, and these new spy shots give us another glimpse at this dramatic supercar’s development process. Seen here testing in prototype form with a bare body and plenty of exposed mechanical bits, the Ford GT looks just as sensational as it did when it debuted at the Detroit auto show earlier this year in show-stopping Liquid Blue paint.

Other than the exposed, unpainted bodywork, there are plenty of differences from the show car that indicate that this Ford GT is a development mule. The headlights and taillights are temporary stand-ins for the LED-accented lights on the show car, and other details like the tiny side mirrors and exposed exhausts out back will surely change for production. Even with this unfinished appearance, the Ford GT still has a dynamite presence on the road.

Also visible on this prototype are the 2017 Ford GT’s impressive 20-inch wheels, Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires, and huge Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes. Though we can’t see into the engine bay of this car, we’re sure that Ford is hard at work tuning the GT’s mid-mounted, 3.5-liter, twin-turbo EcoBoost V-6. This engine is said to produce more than 600 hp in the Ford GT, and will route all that power through a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. In combination with the lightweight carbon-fiber tub, this high-output powertrain should make for blistering performance to compete with the upper echelon of world-class supercars.

The 2017 Ford GT will begin production in Ontario, Canada in late 2016 in conjunction with Multimatic Inc. Current estimates place the supercar’s price around $400,000, and we don’t yet know how limited its production run will be. Ford has been slowly releasing more technical details on the GT, so stay tuned over the coming months for more information on this long-awaited performance flagship from Ford.

2017 Ford GT Prototype Spied Testing

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Too bad they are only making 250 a year

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
OMG does that thing look amazing. I always loved the 2005 GT, the supercar for the people. It still amazes me how well they hold up when adding power. The only thing I don't like about this one is that it will be more rare then an Enzo and will cost as much as a Murcielago. With Ford subletting the build I'm also wondering how much of a trickle down effect we will receive with Tech. I am dying to find out how much the GT will weigh, and if they decide to go with carbon fiber wheels, or stick with the original Forged.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
It's pretty well documented that they are only making 250 per year. My guess would be all the carbon fiber involved.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yes Ford has stated only 250 and multiple other sources. I belive it has to do with production from Multimatic. Racing companies are set up to only build so many chassis and honestly 250 is a pretty good number.

I should add Ford didn't say how many years they will produce the GT.

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another rendering of the GT.

2017-ford.jpg

by Mihnea Radu, 10th July 2015

This next rendering is so hot that it makes us feel a bit perverted every time we look at it. Cars just shouldn't be allowed to look this good, because it gives people the urge to drive them fast.

The good thing about the ballistic Ford GT is that nobody can ever buy or drive it. That's because it's a rendering made by Need Ford Speed graphics designer Khyzyl Saleem, not something Ford plans to put into mass production. Mind you, the regular GT doesn't look like a Corolla either, but this just automotive filth.

Khyzyl titled his creation "Egoist GT" and that's because it has certain design elements from the Lamborghini Egoista. However, the dominant theme is provided by the Liberty Walk body kit. It consists of fender flares that screw directly into the factory wings.

Can you imagine spending a fortune on a very rare Ford GT and then drilling holes in it? Ford would probably sue you for that kind of stunt, as they should.

The front of this blue supercar is also to our liking, as it has protruding wings and spoilers. Mind you, the Ford GT is already to be considered an exotic car. The American carmaker will do things differently from the last GT. Instead of making a few thousand over two years, they will produce only a few hundred per annum over a longer period, maybe even a decade.

The engine is different as well. Ford shocked everybody in Detroit by revealing that the big-boy V8 has been retired in favor of a twin-turbo V6. You can put all your fears to rest because this EcoBoost makes over 600 horsepower and sounds like it wants to devour your soul.

So what do you guys think, is this rendering the car equivalent of Kate Upton or what?

2017 Ford GT "Egoista" Rendering Has Liberty Walk Widebody Kit - autoevolution

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Looks fantastic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its going to be in our local dealership in one weeks time for one day! First dealership in the world to display it to the public apparently.

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
88 Posts
Too bad they're gonna be $400,000+ a pop
I know! :(

The first GT has doubled in price so I think the new GT will be a $1M car in 10yrs but....The engine in the first GT was right off the production line and the new GT's engine is a true race engine from the Daytona Prototype series and built by Roush/Yates not Ford. It may take some time for some diehard Ford fans to accept the V6 over the V8 but the Ecoboost TT is in my opinion a great engine with huge RELIABLE potential.

Just my take on the situation, peace. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
From what I hear, Ford isn't exactly sure how long the run will be. Although numbers will still be to the point of never seeing one in the wild, there is still some hope for a decent number being made if they produce them long enough. I'm hoping they will at least do a 4 year run of the GT.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The mclaren 675LT plans to make 500 a year. First year is already sold out.

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So Ford is keeping the production numbers low to generate interest?

Ford may be missing the boat on this venture with just 20 models available.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts