Ford Focus RS Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
589 Posts
I saw an article online that the 2022 Type R might be 400HP & AWD? If so, that will be a rocket. Savagegeese just posted a 2020 Type R review & pretty much said it’s the best FWD turbo hatch on the market. As far as the styling goes, it’s like he said, you either accept it or move on.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Type-Rs stand out in my head as lightweight N/A screamers that were never the most powerful things in town but were always a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would agree that the Civic Should be FWD, but not for that $$$.

IIRC our generation of RS is the first AWD. I think we are fortunate to have them.
Yes, ours is the first AWD RS but now that that particular cat's out of the box...

I think the Civic Type R should just not have been that expensive to begin with. At this point, if you're not putting in torque vectoring or rear steering, why the hell are you charging 40K? Last I checked inflation is not that bad.

The whole point of hot hatches is to punch above it's weight because you saved money on niceties like "aero" and spent the savings on engine, suspension, whatever. But now it's gotta look fancy too? Without these ridiculous car loans they give out these days I wonder how many units could actually be pushed. I'd wager a tiny fraction of its intended/historical market would be able to afford it.

/rant

·
Registered
93 Posts
I still hardly see any of these on the road despite the fact they've been out for years. They're indeed too expensive for what they are.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think the Civic Type R should just not have been that expensive to begin with. At this point, if you're not putting in torque vectoring or rear steering, why the hell are you charging 40K? Last I checked inflation is not that bad.

The whole point of hot hatches is to punch above it's weight because you saved money on niceties like "aero" and spent the savings on engine, suspension, whatever. But now it's gotta look fancy too? Without these ridiculous car loans they give out these days I wonder how many units could actually be pushed. I'd wager a tiny fraction of its intended/historical market would be able to afford it.

/rant
Type R's have always cost more than the same generation GTI. They're small volume boutique cars with bespoke suspension and chassis tuning with Brembo brakes- often equipped with Recaro seats and MOMO steering wheels. The everyman model is the SI.

And clearly they're not overpriced when they can still sell with dealer markups. A '97 Integra Type R recently sold for 82k. I doubt our cars (nor the current Type R) will come close to that appreciation in 20 years.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'll consider it a win if our cars have any appreciation at all in 20.

I'm more using the Type R as an example of cars becoming too expensive overall. I haven't given a thought to equilibrium prices for Hondas because I'd recognize Missouri as a state before I'd consider buying a full time FWD.

You could argue it's a "collector" but if hot hatches are becoming collector cars then Noah get the goddamn boat.

·
Registered
757 Posts
NECRO BUMP:

These guys are great. The video is a little over-produced (I could do without the music and grayscale filter) but I always agree with their opinions. They are one of the first outlets to say that the RS is better for hard driving and the CTR’s front wheels give up when pushed.

Reactions: nicklulu
81 - 87 of 87 Posts