Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 691 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pricing for CTR has officially been added to the honda website. Thought I'd start a new 2017 CTR vs that 2015 thread in the meantime.

USD: $33,900
Cdn: $40,890.

This is before any ADM, but just a point of interest is that the USD pricing in CAD is actually $44366.62. Maybe for once the Canadians have a better pricing :happy:

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Pricing for CTR has officially been added to the honda website. Thought I'd start a new 2017 CTR vs that 2015 thread in the meantime.

USD: $33,900
Cdn: $40,890.

This is before any ADM, but just a point of interest is that the USD pricing in CAD is actually $44366.62. Maybe for once the Canadians have a better pricing :happy:
haha, hey it's time for a win for Canadians in the price department!

but yeah a lot of people have seen dealers with $20k+ ADM...it's going to be ridiculous lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
haha, hey it's time for a win for Canadians in the price department!

but yeah a lot of people have seen dealers with $20k+ ADM...it's going to be ridiculous lol
I have two nearby dealers sold them at MSRP. I was late getting in line :sad:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I stopped by the local Honda dealership for kicks. The 2 they think they're getting are already spoken for: one local, one from Toronto.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Lol its easy to have better MPG when you are running high 14's �� the Type R is an over the top grocery getter RS FTW+
I'll be honest, there are some things I like better about the CTR's interior. Mostly to do with display / instrument cluster. Glad I have a real handbrake though.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I'll be honest, there are some things I like better about the CTR's interior. Mostly to do with display / instrument cluster. Glad I have a real handbrake though.
Yea I like the interior on the Type R too. But thats not enough to ever justify getting it over the RS. Not to mention it looks like a prop from F&F 1. All its missing is the neons lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
If it didnt have the crazy spoiler on the rear and the fake CF ground effects on all 4 sides i would have considered it. I find the interior more appeasing than the RS.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do like the optional rev matching in the CTR. I am definitely not a good enough driver right now. Would appreciate some of the optional nannies.

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I almost bought a 1999 civic SI new back in the day. Glad I didn't as the local (loco) Honda crowd drew unwanted attention. Loved the platform modablity, but you can only put down so much power in the Pacific Northwest being wet/damp 85% of the time. So I am a little surprised to see interest in the hondas still on the RS and STi forums. As cool and fast with all this tec the type R may be,........it's just not in the same league as the RS. Not sure how it compairs at all really being fwd. ide pay maybe 17-19 grand for one if I liked it better than the Fiesta ST.

·
5,582 Posts
Aus review

56.png

More expensive and less powerful, the Honda Civic Type-R is an interesting offering compared to Ford’s Focus RS. Today we get the final, possibly most important detail for the Type-R, its pricing.

The Type-R is a 2.0L Turbocharged powerhouse, good for 228kW, deploying that power at a rate of 400Nm. When I plug in my postcode (3690) that performance is available from $56,450 (note you may find it cheaper). This doesn’t compare particularly favorably when positioned next to the closest rival, the Ford Focus RS at $55,438 which delivers 257kW through 440Nm of torque through a 2.3L engine.

The Honda certainly looks more aggressive with some crazy track-tested aerodynamics kit, unique triple-exhaust tip at the rear and 20″ black allows standard. Despite the looks, there’s another big issue, the Focus RS is AWD, while the Type-R is RWD.

The Civic features six-speed manual transmission (no automatic option) with rev-matching function and unfortunately is another car shipping in 2017 that forces your shifts through a slow H-pattern gearbox instead of a couple of fast, flappy paddles under the steering wheel.

There’s no doubt the Type-R is fast, securing a hot-hatch record around the Nürburgring Nordschleife, it helps those who can’t afford the NSX get into a performing car with a Honda badge and continue to dream.

The Type R brings a new spring, damper and bushing settings, a new Dual-Axis front suspension set-up with aluminium lower arms and steering knuckles for improved at-the-limit cornering and reduced torque steer, while a new multi-link rear suspension enhances stability under braking. There is also an adaptive dual-pinion electric power steering system with variable gear ratio and a helical limited-slip front differential.

The Honda Civic Type R features with three driving modes: Comfort, Sport (default) and +R. The driver-selectable modes adjust steering and throttle response, transmission rev-matching, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) threshold, and Adaptive Damper System. Honda Civic Type R strikes a fine balance between extreme performance and every day usability.

Inside, the Civic Type-R features Android Auto and Apple’s Car Play, so you can be connected and entertained while you drive in the most comfortable, and lightest, Type R specification sports seats, trimmed in grippy suede-effect fabric. Red accents are used throughout to amplify the performance-feel of the cabin, and each vehicle features a unique Type R serial plate number.
Honda Civic Type-R ? more expensive, less power than the Focus RS

·
5,582 Posts
Honda-Civic-Type-R-front-quarter-high.jpg

HONDA is squaring up for a stoush with Ford after announcing a $50,990 list price for its new Civic Type R, making it a dollar-for-dollar match with the Focus RS in Australia.

Australian and US market Civic Type Rs will produce peak outputs of 228kW and 400Nm from a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder VTEC engine detuned for hotter climates and 95RON petrol.

European and Japanese market Civic Type Rs get a slightly higher power rating of 235kW on 98RON fuel. A six-speed manual gearbox with rev-match function is the only transmission available in all regions.

Ford Focus RS models in Oz use a 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine that sends 257kW and 440Nm to an all-wheel-drive system through a six-speed manual exclusively. The Civic Type R powers its front wheels only.

Head-to-head, the heavier Focus RS (1524kg) has only a slim power-to-weight advantage of 169kW per tonne versus the Type R’s 164kW per tonne, calculated using its confirmed 1393kg kerb weight in Australia.
More than 200 firm orders for the front-wheel-drive Nurburgring record holder are held by Honda dealers in Oz, with its Championship White hero colour the most popular choice.

“Many of these are enthusiast 'early adopters' who've been waiting for this car; some would also be existing customers who already drive a Honda Type R model,” said Honda spokesman Neil McDonald.

Just one variant of the Civic Type R is to be sold in Australia at launch. Key features include adaptive dampers, Brembo brakes, 20-inch alloy wheels and active safety functions including AEB and radar cruise control.

Type R-specific spring, damper and bushing settings and a ‘Dual-Axis’ front suspension with aluminium arms and steering components set the Type R apart from regular 10th-gen Civics. Honda says the changes reduce torque steer and improve cornering at the limit.

Multi-link rear suspension, adaptive, variable dual-pinion electric power steering and a helical limited-slip differential also feature on the Type R.

Three driving modes are available (Comfort, Sport and +R) each with its own calibration for steering and throttle response, transmission rev-matching, stability control and adaptive damping.

Civic Type R’s distinctive third exhaust pipe is designed to reduce cabin noise when cruising at sustained revs on highways. During high engine load exhaust gases flow through all three pipes, but at mid-load conditions the smaller middle pipe draws air in to cut ‘booming’ and improve occupant comfort.

Honda says the Civic Type R’s suede-effect sports seats are the lightest Type R seats it has ever produced. Colour choices for exterior paint include Championship White, Rally Red, Crystal Black, Sonic Grey and Brilliant Sporty Blue.

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1706

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts

·
5,582 Posts
Long-awaited fifth-generation Honda Civic Type R aims directly at Ford Focus RS, but will be detuned for Australia

Honda Australia has lifted the lid on pricing for its single-specification Civic Type R hot hatch, which will retail from $50,990 (plus on-road costs) when it goes on sale this October.

That’s the same price as Ford’s giant-killing Focus RS all-wheel drive hot hatch, and the only option will be metallic paint, at $575.

The highly anticipated fifth-generation Civic Type R is already drawing a lot of attention Down Under with Honda Australia confirming 250 pre-orders for its high-tech hot hatch.

It says many of those are “early adopters and enthusiasts who’ve been waiting for the car”, and that more than 5000 expressions of interest have also been taken.

The figures indicate the latest Civic Type R could become the brand’s best-selling yet in Australia. The previous iteration found 2162 homes here between 2007 and 2012 — 719 of those in the first year alone.

“We’ve already taken more than 250 customer orders and more than 5000 people have registered their interest, so it’s clear there’s a lot of pent-up customer demand for the return of the Civic Type R,” said Honda Australia director, Stephen Collins.

Detuned for Australia’s hot climate – and more widely available 95 RON premium unleaded petrol – the Civic Type R will output 228kW of power (-7kW) at 6500rpm and 400Nm of torque over 2500-4500rpm.

The 2.0-litre VTEC TURBO engine will be mated exclusively to a six-speed manual transmission with rev-matching function.

The chassis comprises three-mode adaptive dampers, model-specific spring, damper and bushing settings, new dual-axis front suspension with aluminium lower arms and steering knuckles, multi-link rear suspension.

The Civic Type R is steered by an adaptive dual-pinion electric system with variable gear ratio and the front-wheel drive hot hatch will also benefit from a helical limited-slip differential.

It is further enhanced with four-piston Brembo brakes, Berlina Black 20-inch alloy wheels and Honda’s SENSING range of electronic driver safety aids. All are standard equipment.

“It’s the fundamental strength of the all-new Honda Civic platform, which enables Type R to achieve such remarkable performance,” Collins continued.

“As a record-holder around the Nurburgring Nordschleife, it’s clearly the fastest, most dynamic Type R model ever sold in Australia. Enthusiasts across the country are going to absolutely love it.”

Included as part of the SENSING technology suite are Adaptive Cruise Control, Collision Mitigation Braking System (AEB), Forward Collision Warning, Intelligent Speed Assistance, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keeping Assist System, Road Departure Mitigation, Traffic Sign Recognition, and a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (in lieu of a spare wheel).

“We’ve also added the full Honda SENSING suite as standard which brings autonomous emergency braking capability, the convenience of adaptive cruise control, plus a whole lot more. And being a Honda, Type R introduces an innovative third exhaust pipe designed to cut noise to the cabin at cruise on the highway,” Collins confirmed.

Meanwhile, the car’s Technology Centre – Honda’s name for the Civic Type R’s infotainment array – includes an integrated wireless smartphone charging pad, and HDMI, USB and 12-volt connectors, 7.0-inch touch-screen for infotainment, dual-zone climate-control functions and reversing camera, plus Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity.

No proprietary satellite-navigation will be offered.

As noted by Collins, the latest Civic Type R is Honda’s quickest yet, and even holds the front-wheel drive record at Germany’s famed Nurburgring Nordschleife.

It’s seven seconds quicker than the outgoing model around the ‘Green Hell’, clocking a 7:43.80 lap of the 20.83km public road circuit, and promises a 0-100km/h time of 5.7sec and top speed of 272km/h.

“Type R is the ultimate expression of Honda putting the enthusiast at the centre of everything it does,” Collins added.

“Honda is renowned for pushing the boundaries of engineering and technology, so it’s great that Honda Australia can offer another cutting-edge performance car in Civic Type R, to sit alongside the pioneering NSX hybrid supercar.”

http://www.motoring.com.au/honda-civic-type-r-priced-from-50990-107826/

·
Registered
258 Posts
If it were several thousand cheaper than the RS (IRL not just on paper) it'd be more attractive. As is, it doesn't appeal to me. Personally I'm done with FWD performance cars for a while, maybe for ever. If it had AWD it be a lot more interesting and might've made me hold off on my decision getting an RS.

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts
1 - 20 of 691 Posts
About this Discussion
690 Replies
139 Participants
320icar
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing