Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp here I am. Not a whole lot of reason to post since it's getting taken care of but figured I'd make a thread. Car is stock and is getting a new transmission under warranty. They put me up in a loaner while my car sits out in the weather on the back of the dealer lot awaiting a transmission. No idea when that will be, sounds like it's back ordered, told me they can't even give me a rough eta until sometime next week. Two weeks ago I noticed some fluid on the bottom of the trans, looked like it was coming from somewhere up higher, took it too the dealer and they said it was leaking from a sensor, but hadn't leaked out any real amount of fluid, and gave my car back while they ordered parts. Earlier this week car gets stuck in gear coming to a stop, had to slip the hell out of the clutch to get into a safe parking lot to wait 3 hours for a flatbed. 2 days later Ford calls, gives me a loaner and tells me they ordered a new transmission.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Interesting. Usually leaking fluid and an inability to get it into gear makes me think a blown slave cylinder

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah not sure exactly what the mode of failure was, I am going to try to find out more info, but getting info out of this service writer is like pulling teeth, I need to get ahold of the tech. When it happened I figured some linkage popped off or broke, I could sling my shift knob back and forth with no resistance and couldn't take it out of gear. Can't move the shift knob left or right.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good luck!

I'm on my second gearbox . . .
What happened to yours with how many miles?
I always thought these trans were pretty stout, other than a few synchro issues some people had, but in the back of my mind I had always thought that issue was over blown and maybe even brought on by the owners driving habits, possibly short shift arms/plates.... Maybe not.
So I never really had a fear my transmission would give out, especially at stock power levels.

In any case I have a feeling the trans isn't really that bad off, just that Ford likes to replace the whole unit rather than fix it. Which is fine by me, give me a brand new unit any day over letting some dealership tech tear into my gearbox.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I'll assume the 'shifter fingers' on the shift selector became worn. The symptom was a 'gate' opened between 3rd and 5th which was 'neutral'. This is an old issue. In my situation I'm guessing my short shifter plate may have changed the selector engagement, causing wear. However I also had pooling oil on the shift tower. 35k with the plate mod.

The shift tower part is less than $200 but Ford doesn't service the transmission unit. In theory the actual gearbox is solid.

Agreed, I'll take a new unit any day. I'm pleased with FoMoCo's solution. Luckily my unit arrived in 3 days, vehicle in and out in a week.

I have the boomba short arm now . . .

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I'll assume the 'shifter fingers' on the shift selector became worn. The symptom was a 'gate' opened between 3rd and 5th which was 'neutral'. This is an old issue. In my situation I'm guessing my short shifter plate may have changed the selector engagement, causing wear. However I also had pooling oil on the shift tower. 35k with the plate mod.

The shift tower part is less than $200 but Ford doesn't service the transmission unit. In theory the actual gearbox is solid.

Agreed, I'll take a new unit any day. I'm pleased with FoMoCo's solution. Luckily my unit arrived in 3 days, vehicle in and out in a week.

Plenty of people here have had the gearbox shifter assy only replaced under warranty for leaking. Seems odd to replace the whole box for a simple selector assy leak plus introduces all sorts of human factors possibilities by the dealership techs.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Yep. Odd.

Technically part of the transmission and I was told they do not 'explore' or 'repair' simply 'replace'.

Whatever . . .

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whelp. It's back ordered sure enough. Best guess is two or three months, but they really don't know for sure.
Awesome.

Well time to rack up some miles on the rental, I'm feeling the urge for a road trip suddenly.

·
Registered
802 Posts

I’ve got serious experience with these Ford tranz and I have not heard of one not leaking through the vent plate . This is an clogged filter on the emission component only which Ford chose to use a sealed filter design. This design is horrible and works for less than 20k miles before becoming clogged. Once clogged the pressure inside the transmission will bleed thru the gasket less sealant they use. An easy fix is use a normal crankcase filter like old school cars always did. I use Uni branded crankcase filters. I always put one on any ford manual car as they all use this POS design.

Reactions: DeanHart

·
Registered
487 Posts
I’ve got serious experience with these Ford tranz and I have not heard of one not leaking through the vent plate . This is an clogged filter on the emission component only which Ford chose to use a sealed filter design. This design is horrible and works for less than 20k miles before becoming clogged. Once clogged the pressure inside the transmission will bleed thru the gasket less sealant they use. An easy fix is use a normal crankcase filter like old school cars always did. I use Uni branded crankcase filters. I always put one on any ford manual car as they all use this POS design.
Pics???
Part numbers???

·
Registered
802 Posts
Pics???
Part numbers???

I then used fuel line as a substitute for the oem since the oem one has little to no stretch. I say this because I chose to use a larger press fit filter and make the choke point of anything the plastic oem elbow located on the vent plate. The hose is locate on top of the shift tower engine block side??. Oh yea for those Cali lawyers I didn’t recommend this I only made suggestions . Lol

·
Registered
847 Posts

I then used fuel line as a substitute for the oem since the oem one has little to no stretch. I say this because I chose to use a larger press fit filter and make the choke point of anything the plastic oem elbow located on the vent plate. The hose is locate on top of the shift tower engine block side??. Oh yea for those Cali lawyers I didn’t recommend this I only made suggestions . Lol

Do you do that to the ptu vent too?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Do you do that to the ptu vent too?
Have not had a leak so far knock on wood , but I’d assume since it’s evaporative emission related components it’s also sealed on its filter, I’ll take a look over holidays .

·
Registered
847 Posts
Have not had a leak so far knock on wood , but I’d assume since it’s evaporative emission related components it’s also sealed on its filter, I’ll take a look over holidays .

Looks identical. Same looking plastic at the end of the tube.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Good to know I’ll plan on that mod as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sorry to hear about your transmission issues. thought i would share my story: notchy shifting between 3 and 4. felt like synchros. dealer i bought it from, landmark ford in tigard oregon, said 'it wasn't broken enough" to warrant fixing. fought with them for months. finally took it to another dealer, they instantly agreed something was wrong. after notifying ford, they said the same, don't even bother opening it up, we will replace the whole thing. well, the dealer already had, and i asked what was the issue. sure enough, the 3-4 synchros were both bad. here is the kicker: the replacement synchros are completely different, different part number, everything. they said all the replacement transmissions are now a different part number as well, all being done with the new style synchros. i had to wait two months for mine. so, there is/was definitely an issue with the original synchros, and ford didn't even question replacing it with the new style transmission. good luck with yours!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts