Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was NOT an easy decision for me. In fact, this was without a doubt the roughest car decision I've ever made.

I sold my GTO a few years back for various reasons (I still lay awake at night and sob about it and watch my youtube vidoe of the exhaust) and ended up with a 5.0. It was automatic because of the wife, but it was fun. I liked it. It felt like a boat though and after driving my friend's ST I had to have one.

So I bought an ST and modded it because i knew it wouldn't be fast enough. After fmic, catted downpipe, catback exhaust...it still wasn't fast enough, although fast enough to ruin 1st and 2nd gear which sucked with no traction. So I sold it last April...by the time the RS gets here I will have gone just over a year with nothing fun to drive so that should make the RS feel like a rocket ship. LOL.

My decision was difficult because I wanted something faster. I wanted straight line speed. I wanted v8 sound (though I don't like the 5.0....I was going with 6th Gen Camaro SS).

What made it so hard though is that my two boys are 8 and 10 (9 and 11) by the time the RS gets here. It's getting harder to just fold up the front seat and let them hop in because their legs are getting longer. Plus I have a big dog and with a v8 coupe I'd have to pay someone to watch him when I travel.

Long story short:

I got the RS but in the back of my mind I still wonder about straight line speed. It's heavier than the ST but has more power. I'm hoping it's a BLAST. It has 4 doors and AWD- that's what did it. It has things a v8 coupe just can't give me.

BUT are we really giving up much?

Magazine racing tells us the new 5.0 goes 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and does the 1/4 mile @ 13 flat. (dumb that Ford made it heavier than '13-'14 but cest la vie)
The RS is "claimed" to be at 4.6 0-60 and 13.1 in the 1/4 mile.

I know that's just magazine racing and I'm really hoping to see some people cut a sub 4.5 0-60 and a 12.9 1/4 mile. But the reality is most mustang drivers won't do 0-60 in 4.5, it'll be closer to 5 because of spinning.

So my superfluous and garrulous post is this: How much difference do you think there will really be between a stock RS and a stock 5.0?

·
Registered
460 Posts
The Reason I went for a Focus RS instead of a Mustang GT is....

Over a Year waiting time(Switzerland. We love Mustangs)
No Shelby :(

So yeah...

I think itll be about the driver. Id assume that both cars are nearly the same 0-60, and that the rest depends on the driver.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was in some what of a similar position. I was originally looking at the Hellcat Charger (4 doors) as my next ride. However after purchasing a 2015 ST for my daughter and upon hearing about the RS, I changed my mind and ordered an RS instead of going with the Hellcat.

My rationale was this: the charger would be fun and great in a straight line, but that's about it. The RS will also be fun, not quite as fast in a straight line, but will handle WAY better and get better gas mileage. So being that this will also be my daily driver, the choice was easy for me in the end.

Total car value vs max speed value

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
This was NOT an easy decision for me. In fact, this was without a doubt the roughest car decision I've ever made.

I sold my GTO a few years back for various reasons (I still lay awake at night and sob about it and watch my youtube vidoe of the exhaust) and ended up with a 5.0. It was automatic because of the wife, but it was fun. I liked it. It felt like a boat though and after driving my friend's ST I had to have one.

So I bought an ST and modded it because i knew it wouldn't be fast enough. After fmic, catted downpipe, catback exhaust...it still wasn't fast enough, although fast enough to ruin 1st and 2nd gear which sucked with no traction. So I sold it last April...by the time the RS gets here I will have gone just over a year with nothing fun to drive so that should make the RS feel like a rocket ship. LOL.

My decision was difficult because I wanted something faster. I wanted straight line speed. I wanted v8 sound (though I don't like the 5.0....I was going with 6th Gen Camaro SS).

What made it so hard though is that my two boys are 8 and 10 (9 and 11) by the time the RS gets here. It's getting harder to just fold up the front seat and let them hop in because their legs are getting longer. Plus I have a big dog and with a v8 coupe I'd have to pay someone to watch him when I travel.

Long story short:

I got the RS but in the back of my mind I still wonder about straight line speed. It's heavier than the ST but has more power. I'm hoping it's a BLAST. It has 4 doors and AWD- that's what did it. It has things a v8 coupe just can't give me.

Magazine racing tells us the new 5.0 goes 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and does the 1/4 mile @ 13 flat. (dumb that Ford made it heavier than '13-'14 but cest la vie)

I know that's just magazine racing and I'm really hoping to see some people cut a sub 4.5 0-60 and a 12.9 1/4 mile. But the reality is most mustang drivers won't do 0-60 in 4.5, it'll be closer to 5 because of spinning.

So my superfluous and garrulous post is this: How much difference do you think there will really be between a stock RS and a stock 5.0?
I'll take AWD and handling and it being a HALO car all day every day. I can get a mustang any day of the week not so much with the RS. That's why I went with the RS.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My thoughts...

RS Cons:
Probably slower at the strip.
Doesn't sound as cool as a 'stang with an after market exhaust (IMO)
Probably slightly slower at most road courses.
Just a Focus to average Joe

RS Pros:
Faster off the line
More practical interior
Faster at AutoX
AWD for driving around planet Hoth
Can get your choice of Storm Trooper white or Darth Vader black.
Just a Focus to officer Joe

·
Registered
520 Posts
Went with the RS because AWD, halo car, limited production (more exclusive), plus hatchback practicality. Also, at first glance by an average Joe (despite the wing and exhausts/splitters/diffusers) the RS looks, well, like a Focus. I kinda like that sleeper aspect! Average Joes automatically associate Mustang with speed and performance no matter what model.

·
Registered
457 Posts
[/QUOTE] AWD for driving around planet Hoth
Just a Focus to officer Joe[/QUOTE]

This ˄˄˄˄˄˄

Is the best answers anyone could ever possibly give!!!!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Went with the RS because AWD, halo car, limited production (more exclusive), plus hatchback practicality. Also, at first glance by an average Joe (despite the wing and exhausts/splitters/diffusers) the RS looks, well, like a Focus. I kinda like that sleeper aspect! Average Joes automatically associate Mustang with speed and performance no matter what model.
And it'll blend in nicely with all the snow up there right. lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sadly, I did not order Stormtrooper White or Darth Vader Black. But they're cool.

I ordered Palpatine Grey. Cuz. Sith.

I do think 0-60 will be on par and we'll probably beat most GT drivers to 60 or 100.

Not that I'm saying I will or should street race, but it should be noticeably quicker than the ST and like another poster said- you can ALWAYS buy a mustang.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My thoughts...

RS Cons:
Probably slower at the strip.
Doesn't sound as cool as a 'stang with an after market exhaust (IMO)
Probably slightly slower at most road courses.
Just a Focus to average Joe

RS Pros:
Faster off the line
More practical interior
Faster at AutoX
AWD for driving around planet Hoth
Just a Focus to officer Joe
I'm actually thinking that exhaust might attract every office Joe within a mile radius! Haha

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a feeling the RS (stock) will actually beat the new GT (stock) in a street race.

The AWD along with the launch control should make it so that the RS launches from the hole way better than the GT and will get a good enough jump from the get go, to be able to stay ahead.

Not that I am promoting street racing by any means ..... That would be illegal! ������

·
Registered
336 Posts

Long story short:

I used to drag race my Subaru WRX very successfully, with 225 hp, because of the ultra-quick launches AWD gives you. You jump out in front of your competitor so quickly, they usually panic, floor it too hard, and lose in a cloud of rear tire smoke. Same thing may happen with a 5.0.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As I'll be selling my 2012 5.0 to get the RS, I feel like I should weigh in here. I love my Mustang, the sound, the speed and the looks, but, like people have said, it's not very practical and only 2WD. Right now I only drive my Mustang in the summer and plan to drive the RS year around, so that's a big bonus for me. The AWD plus practicality, plus the looks of a Focus keep it under the radar from the fuzz too. I will miss the sound of the V8 for sure and just it's sexy lines, but it no longer fits my lifestyle anymore.

I mainly do OTD's on road courses with my Stang, but I have taken it to the strip a few times. On on chilly (~50F) day I ran a [email protected] with a poor 2.3 60ft. The car only had GT500 mufflers and a Roush CAI on it too, so it was essentially stock power. I feel like with a good 60ft, the car is capable of 12.5-12.6. I know the RS will be a few ticks slower than that, prob 13 flat, but am I really gonna notice a few tenths of a second in the real world? Probably not, so for all intents and purposes, they'll be the same straight line speed over the 1/4 (to me at least). Now I also agree the AWD should allow it to smoke the GT in 60ft, but the horsepower of the 5.0 will probably reel it in through trap speed.

My biggest fear in the driving difference between the two is turbo lag. I hear the RS with a twin scroll turbo and direct injection makes lag almost non-existent, but when you're coming from the 5.0L V8 with TiVCT and instant response and torque, lag might be noticeable.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The mustang has, and will continue to be a "me too" car

"oh I drive a Mustang, cool me too"

Now back to the topic, on a track stock vs stock i think the RS will win, the gt is fast but not RS fast,

On the streets it will be closer, wouldn't be surprised if most RS's won, but a GT is definitely capable of giving the RS a run.... Not that we would ever do that, that's what need for speed is for,

i dont know about drag racing so ill leave that to you people who are more knowledgeable

·
Registered
418 Posts
The mustang can be difficult to get off the line quickly in a lot of scenarios, one of which is your average driver, who will most likely hammer the throttle and just spin. The RS, with it's launch control, should easily beat the average GT driver to 60.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
33 Participants
Gh0st
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing