1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More info from Autoevolution:

2016-ford.jpg

by Andrei Tutu, 16th September 2015

We all knew the 2016 Ford Focus RS would be awesome and yet we didn’t expect the third generation of the Blue Oval’s manic hatch to become the performance bargain of the year.

Ford has announced the UK market pricing for the Focus RS and its GBP28,940 starting price means it undercuts the front-wheel drive Honda Civic Type R by about one thousand pounds. As for the Volkswagen Golf R, this is two grand more expensive than the Ford.

The performance numbers are music to our ears

And that’s not all. Ford also announced the RS can put its all-wheel drive to good use and hit 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.7 seconds, which places it 1s ahead of the JDM-flavored rival. Heck, it also places it 0.4s in front of the BMW M135i, as well as ahead of the Subaru WRX STI.

Sure, there are quicker cars in the segment, but you’ll have to enter the premium area and you bank account will regret it. For instance, the Audi RS3 can take you to 62 mph half a second quicker, but it will cost you about ten thousand pounds more.

As for the top speed, the 2016 Focus RS can hit 266 km/h (165 mph), making full use of the 350 PS (345 hp) and 325 lb-ft / 440 Nm (make that 347 lb-ft / 470 Nm with Overboost).

What about the American side of this hot hatch adventure?

Ford has yet to announced the US pricing for the hot hatch, but the rumor mill sees the Focus being offer for a little under $35,000. However, if you’re planning on grabbing one, you might want to talk to your dealer in advance, as the production, which comes from Ford’s Saarlouis plant in Germany, will be limited.

Oh, and let's not forget the Focus RS comes with a drift mode that allows the driver to exploit the AWD in order to pull sideways shenanigans.

[video=youtube;3uhUYBrfbzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uhUYBrfbzI​
[/video]

2016 Ford Focus RS Hits 62 MPH in 4.7s, Pricing Makes It a Performance Bargain - Video - autoevolution

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Top Speed is now 167 for FoRS?

I found this over on the Ford UK site:

Focus RS | Ford UK

You can also configure your own.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It appears that they did this on the normal Pilot Super Sports too. The Cup 2s might be good for a slight increase.

Unless they decided to mount the Cup 2s to the standard wheels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ah, folks, lbs are more than a dollar US. Convert that $28,940 lbs is $45,076.94 in US currency. In terms of Euros, it's $33,099.09 US. My GM at my Ford dealer is hinting at $35-36k for this car. They will be on a order only basis and security deposit needed, no matter how well you suck up to the owner/GM. Ford is on top of this after the dealers pulled scams on Hellcats wanting 15k deposits on top of a 65k base price car.

Plus, folks, the European car is 75-100 lbs lighter than in the states, because certain things are not on their cars: bumpers, airbags, etc. And it's on 93-95 octane level fuels. 0-62 Europe, which is a 0-60 of about: 4.5 sec for our US calc. On 91 octane, 4.8 sec.... Add the extra weight of US regs to US 93 octane state car and that 4.5 0-60 becomes 4.7 sec and 91 octane is 5.1 sec. It'll take a 400-410 hp tune to get it to 60 in 4 to 4.1 sec. Don't expect to see many RS's on the roads in the US at this price point. I'd rather get a Golf R or CLA45 at this rate.

We do have a 2.3 ST option coming as a less expensive price point alternative. It's using the MKc 2.3 motor though, which is not 100% identical to the 2.3 mustang motor.

Fords database says the average ST owner is 32-36 years old, average income of 55k. They expect for the RS target age group to be 33-38. Average individual income of at least 65k. So it'll be interesting to see how accurate the stats on the RS become. They were spot on with the ST.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So Sobster88, you want the car to be slower? Are you nuts? Slight increase makes the trip to 60 longer. You mean decrease, as in faster. A faster car in 0-60 is losing time, but in a 1/4 mi, higher trap speeds are gains. A faster time is a decrease. Think next time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It appears that they did this on the normal Pilot Super Sports too. The Cup 2s might be good for a slight increase.

Unless they decided to mount the Cup 2s to the standard wheels.
If It was me, I'd want better tires for faster times and more mph in the 1/4, which means I want a "decrease" for faster times and an "increase" in trap speeds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are down sides to the SportCups: they need to be warmed properly and kept warm which is not easy unless you want to loose license. Next, if you live where it rains much, you'll be off the road in a ditch in the SportCups, as they're recommended for places often dry and warm, as in Inland in Central-So CA, Souther AZ, Texas and they're useless in outside temps under 45F. They are as bad as adrag radial on the street. The regular Pilotsupersports will be plenty for 95% of owners.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
image.jpg

Too many posts without pics

·
Registered
148 Posts
So Sobster88, you want the car to be slower? Are you nuts? Slight increase makes the trip to 60 longer. You mean decrease, as in faster. A faster car in 0-60 is losing time, but in a 1/4 mi, higher trap speeds are gains. A faster time is a decrease. Think next time.
If It was me, I'd want better tires for faster times and more mph in the 1/4, which means I want a "decrease" for faster times and an "increase" in trap speeds.
You guys are correct. A decreased time or an increase in performance is what I meant. :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Next one to post without a pic gets a four hour ban. image.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone just registered on site and this is my first post. I am currently an Audi driver (hiss boo I know) but have been looking to replace my S4 for a few months now. I was really excited about the RS3 however having recently test driven it I was bitterly disappointed that it felt as though I was playing Forza than actually driving. There is a delay on pressing the gas pedal and the car actually moving and thus reminded me why I have always bought manual. Given the Golf manual is slower than my current car the announcement of the Focus RS has raised my interest. Although info has been scarce the configorator is now out. Having visited the Ford showroom and seen how Ford seem to have come on in build quality (ST looks lovely) I have defected to the blue oval and put down my deposit. I am sure there are lots of other drivers out there who want to drive a car because they enjoy driving and with most manufacturers going S Tronic etc fair play to Ford for making RS manual only. Roll on next Spring.

·
Registered
315 Posts
interesting....somebody on the forum, bought an S4, not sure if he'll also buy an RS now because the thread title hinted that he "caved in"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts