Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
focus-rs-base-price1.jpg

Pricing has finally leaked for the 2016 Focus RS! Members of FocusRS.org and FocusST.org were able to catch the pricing on Ford's website for a brief period of time before it was removed. The base model (5 Door Focus RS) will start at $35,730. That's almost right in line with what we were expecting. Continue the discussion already in progress here: http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/345-showed-up-our-order-bank-35.html

focus-rs-base-price2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
It's awesome to see that the forums got the word out before the reporting magazines did.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I will be buying a "bare bones" RS so when I am ready I hope & pray I can get as close to $35,730 as possible. A/C and heat plus base radio is all I will require.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I will be buying a "bare bones" RS so when I am ready I hope & pray I can get as close to $35,730 as possible. A/C and heat plus base radio is all I will require.
Who needs a radio! Just open the windows and listen to the exhaust!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Who needs a radio! Just open the windows and listen to the exhaust!
I am not 16/26/36 or 46yrs old anymore so I do not enjoy a loud, pronounced and constant exhaust note or drone. Did you not notice that I live in Houston? I refuse to sweat in my vehicles. ;)

·
Registered
971 Posts
I am not 16/26/36 or 46yrs old anymore so I do not enjoy a loud, pronounced and constant exhaust note or drone. Did you not notice that I live in Houston? I refuse to sweat in my vehicles. ;)
I am none of those ages either and lived in Dallas for 12 years so know what you mean. I was just joking. I don't want anything fancy either!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Give me four wheels, four tires, three differentials, four cylinders, one turbo, six gears, four dampers, and four piston brakes. You can keep the heated seats, sunroof, and touch screen. I'll take it for $36,000...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I understand that the RS doesn't have three traditional mechanical diffs. It has a front open diff with brake-based torque vectoring and a rear with clutchpacks which work as the center and rear and a bunch of damn wires but that didn't flow quite as well. I still see it as three diffs just different...

·
Registered
11 Posts
careful, not all the young bucks like "LOUD" exhaust either. I've lived quite a while in Houston(9years), and grew up in Austin, agreed on the A/C.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I understand that the RS doesn't have three traditional mechanical diffs. It has a front open diff with brake-based torque vectoring and a rear with clutchpacks which work as the center and rear and a bunch of damn wires but that didn't flow quite as well. I still see it as three diffs just different...
Let's agree that it really has two. The RDU is a differential as it has a ring and pinion. :cool:

GKN_Twinster_PTU.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agreed, 2 diffs plus TV...

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
Yeah, one open diff in the front connected to rear spool. Unless there is some CVP somewhere in there the front diff and rear spool should turn at ~1:1 ratio of each other. This is why the up to 70% of torque to rear claim is still is not making much sense, best my mind can wrap around with the info I know of the car is that it may disable the front torque vectoring to allow one of tires to spin and with both rear clutch engaged the rear in theory then applies more torque to the ground. But once the rear propel the car the front can't continue to slip (back to the ~1:1 thing). Still want more info on the front PTU.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Technically it is a Spool in the rear :D
Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full. :cool:

What is a Rear Drive Unit?
The RDU is the big "pumpkin" at the back which supplies torque to the rear halfshafts. Most often people refer to this as a rear diff, but the differential is simply a component which is located inside the drive module. Like the PTU the RDU contains a ring and pinion. This serves to once again rotate the direction of torque and transfer it from the propshaft to the rear halfshafts. As the gear ratio in the PTU reduced torque and increased speed in the propshaft the RDU does the opposite. It reduces the speed and increases the torque value. This gear ratio is usually slightly different from the PTU such that the RDU is rotating a little bit faster (less than 0.5%) to maintain load on the gear teeth and reduce the probability of gear rattle. In some cases the RDU is just the drive module itself. In some cases it includes a torque tube mounted to the front. The advantage of the torque tube is a shorter propshaft making balancing easier. It also changes the front mounting point of the RDU providing a much higher resistance to axle wind-up. The obvious disadvantage is the weight and sacrifice to packaging.
From one of the GKN engineers working on the project, who is a member here. Active AWD Systems: An Introduction

1 - 20 of 32 Posts