Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a rs soon. One of the discussions on here says that the 2018 rs had received some updates to the suspension. Has anyone been able to drive the different model years back to back? If so is there a noticeable difference the the ride quality between any of the years. If there is is it worth the money difference for the 2018 or should I get a 16 or 17 and do some aftermarket upgrades?

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts

at the end of the thread some user experiences comparing the dampers.

the MY18 also have the mechanical LSD installed from factory........ some don't like it some do.

Reactions: PokerRun388

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
My experience with my 17 vs my newly owned 18.. The 18 feels a bit more solid on corners but I don't do any track days or races. I am happy with my 18 because one//. it is a Limited Edition Model two//. the black mirror, roof, and spoiler three//. carbon fiber package. My opinion if you are don't care about any off those things and you just want to build a car, a 16-17 is a good platform. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I drove an early '17 and found the ride considerably rougher than the '18. I paid the extra money for the '18. Couldn't be happier. I've done two 2400 mile trips in my my18 with my family that doesn't love the car plus multiple 4+ hour trips with no complaints.

If you're not looking to modify, the my18 is the way to go.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Banned
589 Posts
The 2018 last editions have the prestige factor & are the best cars w/ no head gasket concerns, however are you okay with Nitrous Blue or Red Red? If not, then you can try to find a later build 2017 with the revised dampers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Please don’t take advice from someone who hasn’t even driven one of these cars, let alone own one.

My car is an early '17 with the first version of the OEM dampers. They are bad IMO, but I'm dubious that the later revisions are so much better that they're worth the effort to use as a replacement. Which is why my plan is to go with something that is known to be far better - either KW DDC or Ohlins coilovers.

One thing to note: even if you get an '18 it's no guarantee that the latest revision dampers will be fitted, since there were reports of a few members with '18s that didn't have them. My suspicion is that this is why the opinions on how different the ride on the '18 is tend to be all over the map. It's an extremely YMMV situation.

Good luck & post up when you get your car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, do you like blue? If so, just buy the ‘18 LE NB at the Kia Dealer in Scottsdale.... it looks 100% stock & it great condition + it’s still under warranty.

LMFAO

Coming from the guy who won't nut up and get one himself?

OP: I have driven them back to back. I have a 17 and my buddy has a 18. On the street the difference is negligible. I don't have any input regarding track use.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Lol, old mate Poker Run getting blow torched in here too!!
Popular troll, is popular!!

Reactions: syner

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I've remained somewhat silent on that member, but they have absolutely no business offering an opinion on ride quality when they can't even be bothered to go drive an RS. End_of_story. The OP should know that the member in question has no credibility on the subject.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Arrange test drives back-to-back if you can. I drove a 16 and two 18's on two consecutive days, both the 18's rode better than the 16. It's also a matter of relativity - I bought the 18 and the ride is better than my two previous cars, a Fiesta ST and a Mitsu Ralliart, which I had no problem DDing for years. It only matters if it matters to you.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
I've remained somewhat silent on that member, but they have absolutely no business offering an opinion on ride quality when they can't even be bothered to go drive an RS. End_of_story. The OP should know that the member in question has no credibility on the subject.

I have been silent (but deadly) in this matters. Trying not to judge as much as I can as I do not want to discourage members and they dont feel safe in our community.......... leaving that there.

If you have done performance cars before, the ride quality on the 17/18 is not too bad. If you will compare it to an ecobox or luxury car then yes...... it's harsh.

Reactions: aheadlan

·
Banned
589 Posts
Lol, old mate Poker Run getting blow torched in here too!!
Popular troll, is popular!!

Man, this is a tough group... I was just pointing out to the OP that the 2018s are only available in two colors, but he probably already knew that. Otherwise, I’ve learned on here that the late model 2017s have revised dampers & the correct head gaskets.

Was what I said so bad? Geez man... I was just passing along what I’ve learned on here from lucky Phil & a few others....

Good luck with your search OP! I hope you finally get one! I’m still looking for an RS myself!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Man, this is a tough group... I was just pointing out to the OP that the 2018s are only available in two colors, but he probably already knew that. Otherwise, I’ve learned on here that the late model 2017s have revised dampers & the correct head gaskets.

Was what I said so bad? Geez man... I was just passing along what I’ve learned on here from lucky Phil & a few others....

Good luck with your search OP! I hope you finally get one! I’m still looking for an RS myself!

Ive said it before and so have others, in every thread you have polluted, you have come up with so many shi7 excuses and EVERYONE IS SICK AND TIRED OF READING YOUR TRASH.
So thats why people are scoffing that you are attempting to give advice!
Also the car only has 1 head GASKET
You keep saying gaskets, which makes you sound even more uneducated on the topic.
I and most others think you have missed the bus and its time to move on and buy something else, which is why your name is on a growing list of those that have you blocked.
Hope that helps you understand Stephen.

Reactions: Martin y

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
100% agree.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Arrange test drives back-to-back if you can. I drove a 16 and two 18's on two consecutive days, both the 18's rode better than the 16. It's also a matter of relativity - I bought the 18 and the ride is better than my two previous cars, a Fiesta ST and a Mitsu Ralliart, which I had no problem DDing for years. It only matters if it matters to you.
Good point. What you're coming from is important.

350Z, 500 Abarth, quite a few Jeeps, farm trucks... I ride with my 17 in track mode all the time and don't find it bad at all.

If you are coming from a luxury sedan or other soft rides, you may find the RS unbearable.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
OP, I wouldn't consider the differences in dampers a factor when buying the RS. It's a hot hatch with a stiff suspension, and can be considered uncomfortable for long periods of time under 45mph. You should seriously think about budgeting for coilovers regardless of the RS that you get if you plan on DDing it. Throwing the most recent dampers on a 2016/2017 is an ok budget option (a few hundred bucks for the set) compared to coilovers, especially if you go with aftermarket springs.

The benefits of the 2018 vs 2016/2017 are mentioned throughout this thread. If you desire blue or red, then try and get a 2018 due to the collectability but be prepared to spend more. I'm not a fan of raw CF, but if you are, then the 2018 is right for you. There are minor differences between the 2016 and 2017, namely the windshield, potential for rev1 dampers, and a late 2017 might have the correct HG from the factory.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts