Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. Thought I’d share my Focus RS headgasket experience for anyone interested.

I was living in Labrador and thought I’d get a fun / practical car after working for a few years and seeking something akin to a Subaru STI without the motor blowing. (But for foreshadowing there).

A friend and I were discussing the merits of different cars, and I had already test driven a few of the options on a trip to St. John’s (rs3 sedan, a45, sti, golf r, qs3, glc43), when he mentioned the RS and truthfully at the time I had no idea what it was. Not sure how I missed it because after we started talking - we brought up some YouTube clips - and it was absolutely everywhere and seemingly thirsty 30 somethings were going bananas over the thing.

Rs3 was too small, glc43 was too expensive, a45 was amazing, golf r was dead, qs3 wS too big but very comfortable, STI was - as we all know. RS seemed a winner.

A few days later I called a few dealership to enquire and was basically laughed at for thinking it was ‘available’. Said the waiting list was 1 year at least and it hadn’t been released in general yet.

Fast forward a few months - still undecided and busy with other things - a salesperson at Ford called me up and asked if I was still interested in an RS - as one of his customers backed out. I said sure - paid a 5k deposit and anxiously awaited a car in about 2 months. Unbelievably - car came in, purchased through ford credit with 0 percent financing somehow - and went on my way.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Enjoyed the car for about a year - left it basically bone stock except for an aluminum skidplate, mudflaps, and some findway mats (which actually havnetheld up all that well to be honest) before the the issues with headgaskets became a recall. Found I was on the list to get checked out - but I was living in a place without a mechanics certified on Ford performance.
Called Ford to discuss, and they documented my case - agreeing that likely it wouldn’t be an issue - but it would be checked any time I could get the car to a certified mechanic. If the car developed problems they would cover.

Fast forward to a few months before the warranty was up, and I had just moved to a place that had a proper mechanic - and lo and behold the coolant started dropping.

Took the car to ford to get it checked. They had no history of the head gasket recall (in fact - the Ford system was scrubbed of that recall history) - and it took a load of talking to Ford, the dealership and customer relations to find the relevant history, recall, and conversations.

In the end the engine needed to be replaced and after we were able to establish the prior conversations and recall - Ford ended up covered the whole thing - just months before the warranty ended.

The entire fiasco took about 9 weeks to sort out - but the dealership gave me a loaner vehicle rental in the meantime.

When the car returned - it was better than ever.

Now I have about 25k on the car - a few on the new engine and still enjoy it every time I get the chance to take it out (mostly for ice cream runs now to be fair).

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out for you. My 16 was early enough in the build it didn’t need one. At the end of the day as long as it was replaced that’s a good thing and you can continue to enjoy it for a long time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts