Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
The CBC article has a picture of an RS in their story. I sent them a correction, but I wouldn’t hold my breath that they’ll actually correct the photo.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My RS had a similar issue...

After the Head and HG recall around Feb, I discovered the RS fuel economy went bad significantly. Took it back to the dealer they told me one of the fuel injector kept opening. They needed to replace that bad one and now everything goes back to normal. Don't know whether there was any computer re-program tho. I doubt they have checked the canister nor the fuel tank...

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
My RS had that exact issue...

After the Head and HG recall around Feb, I discovered the RS fuel economy went bad significantly. Took it back to the dealer they told me one of the fuel injector kept opening. They needed to replace that bad one and now everything goes back to normal. Don't know whether there was any computer re-program tho. I doubt they have checked the canister nor the fuel tank...
I think you may have had a similar, or even identical symptom, but the root cause it likely very different. This recall is about a purge valve within canister, not a fuel injector.

Wait, so does this affect our RS's?
Reading the release directly as Ford wrote it, No. They clearly state it is for those with 2.0L engine built at the Michigan Plant, as we know we have 2.3L cars that were built in Germany. So, at this time the RS is not included unless the part is found to be common and the issue not caused as a result if install or handling of the part at the plant they are currently reporting the recall for.

·
5,608 Posts
The CBC article has a picture of an RS in their story. I sent them a correction, but I wouldn’t hold my breath that they’ll actually correct the photo.
Haha
Those journalists have no idea.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Probably. Maybe. Possibly. Let's wait for Ford's TSB before we start jumping to conclusions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reading the Ford media release I don't really see any issue with our cars, but there is a chance they could push the updated code mentioned in this line "Dealers will reprogram the powertrain control module with new software that will detect a malfunctioning canister purge valve and prevent a potential excessive fuel vapor system vacuum condition from occurring." to other cars if it can improve detection of a defective valve, hope a MIL is part of that process to get the defective part replace rather than just an alternate way to prevent the "potential excessive fuel vapor system vacuum."

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think you may have had a similar, or even identical symptom, but the root cause it likely very different. This recall is about a purge valve within canister, not a fuel injector.
Yeah, the more I read the recall news, the more I think it's a similar symptom but different issue. I changed my post to "similar" issue. :peaceful:

·
Super Moderator
15,785 Posts
Ford Motor Company Issues Recall in North America for Select 2012-18 Ford Focus Vehicles for Malfunctioning Canister Purge Valve

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 25, 2018 – Ford is issuing a recall for approximately 1.5 million select 2012-18 Ford Focus vehicles equipped with 2.0-liter GDI and 2.0-liter GTDI engines for a malfunctioning canister purge valve.

Affected vehicles are equipped with a canister purge valve that may become stuck in an open position. If this occurs, an excessive vacuum in the fuel system could cause deformation of the vehicle’s plastic fuel tank. As a result, the customer could observe a malfunction indicator light or a fuel gauge with fluctuating or inaccurate fuel levels. This could lead to a stall while driving and/or an inability to restart the vehicle, which can increase the risk of a crash.

Ford is not aware of any accidents, injuries or fires as a result of this condition.

Affected vehicles include 2012-18 Ford Focus 2.0-liter GDI vehicles built at Michigan Assembly Plant prior to April 13, 2017 and 2.0-liter GTDI vehicles built prior to Feb. 2, 2018.

There are approximately 1,463,389 vehicles in North America relating to this concern, with 1,282,596 in the United States and federalized territories, 136,272 in Canada and 44,521 in Mexico. The Ford reference number for this recall is 18S32.

Dealers will reprogram the powertrain control module with new software that will detect a malfunctioning canister purge valve and prevent a potential excessive fuel vapor system vacuum condition from occurring. Dealers will inspect and replace the canister purge valve, carbon canister, fuel tank and fuel delivery module, as necessary. There will be no charge for these services. Customers should maintain at least a half tank of fuel until the recall is completed.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/10/25/ford-motor-company-issues-recall-in-north-america-for-select-201.html

Guess I can look forward to receiving a recall notice for my FoST.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
My RS had a similar issue...

Your issue was almost certainly due to one of the injectors being damaged causing it to not seat correctly and leak during the HG replacement. Injectors are quite sensitive to mechanical damage if care is not taken.

Ciao

·
Registered
39 Posts
Noticed the RS in that article earlier today as well and definitely had a chuckle. Didn't think about actually correcting them :rofl2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts