Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 RS with just over 17K miles on it. It is my daily driver only, no track use. Lately my engine oil temperature is becoming overly hot, especially on days that are hot outside. I have all mods for stage 2 on my Cobb AP. I do live in Colorado, west Denver, so I don't know if the altitude affects this but I'm giving all details to get the best answer. I do not know how hot it is, I know the gauge shows just past midway. Knowing this is a daily driver with several mods, is this expected? What effect does this have overall? Do I need an oil cooler? Help please, thank you.

Second, does anyone know where I can get a custom tune for my car in my situation, west Denver. I had someone reliable tell me the fuel to oxygen mix is causing problems with my ECU because the pre-loaded stage 2 map is not meant for high altitude or more specifically, created for driving at sea level and lower altitudes. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Can't help but you're aware the oil temp is not a real gauge, right? It's just calculated off coolant temperature and other readings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in Broomfield and travel through Denver on 25 in rush hour traffic. On the really hot days the "Oil Temp" gauge will creep just over midway if I am in stop and go traffic. The moment I get to moving it drops back down. Like wobbletop stated its not actually a oil temp gauge. I would not worry about it as long as you change your oil regularly you should be fine. This is my 4th summer in the Denver area and I have never had a problem.

If you have Facebook I suggest jumping on to the Colorado ST/RS page. A lot of good information on there about local shops and what local people are running for tunes. I am on it and its a great page to join.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Broomfield and travel through Denver on 25 in rush hour traffic. On the really hot days the "Oil Temp" gauge will creep just over midway if I am in stop and go traffic. The moment I get to moving it drops back down. Like wobbletop stated its not actually a oil temp gauge. I would not worry about it as long as you change your oil regularly you should be fine. This is my 4th summer in the Denver area and I have never had a problem.

If you have Facebook I suggest jumping on to the Colorado ST/RS page. A lot of good information on there about local shops and what local people are running for tunes. I am on it and its a great page to join.
I will look on FB, thank you for the info!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I do not know how hot it is, I know the gauge shows just past midway. Knowing this is a daily driver with several mods, is this expected? What effect does this have overall? Do I need an oil cooler? Help please, thank you.
That "just past mid-way" mark is still in the normal range, so you are fine. Even on a hot trackday (100+) I get to about the 3/4 mark before I start doing cool down laps. I would avoid an oil cooler, specially if you are only daily driving the car.

Second, does anyone know where I can get a custom tune for my car in my situation, west Denver. I had someone reliable tell me the fuel to oxygen mix is causing problems with my ECU because the pre-loaded stage 2 map is not meant for high altitude or more specifically, created for driving at sea level and lower altitudes. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Any reputable e-tuner can get you a custom tune that accounts for your conditions (elevation, etc.). JST, Stratified, Randy @ tunewerks (formerly of Mountune), Tune+, etc. Only reason you'd really want a local tuner is if you want to do a dyno tune, in which case, you'll have to ask around your local group.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 2018 RS with just over 17K miles on it. It is my daily driver only, no track use. Lately my engine oil temperature is becoming overly hot, especially on days that are hot outside. I have all mods for stage 2 on my Cobb AP. I do live in Colorado, west Denver, so I don't know if the altitude affects this but I'm giving all details to get the best answer. I do not know how hot it is, I know the gauge shows just past midway. Knowing this is a daily driver with several mods, is this expected? What effect does this have overall? Do I need an oil cooler? Help please, thank you.

I would try Edge Autosport, they have a dyno and can do live tuning for you right there. I have heard great things about them from several people in the RS community.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That "just past mid-way" mark is still in the normal range, so you are fine. Even on a hot trackday (100+) I get to about the 3/4 mark before I start doing cool down laps. I would avoid an oil cooler, specially if you are only daily driving the car.

Any reputable e-tuner can get you a custom tune that accounts for your conditions (elevation, etc.). JST, Stratified, Randy @ tunewerks (formerly of Mountune), Tune+, etc. Only reason you'd really want a local tuner is if you want to do a dyno tune, in which case, you'll have to ask around your local group.
Thank you for the help, much appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would try Edge Autosport, they have a dyno and can do live tuning for you right there. I have heard great things about them from several people in the RS community.
Thank you for the recommendation, I'll check m them out! Thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts