Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a handful of mods MAPerformance was able to get over 500hp out of the stock block of a 2.3l ecoboost motor! Now I can't imagine it would last long running that much boost but it's neat to see.

Here is the current setup on the car:

MAP 5858 turbo kit
MAP cat back with resonators
MAP intercooler
Tuned by yours truly
29psi on pump gas / RaceGas mix

Stock block, stock rods, stock bearings, stock pistons, stock head, stock cams, stock valvetrain.

Read [email protected] MAPerformance: EBM Stock Block HP Record 501whp/464wtq (STD) | 62 lb/min Turbo | Mustang Ecoboost Forum

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not to downplay how cool that is, but Chevy got more HP than that (around 750hp IIRC) out of the 2.2L Ecotec in 2007................I'm just sayin' :cool:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I wonder what is different between the Ecoboost engines in the RS and mustang. They were pushing 29psi on race gas to get that 500 horse. Say on pump gas and less boost I'm sure it's still over 400 whp. Still impressive tho. How much boost does the Ecoboost run stock?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I wonder what is different between the Ecoboost engines in the RS and mustang. They were pushing 29psi on race gas to get that 500 horse. Say on pump gas and less boost I'm sure it's still over 400 whp. Still impressive tho. How much boost does the Ecoboost run stock?
That is with a 5858 turbo. I have seen the stock 2.3 get up to 430lb ft, but that was just to find the limit of the turbo, the curve was like Everest lol. As for differences between the two, the RS will have a larger compressor for the turbo by 3mm, stronger liners(bring on the F*in boost lol), stronger alloy from the cylinder head and a more robust head gasket. There may also be more details Ford hasn't told us yet as well. How far will the RS go stock not sure but 400whp may be a stretch on pump, I hope not as that it my goal with the stock snail. If not EFR 6758 and go from there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The RS only needs 370hp/400ft-lbs of TQ to be an absolute monster. I see no problem with the RS getting close to that on 94 octane pump gas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the RS is truly a good drivers car like Ford states, we may get bored with the power very quickly if it handles it well. I like to be scared at least sometimes lol!
Everyone gets bored with the power I think. After driving a car, you get use to the power it makes and it doesnt seem as fast anymore. There are some people that will be fine with it and others that will go balls deep into building it to make more and more and more power. Its part of what makes the enthusiast world great.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Everyone gets bored with the power I think. After driving a car, you get use to the power it makes and it doesnt seem as fast anymore. There are some people that will be fine with it and others that will go balls deep into building it to make more and more and more power. Its part of what makes the enthusiast world great.
When you find you have grown tired of the HP, you'll notice you have an affinity for buying new rubber all the time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
[Slow Clap]

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
HP is great but even better when unnecessary weight is shed. Cars nowadays are making big power but could go on a diet to shed some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yes of course more horsepower is great, but it's the torque that's the secrete to speed.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
LOL, Torque is the answer though, it is the raw data, HP is just a calculation that includes torque as an input.
Where HP comes in is when an engine can rev, this allows the use of TQ multiplication by staying in a lower gear. You are absolutely correct in saying HP is TQ. HP = TQ x RPM over 5250, this is why dyno charts always intersect at 5250 rpms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts