Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at the OC auto show, I couldn't help but think that the stock 19s are WAY to big for the stock brake package. Anybody else think the same thing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you have a good picture taken from level height of the brakes behind the wheels? So far I've only seen them at an angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Reportedly some 18 will clear but we are going to have to watch the spoke design and look for wheels wth a 50mm offset. For example the ST 18" wheels won't clear. They have a 55 mm offset but it's reported the spokes rub the calipers.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's from the reveal version but the one I saw at the OC show looks the same, just a different color.

449d1425656552-ford-focus-rs-2015-preview-power-leaked-new-video-alp_1804.jpg

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fronts do an OK job, there is still a bit of gap. But the rears are nothing but open air. I think I might be downsizing to 18s or maybe see about making a wilwood kit fit on the back. Besides. The single piston calipers on the back don't do anything good for the car. Visually

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
The fronts do an OK job, there is still a bit of gap. But the rears are nothing but open air. I think I might be downsizing to 18s or maybe see about making a wilwood kit fit on the back. Besides. The single piston calipers on the back don't do anything good for the car. Visually
But bigger rear do nothing for the car. Functionally. Actually, if they weigh more they could reduce performance.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if it was the giant wheels of if it's the prototype brakes that are too small for the car. But they really look like the rears are like 10 or 11 inch rotors. Maybe the actual production cars will look a bit better.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't know if it was the giant wheels of if it's the prototype brakes that are too small for the car. But they really look like the rears are like 10 or 11 inch rotors. Maybe the actual production cars will look a bit better.
With ~70% of the braking done up front...why carry extra weight in the rear that isn't needed? I think 18s would look fine as well provided they clear the front brakes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reportedly some 18 will clear but we are going to have to watch the spoke design and look for wheels wth a 50mm offset. For example the ST 18" wheels won't clear. They have a 55 mm offset but it's reported the spokes rub the calipers.
I find this statement interesting as I ordered the winter package 18" wheels with my car. I'd be curious what the dif is.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
So then you mean we need <=50mm? My winter set is +38mm, that means it should fit right?

edit: I suppose I should mention that they are, of course, 18".

I bought a used set of these with a set of all seasons for $200 and I put Pilot Alpin PA3s on them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADR-Decadence-18X8-5X108-38mm-Gloss-Black-Wheel-Rim-/371382929267

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
19" Wheels:

Standard wheel: 19 x 8.0; 50mm offset

Option wheel: 19 x 8.0; 50mm offset (same design as standard wheel, different color)

Forged wheel: 19 x 8.0; 50mm offset

18" Wheel/ Winter Set Up:

18 x 7.5; 50mm offset

The ST wheels are a 55mm offset and reportedly (engineer at Ford tells me) that there is a clearance issue with the design of the wheels and calipers.

So, it's not a matter of offset alone but wheel design and clearance of the calipers.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
19" Wheels:

Option wheel: 19 x 8.0; 50mm offset (same design as standard wheel, different color)

18 x 7.5; 50mm offset

The ST wheels are a 55mm offset and reportedly (engineer at Ford tells me) that there is a clearance issue with the design of the wheels and calipers.

So, it's not a matter of offset alone but wheel design and clearance of the calipers.
Yeah I saw that from Loki on FocusST.org. Let me rephrase the question...

The lower the offset the less the chance of interference right? I made a picture in paintshop and I think I kind of answered my question...

In this the blue box would be the caliper.

·
Registered
716 Posts
19" Wheels:

18 x 7.5; 50mm offset

Are these numbers confirmed somewhere? If so, time to start wheel shopping :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
19" Wheels:

18 x 7.5; 50mm offset

If this info is accurate, seems like a 5mm spacer might allow the ST wheels to fit without issue.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Offset by itself means nothing. Spoke design will affect caliper clearance the most. 17x9 +45 wheels of the same model as the 17x9 +35 wheels on my BRZ with a BBK, the +45 fit fine, the +35 wouldn't fit because of the spoke curvature.

We can't say what will fit until the car is available for test fitting or for someone to make a template for others to print and use.

I am also interested in switching to 18s though, at least for track use. Cheaper tires... less weight...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
KingZee
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing