Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in KY where we can have some snowy winters. They can be at the very least below 45 degrees so I want to get a set of winter tires on my new RS. I have 19'' wheels on mine though so I was wondering if you have any recommendations. The threads I've seen on this subject tend to be for 18'' wheels. Price isn't too much of an issue. We're being provided by the dealership for them due to some previous inconveniences with them. Tirerack.com only had these as an option for my car, but I wanted to see if anyone had some personal experiences.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...ipOver=true&minSpeedRating=V&minLoadRating=XL

·
Registered
846 Posts
So I live in KY where we can have some snowy winters. They can be at the very least below 45 degrees so I want to get a set of winter tires on my new RS. I have 19'' wheels on mine though so I was wondering if you have any recommendations. The threads I've seen on this subject tend to be for 18'' wheels. Price isn't too much of an issue. We're being provided by the dealership for them due to some previous inconveniences with them. Tirerack.com only had these as an option for my car, but I wanted to see if anyone had some personal experiences.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...ipOver=true&minSpeedRating=V&minLoadRating=XL
You link didn't work but I assume it's for the pirelli sotozero 3s. I ordered them for 19s and will be using them in norther Indiana without fear. Getting them put on tomorrow.

I've used 19" performance snow tires on a diff car before and it was fine even in wider sizes (255/35/19 F and 275/35/19 R) and rwd.

If you alter size to 245/35/19 or 225/40/19 you get a few other options like the PA4s but I'd just go with the stock size and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the sottozero 3s. thanks for that! Ill probably do some more searching but its good to know you have experience with them and it was pretty good.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I would consider something smaller than a 19in wheel, here in the northeast we have pot hole season where roads actually try to swallow your car

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the car already has 19 in wheels. Im looking for tire recommendations for my wheels. I cant afford a whole new wheel set yet.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
As recommended in your other thread.

If Ford is willing to buy a set of winter tires for you, ask about having them do the OEM Winter set, Rims, tires, TMPS and all.

The reason being that Ford will be able to give you those and it costs them less in the end. So you can probably get an entire mounted, balanced, and warranty supported set.

For the unexplained mileage on your car I think it would be a fair request if they are already offering to buy you winter tires.

Reactions: alien_yet_familiar

·
Registered
742 Posts
the oem winter set will cost the dealer only a little more than the 19" snow tires. Better solution for all, IMO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill ask my dealer if we can get the winter set instead. Thanks for all the input guys! If they say no ill probably just make to make due with 19 in snow tires and save up for 18 in wheels next year.

·
Registered
846 Posts
the oem winter set will cost the dealer only a little more than the 19" snow tires. Better solution for all, IMO
The oem set is at least 2k from a private party. It'll be 2800 from dealer at best.

I guess that's only a "little" more than 1k for a set of 19" snows for some people. But not most.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The oem set is at least 2k from a private party. It'll be 2800 from dealer at best.

I guess that's only a "little" more than 1k for a set of 19" snows for some people. But not most.

Look into it a little more. Its a lot cheaper than that of you shop around

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
Either way I got my 19" pirelli sotozero 3 installed today. Thanks tire rack!

It's still 55 degrees here but nights are dropping to 35-40 and I don't want to get stuck in the freezing rain one day in the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
742 Posts
How much cheaper? Where to buy a set???

PART# GM5Z-1K007-A

Last time I looked they were around 1800-1900. Everything included.

·
Registered
846 Posts
PART# GM5Z-1K007-A

Last time I looked they were around 1800-1900. Everything included.
Plus 150 for tpms and then mounting is another 60 because they come unmounted.

Still almost 2k if everything is included.

It's significantly more than 1100 for 19 snows installed.

But I only advocate this if you are getting new summer wheels. If you are going to keep the oem wheels for summer then getting new winter wheels is best option.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

In this case, she is getting the tires as part of a compensation package due to un-documented mileage put on her brand new RS after the papers were all signed and the car bought.

So this is Ford saying we screwed up, we are sorry.

The reason I recommend the OEM package is that Ford's price will be straight cost, so much less than the $2k a regular person would pay when buying the with the Winter package option.

·
Registered
846 Posts
In this case, she is getting the tires as part of a compensation package due to un-documented mileage put on her brand new RS after the papers were all signed and the car bought.

So this is Ford saying we screwed up, we are sorry.

The reason I recommend the OEM package is that Ford's price will be straight cost, so much less than the $2k a regular person would pay when buying the with the Winter package option.
Ya if they can swing that then for sure go for it.

My guess is that ford will say tires only though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Plus 150 for tpms and then mounting is another 60 because they come unmounted.

Still almost 2k if everything is included.

It's significantly more than 1100 for 19 snows installed.

But I only advocate this if you are getting new summer wheels. If you are going to keep the oem wheels for summer then getting new winter wheels is best option.

tpms are included FWIW

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love my current wheels so im keeping those for at least summer use. I guess we will see what the dealership says when we ask for the winter wheel and tire set. Otherwise ill just have to go with the 19" winter wheels for now and upgrade later. Baby steps. We just bought winter tires for our wrx so we gotta take a sec and save up. Plus someone just keyed the **** out of our new wrx (we were not parked like ****s and it was at our home parking lot) so thats a new expense to correct. Gotta love people. Cant have anything nice

1 - 20 of 31 Posts