Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the Rota Grid in 18x9.5" +38.

Here it is on our Focus RS:

Suspension on this car is stock. Tires are 255/40R18 Continental Extreme Contact Sport. (Which is highly recommend, by the way.) That size is a tiny bit big -- 2% taller than stock. But I wanted to do the 255 width, and the choice was 2% taller or 2% shorter with the 255/35R18. I want to find where the limits are for stuff like this, so I went with the bigger one. I think a 245/40R18 (in the same Conti tire) would fit fine, and the 255/35R18 would probably fit, too. As it is the rear fender just slightly skims the sidewall of the tire on full compression. It's not a problem at all for daily driving, but for track/autocross use it would end up touching on a regular basis. Of course, if I had some adjustable suspension I could just camber the wheels in a smidge and everything would clear fine. But that's for another day...

Note that different tires -- even of the same nominal size -- can have different tread widths and different shoulder profiles, so your mileage may vary.

This wheel comes in several colors -- Hyper Black, Matte Black, Speed Bronze (shown here), Chameleon Chrome, and white. So far I don't stock a lot of the 5x108 fitment, but as we sell more I will stock more over time.

You can see pictures of the other colors over here on our product page. Pricing is also there. Shipping to the lower 48 states is free on orders over $249.

--Dan
Mach V
MachV.com

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
How would coilovers give you rear camber on this platform? Our springs and struts are separate. Even a spring over strut conversion like WL doesn't have camber adjustment in the rear. You'd have to swap arms..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts

Here it is on our Focus RS:

Suspension on this car is stock. Tires are 255/40R18 Continental Extreme Contact Sport. (Which is highly recommend, by the way.) That size is a tiny bit big -- 2% taller than stock. But I wanted to do the 255 width, and the choice was 2% taller or 2% shorter with the 255/35R18. I want to find where the limits are for stuff like this, so I went with the bigger one. I think a 245/40R18 (in the same Conti tire) would fit fine, and the 255/35R18 would probably fit, too. As it is the rear fender just slightly skims the sidewall of the tire on full compression. It's not a problem at all for daily driving, but for track/autocross use it would end up touching on a regular basis. Of course, if I had some adjustable suspension I could just camber the wheels in a smidge and everything would clear fine. But that's for another day...

Note that different tires -- even of the same nominal size -- can have different tread widths and different shoulder profiles, so your mileage may vary.

This wheel comes in several colors -- Hyper Black, Matte Black, Speed Bronze (shown here), Chameleon Chrome, and white. So far I don't stock a lot of the 5x108 fitment, but as we sell more I will stock more over time.

You can see pictures of the other colors over here on our product page. Pricing is also there. Shipping to the lower 48 states is free on orders over $249.

--Dan
Mach V
MachV.com

Hey thanks for posting - I was wondering what a 18x9.5 would look like - I was looking at Rota Strikes in Hyper Black. So there is no rub with these on the front? My 18x9 RPF1's with a 35 offset will just touch the front inside drivers side edge at full compression and it will carve out a piece of rubber the size of a needle the few times it has happened.

Assuming this should poke just a "tad" more.

IMG_8745.PNG

·
Supporting Vendor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for posting - I was wondering what a 18x9.5 would look like - I was looking at Rota Strikes in Hyper Black. So there is no rub with these on the front?
I did not experience any rubbing.

My 18x9 RPF1's with a 35 offset will just touch the front inside drivers side edge at full compression and it will carve out a piece of rubber the size of a needle the few times it has happened.
Just to be clear, your WHEELS aren't touching anything, your TIRES are, right?

Assuming this should poke just a "tad" more.
The 18x9.5" wheel is 1/2" (12.7mm) wider, so will stick out 6.4mm more, but the offset is +38, which is 3mm closer to the car, so the end result is it will "poke" out 3.4mm more than your wheels. But that's the wheel, not the tire. Tire is located by the wheel offset, so the same tire at +35mm (regardless of width) will be 3mm closer to the fender than at +38mm.

--Dan
Mach V

·
Registered
92 Posts
Love that Chameleon Chrome!! But I am a sucker for Bronze.

How long does it take to receive the wheel from the time I order?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did not experience any rubbing.

Just to be clear, your WHEELS aren't touching anything, your TIRES are, right?

The 18x9.5" wheel is 1/2" (12.7mm) wider, so will stick out 6.4mm more, but the offset is +38, which is 3mm closer to the car, so the end result is it will "poke" out 3.4mm more than your wheels. But that's the wheel, not the tire. Tire is located by the wheel offset, so the same tire at +35mm (regardless of width) will be 3mm closer to the fender than at +38mm.

--Dan
Mach V
Sorry - yes it's my drivers side tire only, not the wheel and I am running 245/40/18's Hankook RS3's. I can count on one hand how many times it has happened and the amount of tire "grazing" that occurs is microscopic.

I'm looking for a change of pace color/style and like the Rotas. I was really considering the TSW Bathurst until I saw your post - I like big/fat/squatty.

Snapseed.jpg

·
Registered
964 Posts

--Dan
Mach V
MachV.com
Sounds like you need to do a group buy!

·
Supporting Vendor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long does it take to receive the wheel from the time I order?
There's three possible answers. If it's in stock, it'll usually ship within one business day. If it's not in stock but is at the U.S. Rota warehouse, or is on its way to us, it'll usually ship within about three or four business days, give or take a couple. If it's out of stock both at our shop AND at the U.S. warehouse, we'll call you and discuss what other colors we might have, because we never know exactly what Rota is floating over by sea freight at any given time.

Sounds like you need to do a group buy!
It's our policy not to do group buys. Here's my reasoning:

Basically, it's very important to me to offer good customer service. Standard stuff -- prompt shipping, communication before and after ordering, having a real person answer the phone, having a real car that we can test parts on. That costs a certain amount of money. If I were to trim margins by offering parts at a group buy, I couldn't afford to offer that kind of service. From experience, when it is a group buy, people still WANT that kind of service, so even though the margins get thinner, the cost doesn't go down. So I just stick to a more straightforward model of getting parts in stock, and offering them for sale, and that works well for us, and our customers are very happy with our service.

--Dan
Mach V

·
Registered
92 Posts
There's three possible answers. If it's in stock, it'll usually ship within one business day. If it's not in stock but is at the U.S. Rota warehouse, or is on its way to us, it'll usually ship within about three or four business days, give or take a couple. If it's out of stock both at our shop AND at the U.S. warehouse, we'll call you and discuss what other colors we might have, because we never know exactly what Rota is floating over by sea freight at any given time.

It's our policy not to do group buys. Here's my reasoning:

Basically, it's very important to me to offer good customer service. Standard stuff -- prompt shipping, communication before and after ordering, having a real person answer the phone, having a real car that we can test parts on. That costs a certain amount of money. If I were to trim margins by offering parts at a group buy, I couldn't afford to offer that kind of service. From experience, when it is a group buy, people still WANT that kind of service, so even though the margins get thinner, the cost doesn't go down. So I just stick to a more straightforward model of getting parts in stock, and offering them for sale, and that works well for us, and our customers are very happy with our service.

--Dan
Mach V
Dan,
Can you please pm me the colors that are in stock with the exception of white(including US rota warehouse, if it is not too much trouble)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Do you think the 245's would still rub in the rear? Are coilovers the only option to fix the rubbing? I really like those rims, but can't have it rubbing.

·
Supporting Vendor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think the 245's would still rub in the rear?
On my car, if I had the same tire, but in a 245, it probably would not rub. But your mileage may vary, and different tires can be different widths.

Are coilovers the only option to fix the rubbing? I really like those rims, but can't have it rubbing.
No. As mentioned above, coilovers don't/can't change rear camber. Honestly, if you are paranoid about rubbing, I'd probably stick with something skinnier and closer to stock offset. Say, these 18x8.5" versions.

--Dan
Mach V

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry

are you going to sell your current set up? been wanting some RPF1's
I'm keeping those - just interested in a second fatter, darker wheel set. Sometimes you just need to roll with that Darth Vader look.

Are Grids all you will be working with or will Strikes be something you also have access to?

·
Registered
99 Posts
What does changing the offset from stock do to the life of wheel bearings, I am asking for specific RS experience if any not in general.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
What does changing the offset from stock do to the life of wheel bearings, I am asking for specific RS experience if any not in general.
Even being a 5x108, the rs uses ball bearings opposed to tapered rollers. Many other things can shorten the life of a wheel bearing, but just to daily an aggressive offset is not that big of a deal.

Dan, Rota can do custom offsets ya?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts