Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m in the market for new wheel/tire package for a mix of AutoX, Time Attack, and track driving till I figure what I enjoy the most in the RS. I found a 18x9 wheel I like but it has a 30mm offset and it seems most everything else I’ve seen has a 35 to 40mm offset. I will most likely be running a 255-35-18 RE71R on these wheels. For those with a similar setup but 5-10mm less offset do you have the room at the fender on stock suspension? If I rolled the fenders would I have enough room? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm no expert but have been going through a lot of old threads recently for fitment of 18x9.5s
People are claiming to run 265/35/18 et38 with no rubbing on stock suspension on 9.5s, et30 on a 9" only going to poke another mm or two VS the 9.5 et38, and with the 255 VS 265 I think you'd be OK on stock suspension without rolling, but maybe someone else can chime in here.
You be poking though

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am on stock suspension, 18x8 ET25 with 235/40s. They poke and you certianly will with 255s. I don't rub, but if you were to lower the car you most certainly would without adding more camber.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I run 18x8.5 et35 and 18x8.75 et35 both with 255/35r18, no rub on whiteline springs (including autocross). I think 18x9 et30 would be pushing it honestly

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run 18x8.5 et35 and 18x8.75 et35 both with 255/35r18, no rub on whiteline springs (including autocross). I think 18x9 et30 would be pushing it honestly
How much room do you have to the fender? I'm thinking it would fit but when running hard I'm concerned about rub with out adding more camber. I dont plan on changing up the suspension this summer either.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This wheel fitment thing is beaten to death and there's a new thread on it everyday. I autistically tried to help a number of other posters if you want to review my post history.

Here's all u gotta do..

Go outside with a metric ruler or tape measure and measure the distance to the fender lip from the face of the wheel rim. Then use any online wheel size calculator. I like willtheyfit.com

Every car is going to have an ideal offset, the center most point between the fender and the strut. On our cars it's somewhere between +40 and +45. Wheel size doesn't matter, it's tire width combined with offset. Yes, our options are limited. But you can definitely fit a 255 on an 8.5. look at the fifteen52 wheels designed for our cars. 8.5 +42. A 9J in this offset would be nice, but would likely still require at least 2 degrees of camber. Consider the inside of the fender is not flat, it's a radius. This means that even if a tire fits at the lip, any suspension compression will have the tire edge hitting inside the fender.

·
Registered
387 Posts
there are actually 2 benefits to a wider wheel though,

1. you can stretch a larger tire, you want some stretch to preload the sidewall for best handling
2. by stretching the tire onto a wider wheel, you change the shoulder shape of the tire, increasing your clearance to the inside of the fender.

dont be this guy.... i learned the hard way. i have made these 9 +35's fit, with lots of camber. going to try some 255/35's maybe down the road. currently on 235/40 and the pictures here are 255/40. the stance picture is after adding extreme camber, i was maxed out in the rear at -5 and still rubbed even though the tire tucked inside the fender lip.

IMG_20180218_213310.jpg

IMG_20180807_141514.jpg
IMG_20180807_141456.jpg

and heres where im at now. 235/40 and -3~. also much higher.
rsx2.jpg
IMG_20190424_143017.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you're going to be tracking the car, buy wheels that fit and are light. Titan7s and Enkeis tend to be the ones people gravitate to the most for track duty.

Why waste the extra money making a +30 fit when you can spend it on seat time instead?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what the biggest wheel and offset we can fit on the RS?
From looking around I've seen plenty of 9.5" wide wheels but again with backspacing that would set the wheel in farther than the 9" wide with +30 offset. I've been trying out all kinds of different sizes and offsets versus stock on a rim & tire size calculator but real world info is always the best. I'm not really looking for poke or crazy camber with the stock suspension setup just trying to take advantage of a wider wheel/tire for some fun on track. At this point I don't think I'll be getting the wheels I was looking at but if I do I'll post some pics and info on fitment and how things fit.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
I would just be interested on a simple bolt-on......

I already done the fender rolling, spacers and extended studs on my Evos in the past to make it fit:

I just want to know the most I can squeeze in w/o the mods I stated, just bolt-on.

·
Registered
387 Posts
9.5 is going to require excessive levels of fitment, it is the absolute max width. That equates to a 265 width tire. Both will require -3 degrees minimum camber which cannot be achieved with stock suspension. The answer to your question is complicated because you can fit a 9.5 +50 on stock suspension, only because the tire rides under the spring, not beside it. If you get coilovers, your wheels won't fit anymore. My advice is an 8.5 or 9 in +40 or +42. That way you can still buy coilovers and 255/265's later and run a 245 in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
I plan to keep my suspension stock.

I don't plan to monkey around with my camber other than the stock specs.

So, wheel size 19x9.5 +50 offset with 245x35x19 tyres?

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not mine, from Facebook:

View attachment 328166

View attachment 328168

18x9.5 ET42. ET50 will likely hit the strut.
LMAO that poke holy ****. Yeah, 9.5 stock suspension is dumb! Go buy some sick fifteen52's from mountune and forget about it

Now to give the OP an idea of what he's asking here, the pictured setup is the equivalent poke of a 9 +35. 9 +30 will poke even more lololo

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
10 Participants
Lumandris
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing