Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any idea what the 0 to 60 will be without launch control? Kind of makes me worry that we'll have to use launch control to have that adrenaline rush every time. I'm hoping that's not the case and that acceleration is similar without using launch control

1. I'm worried about long term damage caused by too much use of launch control
EDIT Feb 2nd, Ford mentioned that they are NOT limiting the total # of launches like Audi has done for some of their vehicles, this implies durability and that is good to hear.

2. Mustang owners might leave us in the dust if launch control isn't used every time.
Edit Feb 2nd: Based upon 0-60 and quarter mile times, the RS should be neck and neck with a new Mustang GT. Anyone have thoughts if I am accurate with this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can launch without launch control in any car, its just a matter of learning how to hold the throttle and engage the clutch for a takeoff that doesn't cause wheelspin/engage the ESC.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Does anyone have any idea what the 0 to 60 will be without launch control? Kind of makes me worry that we'll have to use launch control to have that adrenalin rush every time. I'm hoping that's not the case and that acceleration is similar without using launch control

1. I'm worried about long term damage caused by too much use of launch cintro

2. Mustang owners might leave us in the dust if launch control isn't used every time.
All the reviews so far say the RS has a ton of low-end torque and pulls strongly throughout the rev range. So it may be a few ticks slower but probably not noticeable in daily driving.

I'm a bit skeptical about long term damage as the RS's launch control is essentially dumping the clutch at full bore, which I avoid doing in my Mazda 3. But between that and the start-stop stall recovery feature, I'd say we're looking at a pretty tough and robust manual transmission/clutch in the RS but I still wouldn't launch it all the time.

As for racing Mustang owners......I don't think we have anything to fear unless they're driving a Hellcat, ZL1 or GT350. Even then the RS puts the power to the ground much quicker and more effectively so they'd have to be really skilled at launching to not fall behind the RS in wheelspin off the line. Once you get going even the GT 5.0 may be quicker in a straight line but the RS will shine again unless you're drag racing.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Not to mention that the RS is lighter than all of the aforementioned vehicles. By a wide margin for some.

Launch control is going to set a rev limiter which will allow you to keep WOT and spool the turbo better than you could without it. It's also the optimal engine speed for launches, which could easily prevent worse damage if you were to guess wrong while doing it yourself. Also it likely has a different programming for traction control and for the RDU to keep from cutting power and to keep the power going down properly. Meaning that it's doing a lot to make sure that the car accelerates as quickly as possible, none of which should do any more damage than if you were to try to launch the car yourself. Given that the only step to enabling launch control is selecting it from the menu, I really don't understand why one would try to go without it when the speed of their launch is a big concern. This really seems like a no-brainer to me.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I would think that a good driver would be able to rip a better 0-60 without LC. Ford most likely learned from Nissan and calibrated the LC conservatively to spare the drive train.
Probably yes at the expense of the clutch.:stupid: I think what @randman2011 said is more accurate "spool the turbo better than you could without it .." but perhaps Ford introduced launch control to be nice to the RS and not burn up clutches as fast. :saturn:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would think that a good driver would be able to rip a better 0-60 without LC. Ford most likely learned from Nissan and calibrated the LC conservatively to spare the drive train.
This is exactly my thought. I'm willing to bet that when LC is engaged, the ECU, PTU, & RDU are able to work together to modulate torque in order to reach a middle ground between launch performance and wear on the drivetrain.

Ford knows that people will want to get the most performance out of the RS. So if they tout LC, the majority of drivers will use LC to achieve quick times rather than destroy their clutches. However, to me (and probably to most people) it's a novelty that wears off after the first few tries. I can count on my fingers how many times I have used LC in my car and almost every time has been to show a friend. I really don't see myself launching the RS all that often.

I'm still wondering if Ford hid a LC use limit anywhere in the ECU. Audi makes no mention of it, but my car has a 200 use limit. After that LC is disabled. The only way to reenable it is to buy a new mechatronic unit or get an aftermarket transmission tune.

·
Registered
512 Posts
All I know is I probably won't do any full-dump clutch launches, with or without LC. I think it's cool that the car has it, and nice that Ford is confident their equipment can take the beating, but it really does make me a little anxious for the clutch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
All I know is I probably won't do any full-dump clutch launches, with or without LC. I think it's cool that the car has it, and nice that Ford is confident their equipment can take the beating, but it really does make me a little anxious for the clutch.
Awww come on, gotta feel that rush at least once!

I understand though. I just know my need for speed won't allow me to not feel the rush.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The LC is to make the average shmuck consistent launching the car. A better 0-60 time could be had by not using LC, but not by much. Launching is abusive, however I think ford has gone above and beyond I quality and testing these parts. Still I dont want to break nothing so my launching will be held to a minimum.

image.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
The biggest advantages of using LC over not is that LC tunes the rear dampers to sport and pre-engages the RDU for proper torque split. When not using LC, I would recommend being in Sport or Track settings because in Normal mode, you start off in FWD until the systems detects the front wheels slip, then engages the RDU, as well as having the rear dampers on soft, causing squat, which all add up to a slower 0-60 time. The rev limiter part of LC is easy to replicate.

I'll also probably only used it a few times to show off and if I ever take it to the drag strip, but that's it.

I'm still wondering if Ford hid a LC use limit anywhere in the ECU. Audi makes no mention of it, but my car has a 200 use limit. After that LC is disabled. The only way to reenable it is to buy a new mechatronic unit or get an aftermarket transmission tune.
Really? That's a huge let down for such premium performance car.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The biggest advantages of using LC over not is that LC tunes the rear dampers to sport and pre-engages the RDU for proper torque split. When not using LC, I would recommend being in Sport or Track settings because in Normal mode, you start off in FWD until the systems detects the front wheels slip, then engages the RDU, as well as having the rear dampers on soft, causing squat, which all add up to a slower 0-60 time. The rev limiter part of LC is easy to replicate.

I'll also probably only used it a few times to show off and if I ever take it to the drag strip, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp

I also agree that is very surprising, I'll probably launch 200 times within the first year. I'd be very upset if this was the same for the Focus RS. I'm buying the car to drive it to its limits, not to baby the clutch. I'll take full advantage of the warranty if I have to, hopefully the system is strong and won't require a new clutch after 1 year.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Why is squat bad for a launch? Don't you want that weight transfer even on an awd car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,582 Posts
I did ask this same q a whilst back.

Personally, a great driver without launch control will be able to get a better 0-62 as long as per typhoon5000 post you set to sports mode or track mode to get maximum traction from awd system.
Launch control will border on the most conservative mode to protect components. However a good hard clutch should be able to take some dump clutches once in blue moon.
I will try launch control and see how the clutch behaves. I think it will be more of a slip than dump (bite) .

Also curious to the journalists ( will ask auto Alex) does in launch control the car reach 62mph (100km/h) at the top of 2nd gear or do you need to engage 3rd? Not many reviews if any have discussed this very important fact.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I did ask this same q a whilst back.

Also curious to the journalists ( will ask auto Alex) does in launch control the car reach 62mph (100km/h) at the top of 2nd gear or do you need to engage 3rd? Not many reviews if any have discussed this very important fact.
I also want to know if it hits 62 MPH at the top of 2nd gear or if 3rd gear is required

EDIT: Based on this video, I am confident it hits 62 MPH in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I got bored over the weekend and made a spreadsheet for that exact purpose.

Tire Size 235/35/19
Tire Diameter 25.5 in
Tire Circumference 80.11061267 in

Speed at:
Gear Ratio Final Drive 2000 3000 6800
1 3.23 4.063 11.56130307 17.3419546 39.30843043
2 1.95 4.063 19.15026098 28.72539147 65.11088733
3 1.32 4.063 28.29015827 42.4352374 96.1865381
4 1.03 4.063 36.25534846 54.38302268 123.2681848
5 1.13 2.955 45.43810407 68.1571561 154.4895538
6 0.94 2.955 54.6224017 81.93360255 185.7161658
R 4.6 2.955 11.16196904 16.74295356 37.95069475

That looked way better as a draft. I'll fix the formatting when I get back from work today.

Too lazy to format a table. Here's a screencap.
FocusRSSpeedPerGear.PNG

·
5,582 Posts
I also want to know if it hits 62 MPH at the top of 2nd gear or if 3rd gear is required

EDIT: Based on this video, I am confident it hits 62 MPH in 2nd gear.
Based on theory and gear ratios there was a thread that showed that yes exceeding the redline should get you to 62 at top of second gear.
I have asked alex. When I get response I will post.
:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts