Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice they changed the unveal video just a bit?

It used to state peak power at 6800…

Now it states at 6000 peak power. I hope it still makes decent power to redline.

Powerband was my last big question mark.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Now that I have watched this video about 100 times, I wonder if anyone else noticed how much gas the car burns during a launch?
when the driver selects launch mode the fuel tank is full but by the time he drops the clutch its almost empty!
no way am I going to buy a car that has such poor MPG!!

Anyone else notice they changed the unveal video just a bit?

It used to state peak power at 6800…

Now it states at 6000 peak power. I hope it still makes decent power to redline.

Powerband was my last big question mark.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Now that I have watched this video about 100 times, I wonder if anyone else noticed how much gas the car burns during a launch?
when the driver selects launch mode the fuel tank is full but by the time he drops the clutch its almost empty!
no way am I going to buy a car that has such poor MPG!!
And I thought my SRT-4 was bad!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I always thought the 6,800rpm video was a typo considering the shift indicator light comes on at 5,900rpm. This is supposed to be the perfect time to shift for the best performance.

·
Registered
325 Posts
They probably emptied the tank for the run. 75 less pounds of weight ;) Also the i is for information. My Nissan Rogue does the same thing whenever something shows up on the diagnostic screen. Something like low fuel and traction settings off...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The short shifting at 5900 worries me. Hopefully it is more of a gradual decline in HP from 6-6.8K, and not a replica of the Mazdaspeed3.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Ford just didn't add enough hysteresis in the fuel level circuitry and the fuel moving during launch allows the sensor to read very low even if it read full before hand, and if this was a pre-production car, this would make sense.

If you ever ride in an older vehicle, you can watch the gas needle move around when the fuel sloshes around. In modern cars, OEM's were able to build hysteresis into the circuitry and avoid that annoyance.

What are the differences in the videos? I can't watch them where I am at currently.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ford just didn't add enough hysteresis in the fuel level circuitry and the fuel moving during launch allows the sensor to read very low even if it read full before hand, and if this was a pre-production car, this would make sense.

If you ever ride in an older vehicle, you can watch the gas needle move around when the fuel sloshes around. In modern cars, OEM's were able to build hysteresis into the circuitry and avoid that annoyance.

What are the differences in the videos? I can't watch them where I am at currently.
Or it's just two different video clips stitched together :rolleyes: Obviously they'll do an acceleration test with minimal fuel

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
That's a point too. Why the roll eyes?

Or it's just two different video clips stitched together :rolleyes: Obviously they'll do an acceleration test with minimal fuel

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
With the Launch Control, assuming it's the same as the Mustang, do you just dump the clutch once the RPMs are held? Is there a flow control valve for the clutch fluid so that you can dump the clutch and it will control flow to act like you have the perfect release?

Also, anyone know if the ECU/TCU restricts how many times LC can be used to protect drivetrain components? For example, even on the dual clutch gearbox in my current daily, launch control is limited to 200 uses. To go beyond that I have to get the limit removed thus voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
716 Posts
With the Launch Control, assuming it's the same as the Mustang, do you just dump the clutch once the RPMs are held? Is there a flow control valve for the clutch fluid so that you can dump the clutch and it will control flow to act like you have the perfect release?

Also, anyone know if the ECU/TCU restricts how many times LC can be used to protect drivetrain components? For example, even on the dual clutch gearbox in my current daily, launch control is limited to 200 uses. To go beyond that I have to get the limit removed thus voiding the warranty.
I've been wondering this as well. LC is hard on a vehicle and the RS being one of the most "budget" vehicles I can think of that come with LC, I would be surprised if there was not some stipulation associated with using it. Same can be said for the drift mode. I'm really curious if the second you use either feature, Ford voids your warranty.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been wondering this as well. LC is hard on a vehicle and the RS being one of the most "budget" vehicles I can think of that come with LC, I would be surprised if there was not some stipulation associated with using it. Same can be said for the drift mode. I'm really curious if the second you use either feature, Ford voids your warranty.
I doubt it, remember ford also puts a line lock on their mustangs. How cool is that?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I can almost guarantee they are not going to have a modulated clutch release, there are way way way too many chances for a warranty clutch claim with that.

I think they are counting on the drivetrain holding the torque of the factory configuration and basically making it like a 2 step, but having the drivetrain electronics distribute torque to the wheels that have the most grip as it monitors all of its sensors.

That 200 thing is lame as hell, I hope that doesn't happen (don't give Ford any bad ideas :) )

Here is what Ford says about the launch control

Ford MoCo said:
Focus RS launch control configures the car’s chassis and powertrain systems to deliver the fastest possible acceleration — in various track conditions. The driver selects launch control from the cluster menu, engages first gear, applies full throttle and releases the clutch. The system then delivers optimum drive — including distributing torque through the all-wheel-drive system, maintaining maximum torque using the turbo overboost function, managing traction control and setting the dampers.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would assume there is a delay valve on the hydraulic line for the clutch, but that would apply always and not only for launches. This is also part of what was changed on the ST for the motor mount TSB. It can be easily gutted if you want a faster release.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
lstupar87
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing