AWD technics, is the real all wheel drive ??? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

AWD technics, is the real all wheel drive ???

This is a discussion on AWD technics, is the real all wheel drive ??? within the Focus RS Discussions forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; Originally Posted by RyguyC Do you? lol the more you can bias the power distribution to the rear, the less understeer you're going to have. ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: AWD technics, is the real all wheel drive ???

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyguyC View Post
    Do you? lol the more you can bias the power distribution to the rear, the less understeer you're going to have.
    Correct? So why wouldn't this help with under steer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AWD technics, is the real all wheel drive ???

The system is engaged once steering input is received. While it may be front biased it will still be a million times better than a front wheel drive only vehicle.

Also dependent on throttle and such. So launching will be like launching an awd vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Memphis; 10-14-2015 at 10:22 PM.

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why wouldnt what help? I think we're talking about different things lol. I'm talking about the car being front biased, versus the 50/50 split WRX for example. If however the rear wheels kick in quickly enough then yes it will be much better than FWD of course. I wish there were more details released about under what conditions exactly the car sends 70% to the rear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1151 times
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I still think that once the formula for how they calculated the up to 70% to the rear claim some people will be disappointed. My guess is still that it takes a spinning front wheel that they don't use the brake based eLSD on to compute the "to the ground" power from front. But that said the understeer while on the gas should be minimal with the rear RDU directing power to the outer rear wheel to push it around the car.
    Last edited by ControlNode; 10-15-2015 at 07:50 AM.
    Memphis, Yifuqiao and KingZee like this.
    2016 NB RS1 Forged w/ Cup 2s and Winter W&T Package

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wish there were more details released about under what conditions exactly the car sends 70% to the rear.
    Try asking here. Also, from what I gather, even though it's not what I'd like on the same basis you mention, EVERYONE (including a heaping helping of Subaru owners) are loving the possibilities of this including its AWD because it is more advanced and will work quickly enough so that any bias to it being FWD won't even be noticeable.

Mike K
    Ca kleStack likes this.

gte
    Member #
    Liked
    1330 times
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    edited for accuracy until truth is revealed as company engineer and companies president of program management are saying opposing things
    Last edited by gte; 10-16-2015 at 06:34 AM.
    2016 Focus RS (first in MD and one of the first 50) 11.93 @ 116mph on street tires, 450whp/478wtq
    2012 Nissan GTR BL1400
    Corolla XRS turbo

Member #
    Liked
    910 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I don't know if it'll help with understeer - usually FWD cars have the worst understeer, lord knows the ST is pretty bad. I think probably it's simply due to mechanical restrictions, or in other words: it's cheaper lol.
    I don't mean to be impolite but if you think the ST has an understeer problem you need to go to driving school. Never have I once encountered a situation when driving my ST that it defaulted to understeer. I do have a Steeda RSB but have driven many in stock form and can say the same. The back end is always willing to come out and play especially while trail braking. I guarantee you that the FoST and FiST understeer way less then any Golf R. I will also say after driving a WRX and a some what prepped FiST for rally, that the FiST was the better handling car even on dirt, it was also faster and I could dance the ass end on that Fiesta with more control and finesse then the WRX.
    KingZee likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1151 times
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gte View Post
    It is exactly as I've explained it.

The rear cannot get more than 50% of the available torque, no matter what Ford marketing says.
    The to the ground is not as you described it. The propeller shaft turning or not has very little to do with the front/rear split to the ground. If the rear clutches are both open the car is 100/0 split to the ground. If either rear clutch is 100% closed (assuming they can grab a variable percentages) then yes split will be close to 50/50. Remember if you apply force capable of 500 lb ft but the resistance to that torque is only 150 lb ft you have only effectively applied 150 lb ft. So, if a spinning tire has less resistance than a gripping tire to the torque applied to it..... you get marketing.
    2016 NB RS1 Forged w/ Cup 2s and Winter W&T Package

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlNode View Post
    The to the ground is not as you described it. The propeller shaft turning or not has very little to do with the front/rear split to the ground. If the rear clutches are both open the car is 100/0 split to the ground. If either rear clutch is 100% closed (assuming they can grab a variable percentages) then yes split will be close to 50/50. Remember if you apply force capable of 500 lb ft but the resistance to that torque is only 150 lb ft you have only effectively applied 150 lb ft. So, if a spinning tire has less resistance than a gripping tire to the torque applied to it..... you get marketing.
    Hey, you should go through this thread: AWD Questions

Scooby921 actually has worked on the RS AWD system and is responsible for tuning it. This is where gte is getting a lot of his info from.

Member #
    Liked
    926 times
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    sadly that thread and scoobys input only leads to more questions!
    but if ya havent followed it, read it
    dontfeedthenerd and Memphis like this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors