Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Steering wheel peeling leather?

32K views 70 replies 39 participants last post by  Moxman 
#1 ·
Is anyone else having issues with this?

I noticed it today, what I thought was somehow a glob of dirt or something turned out to be that the perforated leather is now peeling around the perforated holes. You can see the start of more spots on the upper portion of the wheel, but the main portion which is usually were the palm of hand sits has got a dime size patch missing.

For those who will pop up and tell me its the rings I wear, I'm not married, I wear no rings, nor do I wear any gloves that have a rough or abrasive surface. This is not the result of a scratch. If it was, it wouldn't be starting like it is in multiple spots.

I drove my Focus ST for 3 years and the wear and tear on that wheel was expected (the leather was a bit shinier in the high wear spots, but no signs of peeling)

I plan to let my dealer know about this when I bring it in. I use a leather cleaner about once a season, and I use some protectant once a month, the same schedule I kept with my ST.

See less See more
#4 ·
Mine did this yesterday, same spot. Delivered June 17, 2016 and just over 18,000 miles. Odd part is, that is not the area I normally hold. I planning to take it to the dealer Saturday morning and see if a warranty claim can be put in.

#5 ·
That ain't right. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know Bill; but leather, unlike polymer, is not very uniform. You could have just gotten a weak piece. I'd be upset with that, and expect Ford to make it right. If it were me me, I might forget that I used any products on it.

#22 ·
In the same spot as well?

The "leather" used on these wheels may not be full natural leather, rather "bonded" or "split" leather....in the former, very thin real leather is bonded to a latex or PU substrate....there is a lot of this around these days....
Even so, for it to breakup like this there must have been a bonding issue between the layers.

#18 ·
Looks like top coat peel to me. Definitely see what your dealer thinks about it.

#21 ·
The "leather" used on these wheels may not be full natural leather, rather "bonded" or "split" leather....in the former, very thin real leather is bonded to a latex or PU substrate....there is a lot of this around these days....

Reactions: fourZero
#29 ·
Are these all left hand drive cars?

I notice I often use the wheel right about there when prying myself out of the seat.

Reactions: pasque and RocketRS
#30 ·
What the shmut?! Wow, I would expect that after maybe 7 - 8 years.

ControlNode said:
Picture of mine.

#34 · (Edited)
I have seen sweaty hands have this affect on steering wheels. No lotion of any sort and no jewelry. My son has this issue with clammy hands and managed to further damage my Syclones steering wheel in a similar fashion.

He did the same thing to our Toyota sequoias steering wheel as well. The Syclone had more of the pitting type damage as it is a cheaper composite leather found on a lot of GM vehicles. The sequoia has a better quality leather covered wheel and he managed to wear the color off of it in a couple of spots. Moral of the story, don't let your sweaty handed son drive your RS!!

All joking aside though I am super careful not to ever drive any of my cars with damp, sweaty hands for fear of this exact thing. That's why I use my old outback xt for all of my mountain biking and sporting activities. That old momo wheel seems impervious to everything. At any rate it's good to know this can be an issue with this wheel and I will be keeping a close eye on it.

#36 ·
Since the first week I have owned this car, I have driven with a pair of these https://t.harborfreight.com/5-pair-brown-jersey-gloves-66289.html . I did this in my last Evo and the wheel stayed pristine. I know this sounds dorky or really odd to some, but I have very clammy/oily hands. Some of the looks I get from people that see me driving in them during the summer are classic, but this is the exact problem I don't want creeping up on me 3-4 years from now.

#38 ·
Since the first week I have owned this car, I have driven with a pair of these https://t.harborfreight.com/5-pair-brown-jersey-gloves-66289.html . I did this in my last Evo and the wheel stayed pristine. I know this sounds dorky or really odd to some, but I have very clammy/oily hands. Some of the looks I get from people that see me driving in them during the summer are classic, but this is the exact problem I don't want creeping up on me 3-4 years from now.
Dude, you've got to get a Members Only jacket and a pair of Aviators.
And this is the most important, Favre. When it comes down to people checking you out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.

#42 ·
Odd that that part shows it also fits the SE, Titanium and such that didn't have flat bottom and it's heated. What about RS1 without heat?

#45 ·
I just got a call today, new wheel is at the dealer for warranty replacement. Was told it took a while to get one that is why it has been such a long wait.

#47 · (Edited)
I still contend that I was easy on the first wheel. Never should the outer leather or the adhesive between the layers be so delicate on the wheel of a car. But for added insurance this time around I've bought driving gloves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.