"Drive Mode Selection Not Available" Error? - Page 59
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

"Drive Mode Selection Not Available" Error?

This is a discussion on "Drive Mode Selection Not Available" Error? within the Focus RS Discussions forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; Originally Posted by fiST2RS Hey guys, haven't posted for a while. My 2017 Nitrous Blue RS has 7700 miles. Had the first oil change at ...

Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: "Drive Mode Selection Not Available" Error?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2744 times
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fiST2RS View Post
    Hey guys, haven't posted for a while.

My 2017 Nitrous Blue RS has 7700 miles. Had the first oil change at about 7k, car is stock other than an MBRP catback exhaust, which comes with the plug to "fool" the computer into thinking that the factory exhaust flap is plugged in.

No problems since installing the exhaust 6 months ago.

Then since last week, get the "drive mode selection not available" message every time I drive.

Tried unplugging and cleaning (it wasn't even dirty), then replugging the MBRP plug.

No change.

Yesterday I unplugged the MBRP plug, and plugged in the factory piece (I had saved it when exhaust was swapped - don't ask me why, just thought I might need it). Zip tied it up out of the way. No error message driving 20 miles to work this morning!

So I thought the MBRP plug must be bad.

Not so fast, Kemosabe.

When I got in my car after work, immediately got the dreaded error message.

After getting home I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, thinking maybe the ECU needed a reset.

After reconnecting and starting, got the error message.

Will probably take the car in this week (one of the headlights is also out, that should be covered under warranty, right?) and leave it at the dealership to sort it out.

Because it seems most of the posts on this thread concern the exhaust flap, I'm worried the dealer will simply blame it on my exhaust, and not attempt to fix the problem.

Are there any other COMMON causes, or does Ford have a bulletin out on this so the dealer will see it?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Try a new valve delete plug.
    Sometimes, the resistance fades with time causing the motor and ecu not to detetc it.
    Try measuring it with a multimeter on ohms.
    Good luck.
    2016 FOCUS RS
    Forged 19" Cup 2's
    Built 1.9.16

Delivered 8.11.16
    HG Rev C 11.10.18
    Tyrone Johnson on German rivals:
    "Boring.. Understeer"

Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works. --Carl Sagan

Hidden Content

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiST2RS View Post
    Hey guys, haven't posted for a while.

My 2017 Nitrous Blue RS has 7700 miles. Had the first oil change at about 7k, car is stock other than an MBRP catback exhaust, which comes with the plug to "fool" the computer into thinking that the factory exhaust flap is plugged in.

No problems since installing the exhaust 6 months ago.

Then since last week, get the "drive mode selection not available" message every time I drive.

Tried unplugging and cleaning (it wasn't even dirty), then replugging the MBRP plug.

No change.

Yesterday I unplugged the MBRP plug, and plugged in the factory piece (I had saved it when exhaust was swapped - don't ask me why, just thought I might need it). Zip tied it up out of the way. No error message driving 20 miles to work this morning!

So I thought the MBRP plug must be bad.

Not so fast, Kemosabe.

When I got in my car after work, immediately got the dreaded error message.

After getting home I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, thinking maybe the ECU needed a reset.

After reconnecting and starting, got the error message.

Will probably take the car in this week (one of the headlights is also out, that should be covered under warranty, right?) and leave it at the dealership to sort it out.

Because it seems most of the posts on this thread concern the exhaust flap, I'm worried the dealer will simply blame it on my exhaust, and not attempt to fix the problem.

Are there any other COMMON causes, or does Ford have a bulletin out on this so the dealer will see it?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Sometimes, the resistance fades with time causing the motor and ecu not to detetc it.
    Good luck.
    If you have the forscan tool, you can out right disable it, and you'll not need the plug, but idont remember where it is at in the system. I believe it was body control. Check out the forscan mod page in the electronic archives

Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This "drive-mode-selection-not-available" message happened in my car on the way home tonight. Was sitting at a light and the message popped up and I was kicked out of Sport mode. What the heck!? Tried to re-engage and it would not. Found this thread and noted all the cases involving the stuck valve on the muffler. In my case the valve was stuck in the open position (temperature is 60F). At home i disconnected and reconnected the wires to the valve repeatedly to remove any oxidation and sprayed the valve pivot with PB Blaster. Worked the valve back-and-forth and finally it would shut in Normal mode. Started the engine, switched to Sport and it stayed engaged. Thanks for this thread guys! Will see how it works tomorrow and report back if I have more trouble.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    If you have the forscan tool, you can out right disable it, and you'll not need the plug, but idont remember where it is at in the system. I believe it was body control. Check out the forscan mod page in the electronic archives

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

I still had the stock piece that moved the valve on the factory muffler, so I unplugged the MBRP plug, and plugged the factory plug back in. Started the car and the error message did NOT come on - I thought that I was good to go - so I just zip tied the factory part up in place, and was gonna contact MBRP for a new resistor plug from them.

Drove to work 25 miles the next morning, no problems.

Got in my car after work..... and the dreaded error message had returned.

Dropped it off with my local dealer last Wednesday, and just picked it up today.

It was the TSB mentioned somewhere else on this site - I told my service advisor about it, but they putzed around last week checking the tranny, among other things, before a more senior tech got to it today and reflashed the ECU, and everything seems to be good!

RS Noob
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got errors including: ABS light, TC light, No Driver mode select, AWD off, Hill start Assist Not available, while on a cross country trip over this last weekend right as I was driving through a blizzard in No Indiana. I just got a call back from the dealership that I had a loose bolt that holds my axel in place and this coming loose caused all the problems. They said that when they took the tire off it almost fell out. I'll update with more info after I pick the car up tomorrow once they give me more details.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had this error message pop up on me on my drive home after purchase. I bought from a Chevy dealership so I figured I’d take it to ford ASAP once I got home. At this point I figured I made a huge mistake. Awd off, hill assist unavailable, etc. My dash looked like a Christmas tree and I was freaking out.

Ford just called me and stated that there was a loose bolt near the left side of my axle that was causing the problems. They said they put it back together and checked the right side to find a less extreme but similar problem. I will update soonish with what exactly was done after I confirm the problem was fixed.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent RSealth View Post
    I got errors including: ABS light, TC light, No Driver mode select, AWD off, Hill start Assist Not available, while on a cross country trip over this last weekend right as I was driving through a blizzard in No Indiana. I just got a call back from the dealership that I had a loose bolt that holds my axel in place and this coming loose caused all the problems. They said that when they took the tire off it almost fell out. I'll update with more info after I pick the car up tomorrow once they give me more details.
    Please forgive my first account attempt. Spelling is hard.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentRs View Post
    I had this error message pop up on me on my drive home after purchase. I bought from a Chevy dealership so I figured I’d take it to ford ASAP once I got home. At this point I figured I made a huge mistake. Awd off, hill assist unavailable, etc. My dash looked like a Christmas tree and I was freaking out.

Ford just called me and stated that there was a loose bolt near the left side of my axle that was causing the problems. They said they put it back together and checked the right side to find a less extreme but similar problem. I will update soonish with what exactly was done after I confirm the problem was fixed.
    The invoice i got back from the dealer states this.

"20877 Rear Axle bolts came loose, C0036 Test drove verified concern. Pulled codes had c0036. Checked oasis no concerns found. Inspected tone ring, tone ring okay. Removed left rear wheel and found bolt had come loose and came out of axle. Applied new thread lock and torque bolt back to spec. Removed right rear wheel found bolt also loose but had not come out all the way. Removed applied new thread lock and torque to spec. Cleared codes and test drove. All okay after repairs."

Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors