Undercarriage Rust - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Undercarriage Rust

This is a discussion on Undercarriage Rust within the Focus RS Discussions forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; Originally Posted by cornerexit Why aren't you applying CRC every couple of years? Salt/snow ie Northern US states, you need to coat the undercarriage for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Undercarriage Rust

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerexit View Post
    Why aren't you applying CRC every couple of years? Salt/snow ie Northern US states, you need to coat the undercarriage for rust reasons. Same for anyone that lives next to salt water. CRC isn't expensive. You just need a lift or a couple of jacks to slide underneath it and coat all metal parts. CRC can be bought on Amazon for cheap, and you can apply yourself. it just needs a little time to dry.
    Which CRC product do recommend? I see CRC 06026 spray but also 3-36 which is a gallon jug. I'm not sure if the 06026 is the same as 3-36 or not.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1847 times
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by focus_pocus View Post
    which crc product do recommend? I see crc 06026 spray but also 3-36 which is a gallon jug. I'm not sure if the 06026 is the same as 3-36 or not.

Sent from my moto z (2) using tapatalk
    crc 6-56

Focus_Pocus likes this.
    Don't worry, scrote. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick-ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Amsoil HDMP here.
    '17 SG RS2

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1847 times
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra90gt View Post
    Amsoil HDMP here.
    https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...tal-protector/

Great option!
    Don't worry, scrote. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick-ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Fluid Film works great as well. We swear by it (Industrial Tradesmen) and Krown at work. Krown is a great penetrating oil and Fluid Film is a great heavy preservative oil.

Another great penetrating oil in general is AeroKroil. That stuff gets into the finest of clearances.

I'll be touching up the paint chips on the wheel arches tomorrow then applying the trim the next day.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-TP..._1560475334747

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerexit View Post
    crc 6-56
    Thank you!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stvjeep View Post
    I'm on my 7 day 12 hour work rotation so I plan on the paint touch up and trim install on my days off, if the weather cooperates.

I'm not too worried about how it looks as the alternative is touch up after touch up or even large flakes coming off. My wife had a focus a few years ago. Same chips happened and I didn't notice until a large chunk of paint literally blew off when washing it.... NOT happening to the RS.

I will post pics to this thread for sure!
    @stvjeep did you get a chance to install the fender edge trim? If so can you share some pictures of the final install and any commenta about the process.

I just got some trim-gard edge trim in the mail today (50ft roll) and plan on doing the same when I have some time in prevision for next winter.

Tested it with a small piece and it should cover the edge as intended and hopefully avoid paint flaking again like it did for the past 2 winters. Wondering if I should do the front fender edge too to match the rear and protect those also.

This was the one I found that had the smallest bonding flange (the one that will show) vs a long enough return flange to protect the fender edge.

This is the one I got from ebay, P/N from trim-gard is RRT32-02-50:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/15-32-quot-x...app-cvip-panel

Also available from other sites, here’s their catalogue:
    http://www.trim-gard.com/images/PDF/...ure(print).pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Barroux; 07-05-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    @Barroux I did not! I've been quite busy and the weather has been rainy whenever I do get a chance. I will absolutely post pics when I'm done.

As for the process there's not much to it. Dress and touch up the chips so there will be no rust, wait 24 hours for it to dry and then put the wheel arch edge guards on.

I think I'm only going to do the metal sections and not the plastic bumper sections. Also I have paint protection film on the whole front of the car and it wraps around the front wheel arch edges... so no chips on the front. I will most likely just do the rear wheel wells, depending on how it looks.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stvjeep View Post
    @Barroux I did not! I've been quite busy and the weather has been rainy whenever I do get a chance. I will absolutely post pics when I'm done.

As for the process there's not much to it. Dress and touch up the chips so there will be no rust, wait 24 hours for it to dry and then put the wheel arch edge guards on.

I think I'm only going to do the metal sections and not the plastic bumper sections. Also I have paint protection film on the whole front of the car and it wraps around the front wheel arch edges... so no chips on the front. I will most likely just do the rear wheel wells, depending on how it looks.
    Cool thanks for the update! My ppf does not wrap around the edge so maybe I’ll do the front too! Was also thinking of doing just the metal sections, unless it looks better actually doing the whole fender edge. Will have to test it before I cut the pieces! Install should be easy!

I’ll also post pics when I’m done, hoping to do it two week-ends from now, already made plans until then, then I’ll put the summer wheels and tires back on with the st suspension spacers once this is completed.

And as posted above by other members, I enjoy the RS most in two circumstances: snowfalls and track days!

I’ll drive this car every winter I can until it either dies from age or rust or I’m lucky enough to afford another great winter car and park this one for winter to have it last a little longer! Or maybe buy an electric car to use most of the time and take the RS out on snowdays only! Planning on building a new house next year where I will have room for another car! Just trying to prevent further damage as much as I can, along with Krown rustproofing each year.

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is there any issue with getting the CRC or Amsoil under coating products on plastic or the under tray? I assume you reapply every year?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors