Post head gasket install review and other issues thread - Page 92
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Post head gasket install review and other issues thread

This is a discussion on Post head gasket install review and other issues thread within the Focus RS Discussions forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; Guess I should chime in here. Nearly 33k miles on the car right now. Recall was performed last year (February?) at probably near 20k miles. ...

Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 LastLast
Like Tree944Likes

Thread: Post head gasket install review and other issues thread

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Guess I should chime in here. Nearly 33k miles on the car right now. Recall was performed last year (February?) at probably near 20k miles. It passed the pressure test and they only replaced the gasket.

Nearly two weeks ago I was met with some misfire on a cold start. Hit or mess whether it would happen each time, but now it is consistent. Just enough white smoke on startup to tell it isn't condensation and coolant level has begun to drop. I'll be taking it in to the dealership tomorrow if possible. Seems pretty clear that the HG has failed.
    2017 SG RS2
    Order Placed: 9/21/16
    Built 11/21/16
    Boarding the Talia on 12/23/16
    Scheduled to arrive in NY on 01/13/16

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2706 times
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    Guess I should chime in here. Nearly 33k miles on the car right now. Recall was performed last year (February?) at probably near 20k miles. It passed the pressure test and they only replaced the gasket.

Nearly two weeks ago I was met with some misfire on a cold start. Hit or mess whether it would happen each time, but now it is consistent. Just enough white smoke on startup to tell it isn't condensation and coolant level has begun to drop. I'll be taking it in to the dealership tomorrow if possible. Seems pretty clear that the HG has failed.
    That's a rarity more mechanic failure during install.
    Keen to hear what they say.
    2016 FOCUS RS
    Forged 19" Cup 2's
    Built 1.9.16

Delivered 8.11.16
    HG Rev C 11.10.18
    Tyrone Johnson on German rivals:
    "Boring.. Understeer"

Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works. --Carl Sagan

Hidden Content

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Is the dealership supposed to replace the spark plugs when they change a head, head gasket?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootin View Post
    Is the dealership supposed to replace the spark plugs when they change a head, head gasket?
    I dont believe there is a requirement to. If you pull the plugs at the start of the job and put them aside so they dont get contaminated by the cleaning and general processes then they will of course be fine. Trouble is they never seem to so the plugs and injectors are subjected to all manner of stuff during the process. Plenty have needed replacement injectors post HG change as well.

Ciao
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

Member #
    Liked
    1793 times
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky phil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootin View Post
    I dont believe there is a requirement to. If you pull the plugs at the start of the job and put them aside so they dont get contaminated by the cleaning and general processes then they will of course be fine. Trouble is they never seem to so the plugs and injectors are subjected to all manner of stuff during the process. Plenty have needed replacement injectors post HG change as well.

Ciao
    my opinion on that is if the car was burning coolant the plugs should be replaced anyways.
    -Bill

1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA | Arctic White | Born 11/17/1988 | Supercalafragalisticheadscamalidocious
    2017 Ford Focus RS | Frozen White | RS2 |RS# 4266 | Born 6/4/2017 | Purchased 4/21/2018
    2016 Ford Focus RS | Stealth Grey | RS2 |RS# 4993 | Ordered 10/12/2015 | Born 5/11/2016 | Received 7/9/2016 | Death 4/16/2018 Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdgen89gta View Post
    my opinion on that is if the car was burning coolant the plugs should be replaced anyways.
    I would agree with that.

Ciao
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The plugs in 2 and 3 both show signs of carbon tracking and contamination but were not replaced. Car got progressively rougher when cold and developed intermittent rough running. Replacement with Denso ITV22's solved the problem. The new plugs read correctly as to heat range and lack of detonation. No new signs of cylinder contamination are present. Car goes in Tuesday for front cover oil leak and I will be taking the issue up with the shop manager. Hope he knows as much as he professes about tuning as I was tuning race engines before he was born! I just find using a computer more convenient than rejetting Holleys, Webers and SU's. FYI my car has never been tuned since it's my daily driver and I have other toys to play with.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    You can add me to the list of dead after HG install. Had it done last summer at about 22k. Noticed loss in power from day one. Started getting misfires under wot in 3rd and up at 25k. Started losing coolant at 30k took it to the dealer last week. They called today, hairline crack in the block. Ford denied. Tune+ with mild 93 tune. Car had zero issues prior to getting HG done. Not sure what I can do at this point besides eat the loss.
    16 SG-RS1
    17 MG-FiST

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    357 times
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    You can add me to the list of dead after HG install. Had it done last summer at about 22k. Noticed loss in power from day one. Started getting misfires under wot in 3rd and up at 25k. Started losing coolant at 30k took it to the dealer last week. They called today, hairline crack in the block. Ford denied. Tune+ with mild 93 tune. Car had zero issues prior to getting HG done. Not sure what I can do at this point besides eat the loss.
    This makes me never second guess going with Mountune on everything from the start. I had the same thing happen to me. HG went, then a few months later, cracked block, no warranty issues since everything on the car was Mountune.

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Sorry to hear ... but how’d they know you were tuned, did you tell them, or was the car not put back to stock when it went back to the dealer or is the car heavily modified, so it was obvious to them it was tuned ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors