Ford Focus RS Forum banner

2018 Ford Focus RS Gets Standard Limited-Slip Differential

21K views 71 replies 27 participants last post by  Dave-ROR 
#1 ·
<span lang="EN-US"></span>​

<span lang="EN-US">The current generation Ford Focus RS is about to get a whole lot of extra traction, with the 2018 version set to feature a standard limited-slip differential.

Limited to just 1,500 units in the U.S. and Canada, the entire crop of cars destined for North America will include a factory-fitted mechanical LSD up front to reduce wheel spin and improve cornering performance. Supplied by Quaife, the LSD will complement what is already a stellar drivetrain that includes a performance-tuned all-wheel drive system and active torque vectoring.

The decision to fit the Focus RS with a limited-slip differential comes following feedback online, with the automaker claiming its team scoured owner forums and enthusiast websites before honing in on the in-demand feature.</span>

<span lang="EN-US">Read more about the 2018 Ford Focus RS at AutoGuide.com.</span>

See less See more
#5 ·
\

You can get a 17 at invoice or less. 1000 production number 18 likely MSRP or more. Just put the $1,200 LSD in and move on IF you need it (most everyone here doesn't).

And someone ban this OP. Damn username advertises their site and they aren't a sponsor.

Reactions: mofoRS and RocketRS
#6 · (Edited)
Hey everyone !
I'm curious about what will this LSD actually do to the handling ?
I've read that it adds "understeer" or the feeling of it, also that it increases the steering wheel trying to re-center.
I drive an STI now (ordered the RS, waiting for it) and I really hate the way the steering feels, like it wants to go straight all the time it's like I'm back in a FWD :/ except if I apply enough force the car will turn now, if this will do the same no thanks while test driving the mk3 I enjoyed a steering that felt lighter
I'm not talking lap times here but of how the driving feels...I'm switching cars because I found the mk3 more fun to drive (at "spirited driving" speeds) than my sti

#8 · (Edited)
no sticker or black paint, it looks nice..if you like the look I guess
but after owning a black evo even if I live in the north, black ? no thanks your car becomes an oven in the summer, having a black bonet while it looks cool is horrible performance wise it will increase your engine and intake temps "for looks"
I would have loved the blue recaro seats to go with nitro blue
European Ford "packs" are usually expensive bling bling and nothing else the limited slip is a surprise for me

#10 ·
Kinda surprised no RS500. Aside from red and the lsd, I can do without the rest. Would love to see dst and weight reduction. Less weight is as good as more power.

Reactions: RocketRS
#13 ·
Why no torque vectoring front!? Lol.

Lsd sounds all old tech for our cars. Snap to it FP!

#15 ·
Sure, for the back.

I'm just teasing anyways. =)

#17 ·
Most of the shortcomings with the current RS was lack of front camber adjust. I thought that would have been on the "to fix" list.

Reactions: jmunjr
#66 ·
That's a tough spot for the automaker. Revising the entire suspension for just a handful of guys who will likely end up with coil overs anyway..

Interesting discussion about corner-exit understeer. I've not tracked mine yet, but driving the RS reasonably quickly on some tight mountain roads I've seen/felt what has seemed like slight tightening of the corner angle; perhaps it's the overspin of the outside rear wheel, but the car's nose seems to tucks in a touch when I'm back on the throttle, at least in the smallest and sharpest corners. It's not a exactly a RWD feeling--the rear suspension doesn't feel like its squatting in the same way as good RWD does, and the grip is such that I don't feel as though more throttle will quickly induce oversteer--it's a more "pushing" feel that the rear is shoving the nose in. This characteristic is actually something I've really come to enjoy about the dynamics of the car, though perhaps in autocross, if one is WOT on corner exit, the car ends up putting more power to the front and thus a bit of understeer?
It's definitely the rear. I had an instance where the rear end shut off due to heat on track and even on a wider turn I nearly drove off the road.

This car relies on the rear end more than you guys would think. If you pulled the fuse and went out on track, it might not be that noticeable but going from having it to not having it back to back was a huge difference.

I would like to drive one with a LSD.

#27 ·
Full disclosure: while I'm still not much in the LSD for the FoRS camp since the torque vectoring serves a purpose and is quite effective in mitigating some of the FWD bias, I was instrumental in developing a run of Quaife diffs for the Citroen tranny in the Esprit. While I haven't yet had the fortune to try it out, the racing SM ppl seem to like it. There's that puller vs pusher thing again. Horses for courses.

Reactions: OppositeLock
#28 ·
If nothing else it should reduce the damn brake based torque vectoring.. I'd welcome that additional pad life at the track..

#44 · (Edited)
Interesting discussion about corner-exit understeer. I've not tracked mine yet, but driving the RS reasonably quickly on some tight mountain roads I've seen/felt what has seemed like slight tightening of the corner angle; perhaps it's the overspin of the outside rear wheel, but the car's nose seems to tucks in a touch when I'm back on the throttle, at least in the smallest and sharpest corners. It's not a exactly a RWD feeling--the rear suspension doesn't feel like its squatting in the same way as good RWD does, and the grip is such that I don't feel as though more throttle will quickly induce oversteer--it's a more "pushing" feel that the rear is shoving the nose in. This characteristic is actually something I've really come to enjoy about the dynamics of the car, though perhaps in autocross, if one is WOT on corner exit, the car ends up putting more power to the front and thus a bit of understeer?

#48 ·
I worried similarly about cup2 wet performance. But surprisingly, they are extremely impressive in the wet.

I doubt they can handle a deep puddle. The outer tread blocks look like they will hydroplane easily. I haven't experienced any planeing myself yet though.

I'm more worried about cup2's operating temps. Even here in our mild SoCal winters, there are a few months of night temps below suggested operation. They do literally get hard and plastic like below 40.

#52 ·
I haven't had the chance to play with the new 4s.

What I can gather from various reviews the 4s has all the awesomeness of the cup2 with the street manners of the last gen pilot sport.

If I was looking for street tires, id jump on a set of 4s. But if I was looking for track/street rubber, I'd probably be looking at r888s.

Reactions: SurfCfl
#54 ·
From what I've gathered they won't hold up to the heat as well, nor have the same level of grip. All of which makes sense.

My favorite "budget" R comp these days is the RC1. Non budget, rock Hoosiers ;)

#59 · (Edited)
yes SurvCfl definitely
my favorite tires are the Yokohama AD08-R they are between street performance tires and semi-slick tires, great on track and totally ok on the wet
another thing I like about them compared to very sticky semi-slicks is that the AD08 still have the car moving around instead of being glued to the road which is more fun
no go for me as I'm required to have proper load rated tires and in Europe they aren't...87 or 88 and I need 91

#62 ·
Thanks, great info.

I wonder if continental will swap them out for me. Lol.

#64 ·
Did anyone else happen to notice that in the same release that Ford Performance also said "the Limited Edition RS is meant as a send-off for the Focus RS which will end production at the end of 2018."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.